PDA

View Full Version : Who can answer these attraction questions for me?

River Belle
01-21-2008, 09:08 PM
These have likely been addressed on MP before, but I've somehow missed them. I'm curious (like the oysters) about some changes to a couple of attractions:

1.) On POTC, there's a scene to the left (before the jail scene) with three men standing and singing together. Didn't there used to be a dog there? Where has he gone?

2.) The cabin you see while riding the Mark Twain has had a face-lift. Can anyone tell me why they did away with the flames? I know this is old news, but I'm still curious.:)

Thanks!!!

Werner
01-21-2008, 10:14 PM
Hi River Belle,
I think I know the trio you're talking about -- one of them has an accordian, right? As to their furry friend, wasn't it a donkey? Not sure where he went, maybe he's having some work done! I'm wondering myself why they got rid of the real fire on that cabin on the river. But I bet someone out there will know!

BIRDGIRLS
01-22-2008, 04:52 AM
I'm pretty sure there used to be a dog in the POTC scene.. I think it was to the right of the guy in the blue striped shirt. But I haven't been on POTC in a while so I could be wrong.

Foodie
01-22-2008, 05:51 AM
As for the flames, I heard it was because it was politically incorrect to have the whole "house warming" joke and saying it was an attack by Native Americans on the house, which is what the story used to be. Once the joke was no longer appropriate, there was no reason to keep the flames.

It's probably a combination of political correctness and cost, but who knows!

-Foodie

ssturgeo
01-22-2008, 06:07 AM
I noticed the missing dog when we were there in November.

Malcon10t
01-22-2008, 06:55 AM
There used to be a dog there, don't know if it is missing. I know for sure, because we had one dog who would get all excited when we passed his "friend".

saucydiva
01-22-2008, 08:17 AM
Yes, that dog has been missing for months now, and I miss him terribly because he was my single favorite character in POTC (now that Lumpy Butt Guy and his plundered treasure had to make way for the final Johnny Depp). The doggy barked along with the singing pirates, and his barks have been removed from the soundtrack so he's been rubbed out pretty thoroughly. (I now bark on his behalf -- "a pirate's life for meeee" "ruff ruff!")

twinklelittlebat
01-23-2008, 07:34 PM
Yeah, I definitely miss that dog. And "lumpy butt" guy!

I wonder if maybe the fire was taken out to be sensitive to fire victims of the CA wildfires...probably not.

leota's necklace
01-28-2008, 04:39 AM
Yes, that dog has been missing for months now, and I miss him terribly because he was my single favorite character in POTC (now that Lumpy Butt Guy and his plundered treasure had to make way for the final Johnny Depp). The doggy barked along with the singing pirates, and his barks have been removed from the soundtrack so he's been rubbed out pretty thoroughly. (I now bark on his behalf -- "a pirate's life for meeee" "ruff ruff!")

Oh, thank god I'm not the only one. "Ruff ruff!"

And I always thought of the Lumpy Pirate as possessing too much Pirate Booty.

petesimac
01-28-2008, 06:45 AM
That's right! I remember. I'm wondering if they've gotten rid of it at WDW as well. I was just there last summer but you can't look for what you don't remember. I'll ask my mom; she's going in April; to FL that is.

Bytebear
01-28-2008, 04:30 PM
Yeah, I definitely miss that dog. And "lumpy butt" guy!

I wonder if maybe the fire was taken out to be sensitive to fire victims of the CA wildfires...probably not.

On a trivia note, the "lumpy butt" pirate who was dragging a huge sack of treasure, was originally part of the Nature Wonderland (pre-Big Thunder Mountain) and was pulling a mule. (please correct me if I am wrong)

stan4d_steph
01-29-2008, 05:46 AM
That's right! I remember. I'm wondering if they've gotten rid of it at WDW as well. I was just there last summer but you can't look for what you don't remember. I'll ask my mom; she's going in April; to FL that is.The dog was also missing at WDW when I rode a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps they are at some sort of AA dog convention.

nvmom
01-29-2008, 07:05 AM
On the subject of POTC... can somebody tell me how diff it is at WDW vs DLR? I've read it's shorter? Is there still a drop at the beginning? Thanks... And I remember that dog too! :)

nvmom

Skarlett
02-13-2008, 10:44 AM
I've thought that the dog barking at the barrel where Jack pokes out of to look at the map looks like the dog that used to sing.
I just presumed they moved him in the attraction to that spot-he barks the same too.

danyoung
02-13-2008, 03:14 PM
On a trivia note, the "lumpy butt" pirate who was dragging a huge sack of treasure, was originally part of the Nature Wonderland (pre-Big Thunder Mountain) and was pulling a mule. (please correct me if I am wrong)

Sorry, but if you're talking about the guys that were trying to pull the load of booty up the ramp, they were originally part of the World of Motion in Epcot. You are right in that they were trying to get a cranky mule up on its feet and loaded onto a riverboat.

DaDuckFan1955
02-13-2008, 03:40 PM
Yes when I was there in April 2007 Here is a picture of the Dog to the left.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2890205500046838361TGIcus

Klutch
02-13-2008, 03:51 PM
On the subject of POTC... can somebody tell me how diff it is at WDW vs DLR? I've read it's shorter? Is there still a drop at the beginning? Thanks... And I remember that dog too! :)

nvmom

The Magic Kingdom version of PoTC is shorter and less elaborate than PoTC at Disneyland. There are drops in the MK version, but they are very minor and nothing like the DL drops.

Of course, this begs the question, "Why?". When Magic Kingdom was originally planned, PoTC was not part of the attractions list. As I recall, there was much disappointment by the public about this. (Although, I have no idea how this disappointment was expressed considering there was no Internet in 1970. Letters or company surveys, perhaps?) Anyway, although running when the park originally opened, PoTC was added late in the game and in a scaled-down version at MK.

Furthermore, I'm convinced the reason there are no large drops at MK is because you can't dig very deep in central Florida without hitting water. The reply to this statement is often, "Well, the utilidors at MK are underground". This is actually not the case. At MK, the utilidors were built at what is pretty much ground level. Then lots of landfill was built up around and on top of them. The park was built atop the landfill. This was done in order to put the park, and especially the castle, at a higher level to be visible from a distance to add to the excitement of approach.

So, although PoTC and the utilidors at MK are below the street level, they are not really below ground level.

One more fun fact: At MK, the Haunted Mansion stretching elevator doesn't move. The ceiling rises; probably for the same reason PoTC isn't underground.

nvmom
02-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Interesting info. Thanks. :)

nvmom

rfaljean
02-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Excellent photos DaDuckFan1955 !!!!!!!

ralfrick
02-19-2008, 07:26 AM
Furthermore, I'm convinced the reason there are no large drops at MK is because you can't dig very deep in central Florida without hitting water. The reply to this statement is often, "Well, the utilidors at MK are underground". This is actually not the case. At MK, the utilidors were built at what is pretty much ground level. Then lots of landfill was built up around and on top of them. The park was built atop the landfill. This was done in order to put the park, and especially the castle, at a higher level to be visible from a distance to add to the excitement of approach.

So, although PoTC and the utilidors at MK are below the street level, they are not really below ground level.

One more fun fact: At MK, the Haunted Mansion stretching elevator doesn't move. The ceiling rises; probably for the same reason PoTC isn't underground.

Water tables may certainly figure into it. However, the original reason for both the drops and the stretching room at DL is because one must get under the RR tracks to reach the show buildings, which are outside the berm.

Cheers.

danyoung
02-19-2008, 07:43 AM
You are correct in that the drops were for a totally practical reason. Folks complained early on that the same drops weren't included in the Florida version, but they simply weren't feasible given the high water table.