PDA

View Full Version : Smoking in the park

Mad Hatter
08-20-2002, 01:02 AM
Well its been said alot,but here goes. As a Cm I see many people smoking throughout the park.I always ask them to put out their cigs,and let them know where the designated smoking areas are. What burns me is I see people smoking right next to an ODV and the Cm just ignores them. I can't do this by myself, so if you are a cast member,remember that most people dont want to smell others smoke! PS I smoke so I know what its like,I try to stay away from others while I enjoy my habit. PASS THE WORD! :eek:

Darkbeer
08-20-2002, 08:52 AM
Mad Hatter, I know that there are some just rude Smokers, just as there are some just rude Anti-smoking fanatics, but don't forget that Disneyland has a lot of foreign visitors where smoking outside is never questioned, California is one of the few places where smoking is so tightly controlled, some many people who smoke at the park have NO IDEA that they aren't supposed to be smoking there.

So if you see someone smoking, be nice to them, and politely explain to them where they can go to smoke... and be prepared to have a language problem on occasion.... Most smokers will gladly respond if they are told nicely....

The problem I have seen more than once is when a GUEST goes up to a smoker, and goes off on a tirade on another guest, who looks complelety confused and baffled, and will usually make some type of comment to the reast of his/her group after the guest leaves, what was that about??? Most foriegn smokers understand about not smoking indoors, but just are shocked to hear that you can't smoke outdoors in certain places......

kranders
08-20-2002, 09:27 AM
Mad Hatter, thanks for your efforts...they are appreciated!:)
I think that it would help if Disneyland posted their smoking rules prominently at the front of the park. You need to really look to find what the rules are, they are on the maps. I think that a lot of the guests just don't know that there are designated smoking areas and would comply if they were aware.

Berry Princess
08-20-2002, 09:29 AM
I am not a CM but have 2 kids (4 yrs and 5 months). When I had taken my 4 yr old last year when I was pregnant we were sitting outside City Hall waiting for the parade to start. There are tons of kids around. This older guy lights up. I saw a CM and asked her to say something since I shouldn't be the one too. She goes up and tells them they need to go to the smoking areas and where they are. Well the guy turns around and asks if he could finish it right there and she said yes. I couldn't believe that. He should had been told no. I am assuming she might have been afraid to say no but should have. I know that most the people I see smoking there are very aware of the smoking areas but could care less. I do wish the CMs would speak up to those that the see and tell them to put it out and finish in the smoking area. Those CMs that do tell the smokers what to do and where to go...thank you.
What it is ridiculious are those that take their young kids to the smoking areas. I saw at least 4 kids in the one by Thunder Mt last night when we were walking by.

hefferdude
08-20-2002, 10:42 AM
I am not a CM.;).
I am an AP'er and frequent guest at DLR.:p.
When at DLR or anywhere else, I applaud any CM
or even guest who takes a moment to politely remind a
smoker that he/she/it is affecting other guest's enjoyment
of the park. I try to be charitable but sometimes ya gotta be assertive.
Personal rights to smoke baloney aside, the
point is, it's affecting everyone's experience!:mad:
I don't believe being culturally sensitive includes becoming
awash in another person's tobacco!
It stinks.
It stinks up your hair, your clothes and your day.

If anyone asks me " Mind if I smoke?"
My answer is "No problem, just get up close here
while I break wind..."

:eek:

Willabark
08-20-2002, 11:36 AM
While I have no problems with the smoking section there are some things that bug me.
I was sitting in DCA smoking in the smoking section by cali screamin, the one by the water, this woman walks up to the railing with her kid and looks out on the water looks over at me smoking and says "would you mind smoking somewhere else there is a CHILD present".
I was flabergasted, she walked ionto the smoking area and tells me to go smoke somewhere else.
I tell you it was very difficut not to be extremely rude to the woman.

disguy
08-20-2002, 12:12 PM
Willabark,

I know how you feel I get that a lot. My blood boils and I get ready to explode at the person. I smoked in a non smoking section of DCA I was told to put it out and I did. The reason I smoked was beause I haden't been to the resort in two years so I had no idea.

I will tell smokers to smoke in the section and I will show the "bird" to a non smoker who is in the smoking section to tell me to put it out :)

corrinhorn
08-20-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Mad Hatter
What burns me is I see people smoking right next to an ODV and the Cm just ignores them.

hey, don't blame it on us...

We do our best, but we have a cart we have to watch. If a guest is 20 feet away, and they cannot hear us asking them to put it out, or refuses to listen, then there is not much else we can do. we can't leave the cart while there is a long line, and walk over to the guest and inform them of the finer points of smoking in the park ODV is a job where you are out there all the time answering questions, finding lost children, telling guests not to smoke, watching out for guests who might be endangering themselves or others, and selling to a long line of guests. If I were to stop the line everytime that I saw someone smoking anywhere in the park, then I would be looking for another job. I ask everyone I see who is smoking to put it out and move to the nearest area, but ya know what, if they have one or two more drags left, I am not gonna bother with it. I hate smoke, and I don't like smokers very much, but they are guests too. If it is somebody who has a really bad attitude, I will, but otherwise, by the time I finish asking them to extinguish the cig, and move to the nearest smoking area, they are usually done with the smoke anyway, so it wastes my time as well as theirs.

However, if the guest is rude to other guests, I will wait until they light up, and then ask them to put it out. :D

so don't presume that because A cast member isn't asking a guest to stop smoking, we haven't tried!

JeffG
08-20-2002, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by disguy
I know how you feel I get that a lot. My blood boils and I get ready to explode at the person. I smoked in a non smoking section of DCA I was told to put it out and I did. The reason I smoked was beause I haden't been to the resort in two years so I had no idea.

I will tell smokers to smoke in the section and I will show the "bird" to a non smoker who is in the smoking section to tell me to put it out :)

Keep in mind that the non-smoker asking you to put out the cigarette may be every bit as unaware of the smoking areas as you were on your recent visit. If the person asking you not to smoke is being polite about it, I see no reason why you shouldn't be equally polite when explaining that they are in a designated smoking area.

Unfortunately, a few of the smoking areas have not been extremely well thought out. The Paradise Pier one, for example, is a bit closer to the carousel than it probably should be. Very likely, the woman that made the comment to Willabark was unaware that Disney happened to place a designated smoking area in an area where a lot of young children are likely to be nearby.

An even worse example that I saw a few weeks ago was that they had the disabled access line for the Beach Boys going right through a smoking section. Obviously, that was a very, very bad idea. Even with that being a designated smoking area, I would hope smokers would have been understanding had someone with respiratory problems asked them to move a little further away.

-Jeff

hefferdude
08-20-2002, 02:58 PM
I will tell smokers to smoke in the section and I will show the "bird" to a non smoker who is in the smoking section to tell me to put it out

Why not. A smoker is already giving themselves
the "bird" anyway. Why not share? :D

And now ladies and gentlemen, for the bonus round!!!
[ applause ]
What famous person died from lung cancer attributed
to life long smoking?

Tick. Tick. tick.....Give up?