PDA

View Full Version : DLR by Flight

disguy
08-19-2002, 11:10 AM
As you know I'm from San Jose so it's about a 4.5 hour drive. Well I went on Southwest.com and found two people can fly into orange for a total of 167.00 round trip! My question is...do you think it's worth it? Reason why I'm having trouble is Disneyland is close to JW Airport...but...my plan was 5 days at DLR 1 day at knotts and 2 days at Magic Mt (on the way home) so would it make sence to get a shuttle from Magic Mt to airport? Or should I just stick with driving?

Thanks for your help! I hope I put this in the correct area.

MammaSilva
08-19-2002, 11:15 AM
disguy, drive! When we lived 700 miles away I flew, now that I'm only 450 I drive everytime, reason.... time! now with the new security issues, the airport 2 hours early, 1 hour flight time, another hour getting off the plane, get luggage, get shuttle get to airport...total each way at least 4 hours and that doesn't count parking time, or parking costs... since some folks have someone who can ddrive them to the terminal and pick them up, where we are I'm at least 45 minutes from any airport so that adds an hour to our flight as well each way.. then when we get to the hotel we are on foot or rely on shuttles, vans or taxis, all added expenses.... the flight is $1 67.00, but that doesn't include ground transportation while you are there, even in my gas guzzler I only use about two and a half tanks round trip, less than 100 bucks (BIG tank in the yukon) and I have freedom to run to the market, or eat off property or run over to the El Capitan for a special show... ....and it isn't a bad drive on I-5, put the car at 79 mph, hit cruise control and you're good to go until you hit the grapevine!

EandCDad
08-19-2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by disguy
As you know I'm from San Jose so it's about a 4.5 hour drive. Well I went on Southwest.com and found two people can fly into orange for a total of 167.00 round trip! My question is...do you think it's worth it? Reason why I'm having trouble is Disneyland is close to JW Airport...but...my plan was 5 days at DLR 1 day at knotts and 2 days at Magic Mt (on the way home) so would it make sence to get a shuttle from Magic Mt to airport? Or should I just stick with driving?

Thanks for your help! I hope I put this in the correct area.

If you aren't gonna rent a car, I'd say drive it. The places you are going are relatively spread out and taking shuttles between them and back to the airport will not be cheap and will inflate that good airfare price.

roberts1398
08-19-2002, 11:27 AM
Without SFMM, I'd say fly. But Magic Mtn is -- what? 1 1/2 hours? -- from JW, and I imagine the shuttle won't be cheap. And then you're also reliant upon their hours, as I'm sure they don't exactly run every 15 minutes ...

So I'd agree ... Drive!

mad4mky
08-19-2002, 11:43 AM
If you plan on going other places than the DLR...by all means...drive. Since you live in San Jose (I live fairly near you...just a little north...on the SF Peninsula)... we drive quite often. And, it's nice to have a car when you want to go other places...

Now, my daughter and I are flying in October to go to DLR...but we will only be going to DLR. We'd love to hop on over to Mrs. Knott's for breakfast one morning...but we will forgo it this once.

:rolleyes:

Disney Nick
08-19-2002, 01:13 PM
As you know I'm from San Jose so it's about a 4.5 hour drive.
K I'm from San jose too and I don't know how the hell you drive but it takes me at least 5 1/2 - 6 hours from SJ to the DLR, and I drive 90-100 MPH on the 5. You have that stupid construction just South of SJ on 101 and the god awful LA traffic. I can get from SJ to Magic Mountain in maybe 4-4 1/2 hrs, but LA traffic just kills me. Even when I'm coming from SLO it takes me about 4- 4 1/2 hrs to get to the DLR (3 1/2 if I drive at midnight when there is no traffic).

rexfarms
08-19-2002, 01:44 PM
Drive. lol

disguy
08-19-2002, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by NMoreles

K I'm from San jose too and I don't know how the hell you drive but it takes me at least 5 1/2 - 6 hours from SJ to the DLR, and I drive 90-100 MPH on the 5. You have that stupid construction just South of SJ on 101 and the god awful LA traffic. I can get from SJ to Magic Mountain in maybe 4-4 1/2 hrs, but LA traffic just kills me. Even when I'm coming from SLO it takes me about 4- 4 1/2 hrs to get to the DLR (3 1/2 if I drive at midnight when there is no traffic).

Ok yes I drive a bit over the speed limit just a bit. Of all the times I've gone to DLR it's always taken me about 4.5 hours...that is So Cal if you add LA traffic that can be 30-2hours depending on traffic.

Disney Nick
08-19-2002, 02:17 PM

Ok yes I drive a bit over the speed limit just a bit. Of all the times I've gone to DLR it's always taken me about 4.5 hours...that is So Cal if you add LA traffic that can be 30-2hours depending on traffic.
K so that's your time to SoCal. VERY different than time do DLR. LA Traffic WILL add at least 1 hour - 2 hours.

Morrigoon
08-19-2002, 10:00 PM
drive, unless you want to get a weekly car rental (here's an idea: rent a car, THEN drive to DL... it'll cost you the same $150 or so, and no wear and tear on your own vehicle!)

kranders
08-20-2002, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
here's an idea: rent a car, THEN drive to DL... it'll cost you the same $150 or so, and no wear and tear on your own vehicle! Been there...done that! :) Actually it's a very good idea!

hefferdude
08-20-2002, 07:13 AM
Drive.
By the time you figure checkin/checkout at the
airport, baggage, cab,bus etc etc you've got your
4.5 hours already and all the hidden $ associated
with flying. The airport shuttle from JW to DLR (drops
right next to Hojo's) is about $20-$30 at least.
Also, I checked Super Shuttle from Burbank to Anaheim
RT for a relative. Think it was $60 (ouch:eek: ) and
MM is ~1.5 hours away.

We live in So Cal ( to the northwest of DLR )
and its still 3.5 hours for us each
way 6 times a year on the ave.:)

roberts1398
08-20-2002, 07:36 AM
Actually, I got a rate of $8/person each way on Super Shuttle from John Wayne...

And flat rate for a cab is $30 each way...

But I still think driving is the best way, and I agree with the rental car idea ... I did that once for a trip from Sacramento to Portland OR, and it was wonderful...

disguy
08-20-2002, 12:15 PM
I smoke in my car....so most car places don't allow you to smoke. Well, I keep all the windows and sun roof open and keep it out the window but still smells at times. So I don't normally rent a car.

stinkerbell
08-20-2002, 01:25 PM
Drive. I live 942 miles up I-5 and we like the drive down to Disneyland. :) It's about 14 hours for us. But I just like to do it. Nothing like hitting the grapevine at dawn. By then, I am so pumped, it doesn't matter that I haven't slept a wink!

Disney Nick
08-20-2002, 01:28 PM
If you are going to rent a car, fly. If not drive. Personally I almost always drive from SJ or SLO to Disneyland, but that's because I go almost every other week (sometimes more often :)). This December when my mom and I go (meeting my brother there, so we won't need a car :)), we are flying and got a great deal on SouthWest. We will probably be staying at the GCH hotel w/ conceirge (or the Carousel Inn, whichever seems better at the time, we have ressies for both ;)). In any case enjoy yourself.

socabch
08-20-2002, 07:16 PM
I don't know how the hell you drive but it takes me at least 5 1/2 - 6 hours from SJ to the DLR, and I drive 90-100 MPH on the 5.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. When I lived in Fremont it took about 6 1/2 hours with no food stops and good traffic. Fremonts about 20 mins. north of downtown San Jose.

I'd say drive unless you were to rent a car. It's nice to have a car for last minute things you want to do. Like if you decide to get groceries instead of eating out all the time. Unless you are in a big hurry use 101 when going home. Depending on the time of day. Once you are north of Thousand Oaks it's gets to be a nice drive. Stop in Santa Barbara or Pismo Beach for a break. Pismo has a great billards place with best burgers and onion rings. It's called Hot Shots. Sorry to get off the path, just dreaming of one of trips.