PDA

View Full Version : Storytelling in DCA

roberts1398
08-20-2002, 10:22 AM
For Adrienne and others... I was reading a rather old article on storytelling in DLR, and noticed a mention on Stories from California, at the Awahnee area in DCA, which said it would be reviewed once experienced.

Has anyone seen this? Does it still exist?

disneynut
08-20-2002, 02:50 PM
I don't know if you are referring to storytelling at GC. I thought there was something there. But if you are referring to the indian storyteller at Redwood Creek Challenge Trail...it's really cool. My 4 y/o, 2 y/o, my husband and myself were completely taken with the storyteller. She was really good. She told a story about bear cubs, and as indian stories do, it all tied into being good to the earth and an explanation of where things in nature come from. I'm not doing the storyteller justice in trying to explain it, just go see it. She was great. After the show she stayed after to let my kids play with some of the props she used and visited with them.

Beware though....they rotate between this and a really lame show with Chip and Dale. Make sure it's this show and not Chip and Dale. Chip and Dale are great during their meet and greet after the show but the show will give you a headache it's so bad.

Uncle Dick
08-20-2002, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by disneynut
I don't know if you are referring to storytelling at GC. I thought there was something there. But if you are referring to the indian storyteller at Redwood Creek Challenge Trail...it's really cool. My 4 y/o, 2 y/o, my husband and myself were completely taken with the storyteller. She was really good. She told a story about bear cubs, and as indian stories do, it all tied into being good to the earth and an explanation of where things in nature come from. I'm not doing the storyteller justice in trying to explain it, just go see it. She was great.
A few months ago, I saw the storytellilng chick (and her loyal drum-beating assistant) recite the Miwok legend about the formation of El Capitan in Yosemite. While the audience was pretty small, I enjoyed hearing the story and appreciated the enthusiasm of the storytelling chick as she told the tale and acted out many of the roles. Even the drum beating guy, with his way-too-minor role, seemed interested as he set the pace for the story. A bit of humorous banter between the two performers and a refusal to talk down to the audience makes this show ideal for parents burned out on Buzz or Mickey's Dectective School. The shaded alcove where the show is presented provides a great places to rest during the long hot hours of the day.