PDA

View Full Version : A "House of Mouse" Eatery?

Niwel
01-24-2008, 10:54 AM
While watching House of Mouse this morning I was thinking that the HOM club concept would be really cool eatery in DCA.

Sort of akin to the ABC Soap Opera Bistro they had when they first opened ... it would be a lot like the Sci-fi Drive In at MGM or Animator's on DCL.

No characters necessarily, but a lot of screens showing classic Disney cartoons and movies ... with interactive areas around the restaurant and items names after some of the best: Hades Hot Tamales; Mad Hatter Iced Tea; etc....

Just an idea ... I shake my head at the lack of decent eating places in the Hollywood section.

Bytebear
01-24-2008, 11:08 AM
Well, they have that buffeteria that is unused next to Monsters, Inc. They could reopen it.

tinker3
01-24-2008, 01:43 PM
^I remember that buffeteria, I think we were able to eat there once or twice! I haven't thought about what happened to it, is it just sitting there or was it refurbed into something else?

Great idea Niwel! I have only been to WDW once but I LOVED the sci-fi diner. A house of Mouse one would be great, and a big hit with kids! Does anyone remember the short life of the "club disney's" back in the late 90's? If I remember correctly they had a fun eating area that showed movies. You could make it easy by doing it buffet style.

I am also amazed that there are so few choices of eating.

olegc
01-24-2008, 02:14 PM
well, the DCA makeover plan included the Drive-in restaurant themed to Cars - but apparently that is one of the first things that received the axe already - or at least was put in the "nice to have" list.

it would be good but where to put it? you could try the old Food Court (now used for special events) but everything else is too small. Maybe as an afterthought when all the other constuctions is done - and they need to do something with the Millionaire soundstage. However, it seems that the corner back there is akin to the Critter COuntry corner - best used as an exit for things and not a destination..

charpaul
01-25-2008, 08:25 AM
My understanding of the CARS Land dining place: they decided that they would not have room for it at this time because the attractions were going to take up more space than they had originally anticipated. At least that is what I heard on another site.....

I LOVE the Sci-Fi Dine In at Walt Disney Studios FL - I had hoped for something like it in the new CARS land. :(

Maybe they could do something like it in Hollywood Backlot area - we all know that they need something better for Food back there in that corner of the park.

TTFN92
01-25-2008, 01:03 PM
My understanding of the CARS Land dining place: they decided that they would not have room for it at this time because the attractions were going to take up more space than they had originally anticipated. At least that is what I heard on another site......

From what I read it was just a money issue and maybe they could put it in at a later date. I agree that they need more places to eat. I also think that they need more "food". I was reading the menus and the majority of meals were sandwiches and salads. While that may be fine in the summer, I would like a real meal without having to go to a sit down. I really liked Riverbelle but now it's just salads and sandwiches. I'm sure they are good, but.... I also like to eat at Taste Pilot's in DCA. At least they have yummy ribs :p.

Sci-Fi Dine In was so much fun. I know that people complain about it but we really liked it. It was great to eat at with the dining plan. It would definitley have been perfect for Cars Land.

Drince88
01-25-2008, 01:17 PM
Just an idea ... I shake my head at the lack of decent eating places in the Hollywood section.
The only eating there now is the hotdog window (just a few tables outside on the sidewalk) and the smoothie window, right? Or am I missing something? They've got a lot of room to improve and still not get into 'decent'!

Niwel
01-25-2008, 01:21 PM
The only eating there now is the hotdog window (just a few tables outside on the sidewalk) and the smoothie window, right? Or am I missing something? They've got a lot of room to improve and still not get into 'decent'!

They have a food trailer in the back by Monster's Inc ... and some ice cream carts.... and the market that has fruit and veggies and juice.

olegc
01-25-2008, 01:33 PM
They have a food trailer in the back by Monster's Inc ... and some ice cream carts.... and the market that has fruit and veggies and juice.

all of that points to one very huge problem in DCA. There is not a variety of foods. It';s the same in different parts of the park - and between DCA and Disneyland. They are not "unique". Yes, the variations of dogs and sausages are different at Award Weiners vs Main Street Coke Corner - but Pizza Ooom Mow Mow is almost a carbon copy menu wise from PizzaPort, and how many different places can sell burgers, sandwiches, salads, and soup in a bread bowl. We had variety in DCA but because it was not an immediate hit it was shut down to save $$.

jeffthechef
01-25-2008, 02:16 PM
I had the same idea a couple years ago for a HoM themed eatery. They could put audio-animatronics of all of the different characters along the walls-- mabye up on a balcony circleing the theater, and they could say and do things every so often. "Mike" could also be animated and introduce the cartoons, just like the show:D

lizziemcguire76
01-25-2008, 02:29 PM
That's too bad about them already axing the idea of the cars restaurant, i think it would have been a really neat idea and have gone over really well.

IllusionOfLife
01-26-2008, 10:49 AM
all of that points to one very huge problem in DCA. There is not a variety of foods. It';s the same in different parts of the park - and between DCA and Disneyland. They are not "unique". Yes, the variations of dogs and sausages are different at Award Weiners vs Main Street Coke Corner - but Pizza Ooom Mow Mow is almost a carbon copy menu wise from PizzaPort, and how many different places can sell burgers, sandwiches, salads, and soup in a bread bowl.

While I agree there should be some more specialty restaurants in DCA, you have to take into account that it's always been like this, even before 2001. I mean Disneyland resort, as a whole, has very limited menu variations. For instance The Hungry Bear is the same as Tomorrowland Terrace is the same as Village Haus Restaurant (Riverbelle Terrace was on that list until the refurb). There are a few more deviations from the standard counter service burgers, fries, and chicken (i.e. Rancho del Zocalo and Bengal Barbeque), but still it's very similar.

As far as the idea for a House of Mouse restaurant goes, I like the idea but I can see a semi-major problem: the show for which the restaurant would be based on has more or less died, House of Mouse has been sent to ToonDisney retirement home–I mean channel, and for the most part has been forgotten by the general public (only Disney Nerds like us here really remember it). It would not be in Disney's best interest to invest in an outdated concept like that; Honey, I Shrunk the Audience is the same problem, both House of Mouse and Honey, I Shrunk the Kids are old enough to be forgotten but not old enough to be nostalgic.

What I think would be better would be to have a restaurant with a similar concept (classic disney cartoons, clever food names, etc.) but come up with a more original theme than The House of Mouse. It's a good concept, but tying it to a dying show could kill it.

–Solar Surfer

houseofmouse
01-26-2008, 10:55 AM
I like that idea, my kids love H.O.M. but they could also call it something different. A new place to eat and have fun is an idea they really should implement. :)

JEANYSANCHEZ38
01-26-2008, 11:42 AM
yeah me too! I love House of Mouse!

olegc
01-26-2008, 02:37 PM
While I agree there should be some more specialty restaurants in DCA, you have to take into account that it's always been like this, even before 2001. I mean Disneyland resort, as a whole, has very limited menu variations. For instance The Hungry Bear is the same as Tomorrowland Terrace is the same as Village Haus Restaurant (Riverbelle Terrace was on that list until the refurb). There are a few more deviations from the standard counter service burgers, fries, and chicken (i.e. Rancho del Zocalo and Bengal Barbeque), but still it's very similar.
(edit)
What I think would be better would be to have a restaurant with a similar concept (classic disney cartoons, clever food names, etc.) but come up with a more original theme than The House of Mouse. It's a good concept, but tying it to a dying show could kill it.

–Solar Surfer

I know - but I can still vent, can't I :).. I remember when they had popcorn shrimp and fish at Fowler's harbor (instead of fries which are just some steps the other way). I guess it's like all companies try to do - limit the amount of variety or variations to limit the amount of inventory and number of vendors you're dealing with. I get it - but I don't like it.

As for HOM - I like the restaurant they have on one of the cruise ships. Themed to Art and Sketching characters - the pictures on the walls change from mere sketches to complete portraits of your favorite characters while you dine (a complete meal of course).

IllusionOfLife
01-26-2008, 04:17 PM
As for HOM - I like the restaurant they have on one of the cruise ships. Themed to Art and Sketching characters - the pictures on the walls change from mere sketches to complete portraits of your favorite characters while you dine (a complete meal of course).

Yeah I went on a Disney cruise a couple years back, and the first night we ate in the Animator's Palate and it was absolutely amazing, the only problem was since it was the first night all the other restaurants afterward couldn't compare, they were still good, just not presented in such an amazing fashion :)

–Solar Surfer

Bytebear
01-26-2008, 04:32 PM
I hate to say it, but I don't think they will make an entertaining restaurant. They want you to eat fast, and clear the tables, and go buy some merchandise. If you have a restaurant theme that encourages loitering, it will be scrapped in the very early idea stage by corporate paper pushers.