PDA

View Full Version : Who rode "it's a small world" tonight?

River Belle
01-21-2008, 08:54 PM
We made our final voyage at about 7:15 p.m. tonight. I'm wondering who was in the last boat of the night...

I still can't believe we won't be riding for another ten months...:crying:

Pastafarian
01-21-2008, 10:47 PM
That is so great that you got to experience it on one of the final voyages of "this era".

It should be a great experience when it opens again

disneyhound
01-22-2008, 07:09 AM
But, what about all the big, BIG changes...

Pastafarian
01-22-2008, 08:18 AM
What era? It should look as it does now when it reopens, except in pristine condition.

It will be the same but it will be different, lol. It will have new boats and a new flume system. Just like when they change over the bobsleds on the matterhorn to the new ones, the ride will remain unchanged, but, it will be the end of "the way it was for 50 plus years".

Trogdor the Burninator
01-22-2008, 12:41 PM
It will be the same but it will be different, lol. It will have new boats and a new flume system. Just like when they change over the bobsleds on the matterhorn to the new ones, the ride will remain unchanged, but, it will be the end of "the way it was for 50 plus years".

Um, last I checked it's a small world opened in 1966. That makes it only 42 years old. But you are right, it will feel different. Who knows maybe we'll like the new boats though?

Another Dimension
01-22-2008, 04:15 PM
I rode IaSWH between 7 and 8 last night...

It's a Small World Holiday is always fun and I hadn't ridden it since '06.

I only waited about 10 mins, with both sides open!

The fun loader CM asked me how my Holiday Season was going!
Good stuff!!

:D

PanFan
01-22-2008, 04:38 PM
There was a couple who waited a long time to be the last guests. They had their own boat. We actually closed the line a little late because we saw a family walking quickly toward us as The Voice was speaking. We didn't want to cut them off when they couldn't ride again until November, so we let them in. As soon as everyone was off, the fun began!

Almost everyone who works IASW was there for the closing crew party (as well as some old friends who have since moved on to other departments). We all brought food from around the world (I brought soda bread from Ireland) and got to take our filled plates with us on a dinner cruise. When we returned, we got new plates filled with desserts and took another trip. By the time I returned from my second trip around, they were already taking down the wreaths and lights from the clock (and MS was still open at this point--they didn't waste any time!).

Then we got all of the leads and trainers and the IASW manager together for the absolute last cruise. I was in the front row of that boat and, WOW, was that a fun trip! There were other IASW CM's running around inside taking pictures of themselves with various dolls and certain lights were off throughout the ride (like the canopy in South America, the backlights on the banners between South Seas and Finale, and all of the hanging decorations in Finale, including the big Peace on Earth one). It was like maintenance was no-so-subtly saying, "Okay, enough already! Go home!" We all clapped as we exited the show building and stood around on the dock taking pictures for a long time as they started putting up the wall that will surround the attraction for the next 10 months.

By the time we left at 12:00, the flume was already half-drained and they had forklifts carrying the *old* boats away from the building. Though the reason for the event was sad and in general I'm really not a party person, I had an absolute blast last night!

OMG I love my job!

River Belle
01-22-2008, 04:46 PM
Thanks so much, Panfan!!! I was sooooo curious about the final voyage, and your post gave me all the lovely details! I looked for you last night, but didn't see you.:( I did, however, hear some talk of the "party," and am so happy you decided to post about it. Sounds like a really great time!

Where should we look for you for the next nine months?:)

PanFan
01-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Yesterday I was actually working the Matterhorn from opening until about 5:00. I came back for the party about 8:30 and was hanging out in front of IASW and in the break room until closing at 10:00. I've asked for variety in my schedules (I don't want to be stuck at any one attraction) and my next two have me working every ride I know (save IASW, of course), so I'll be all over FL.

However, applications for Dream Squad go out in April for the May-August session. As a DS CM, you can still work your area when DS doesn't need you, so I could still visit FL. But I know I would get a lot of tools for making magic, which is the best part of working at DL, and would learn a lot of things that I could bring back to FL and become a better attractions CM. And the session is timed perfectly so I could still be a part of the test and adjust team for IASW before we reopen. I still haven't decided, but I'm definitely leaning towards applying!

MauiMickey
01-22-2008, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the details of the IASW closing party, PanFan! I am sad that we won't get to ride IASW on our next trip, but look forward to the new and improved attraction when it reopens.

SCTrojan65
01-22-2008, 07:04 PM
Cool, Pan. Your story brings back fond memories. My last shift as an Attractions Host, after ten years as an RO at Disneyland, was on World.
It's been 15 years now...I can't believe how fast time has gone since I left the park. We had an "end of summer" party inside the attraction, and after reading your posting about last night's closing of the attraction for major rehab, I'm glad I have all the pictures of myself inside the attraction, among the dolls and sets. Never thought how valuable it would be to have those pictures. With the attraction changing somewhat now, I'm glad I have 'em. Even if they were taken 15 years ago. :) Thanks for sharing.

pixar
01-23-2008, 07:22 AM
However, applications for Dream Squad go out in April for the May-August session. As a DS CM, you can still work your area when DS doesn't need you, so I could still visit FL. But I know I would get a lot of tools for making magic, which is the best part of working at DL, and would learn a lot of things that I could bring back to FL and become a better attractions CM. And the session is timed perfectly so I could still be a part of the test and adjust team for IASW before we reopen. I still haven't decided, but I'm definitely leaning towards applying!

the dream squad sounds like something I'd take time off from my work to be part of! hopefully you get the "job" if you apply. :)

MermaidHair
01-23-2008, 08:28 AM
But, what about all the big, BIG changes...

Would you be talking about the Loop?

DisneyDustin22
01-23-2008, 11:14 AM
Would you be talking about the Loop?

No there wont be a loop when it re-opens.

It'll be a corkscrew! :p

Heaven Is Disneyland
01-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Thank you, PanFan for that great post. I love hearing about your job adventures!

I am so sad, my daughter is going to forget that ride, she will be two on St. Patrick's Day and at this point, you know how kids are, out of sight out of mind.....

I was pleasantly surprised to see there is a lot of footage of the ride on the new Disney Treasures DVD about Disneyland that I got for Christmas.

So, my daughter can watch that and hopefully she won't totally forget the ride.