PDA

View Full Version : Overhead paging in the Resort

doubleA
01-21-2008, 09:19 AM
Heya-

We were at Disneyland from 12PM-6PM yesterday, and kept hearing overhead pages. We heard at least four, saying "Richard Snyder, please contact the Disneyland Resort Operator"

I've never heard an overhead page for a guest to contact the Disneyland operator before. Does anyone know the circumstances under which they'll put out an overhead page?

Given that they were looking for this gentleman for at least 6 hours, and it warranted at least 4 pages, it seemed like it had to be pretty serious. I'm assuming they don't do this for a lost wallet, or AP or something... but maybe a lost child?

Just curious if anyone happens to know!

bug
01-21-2008, 09:54 AM
Hmmm, very interesting. Maybe it was this Richard Snyder:

(born c1959) is the current Chairman and Interim CEO of Gateway.[1] He has been a director at the company since 1991 and has served the position of Chairman since 2000. He is also CEO of Ardesta a company specializing in small technology products. Mr. Snyder is a graduate of the University of Michigan's Ross School of Business. (from wikipedia)

So maybe you have to be a big-wig to get a page?

Malcon10t
01-21-2008, 10:20 AM
but maybe a lost child?

Just curious if anyone happens to know!No, lost children don't even get a page. I have on a rare occasion heard a page, but it has been really rare.

Mermaid
01-21-2008, 10:26 AM
I heard a page when I was there last December. I also thought it was very weird. We saw a medical helicopter take off a short time later so we thought maybe the two things were linked.

doubleA
01-21-2008, 11:17 AM
I heard a page when I was there last December. I also thought it was very weird. We saw a medical helicopter take off a short time later so we thought maybe the two things were linked.

At about 3PM there was a helicopter circling overhead in Disneyland, I didn't see it when we were in California Adventure later in the day. It made several passes over the park, though I didn't see it low enough to think it had landed anywhere.

At the same time as I saw the helicopter circling, another page was made for the same person... no idea if the two were linked to each other though.

Bolivar
01-21-2008, 02:18 PM
Let's say you were Donald Trump and you only traveled by the most fabulous means so you landed at LAX and had a helicopter take you to DL, is there any place for it to land? Looking at the satalite photo on google it sure doesn't look like it. I don't know where a medical helicopter would land either --there are some fields to the south east. Maybe there...

I'm guessing that is the theory about the helicopter: That it was there to pick someone up and they were paging that person.

hannahkrik
01-21-2008, 02:30 PM
I have heard one once before while in Disney World. It was the day the man died on Expedition Everest and they were trying to get to his family.

Bytebear
01-21-2008, 02:37 PM
Hmmm, very interesting. Maybe it was this Richard Snyder:

(from wikipedia)

So maybe you have to be a big-wig to get a page?

Wow, Wikipedia is way out of date. I work for Gateway, and Rick Snyder hasn't been the interim CEO in at least a year. In fact, Gateway is now owned by Acer, so it doesn't even have a CEO anymore.

AVP
01-21-2008, 03:20 PM
I have been told (and take this with a grain of salt because who knows how accurate it is) that one of the situations that warrants a voice page is when a minor is either injured or taken to security, and the parent / guardian does not have a cell phone. I have personally heard a "will a chaperone for XYZ school please call the Disneyland operator" page.

AVP

Park Freak
01-21-2008, 04:15 PM
^^^Oh man, I'd hate to be that kid!!
I was thinking that it might sometimes be because of an emergency at home and they were trying to get in touch with family members who may be at The Park. Of course there are probably fewer of those (pages) now because of cell phones.

AVP
01-21-2008, 04:26 PM
I was thinking that it might sometimes be because of an emergency at home and they were trying to get in touch with family members who may be at The Park.Im aware of one situation where that happened to someone.

AVP

River Belle
01-21-2008, 08:59 PM
At about 3PM there was a helicopter circling overhead in Disneyland, I didn't see it when we were in California Adventure later in the day. It made several passes over the park, though I didn't see it low enough to think it had landed anywhere.

At the same time as I saw the helicopter circling, another page was made for the same person... no idea if the two were linked to each other though.

There was a helicopter tonight, too, as we were waiting for the train to depart from Toontown Station. They were holding, they said, because someone had gotten out of their Autopia car and DL had to make sure the tracks were all clear.

Which leads me to this question...did Disneyland used to be a no fly zone? I thought they had, but lately I notice quite a bit of air traffic.

Just curious...

Malcon10t
01-22-2008, 07:01 AM
Which leads me to this question...did Disneyland used to be a no fly zone? I thought they had, but lately I notice quite a bit of air traffic.

Just curious...No, Disneyland has NEVER been a "no fly" zone. There is a restricted area over Disneyland. For 3500' directly above Disneyland, you cannot enter without permission. (Its for noise abatement.) But, how hard is it to get permission? VERY easy, just ask ATC. (Been there, done that MANY times.) How high is 3500'? VERY low. Most little planes like to get up to 7-8000' quickly as at 3500' you are looking at incoming and outgoing aircraft.

Bolivar
01-22-2008, 08:35 AM
Actually it did become a "no fly" zone after 9/11. I don't know if that is still in effect or not.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TRAVEL/03/18/airspace.restrictions/

http://www.globalsecurity.org/org/news/2003/030511-disney01.htm

Malcon10t
01-22-2008, 08:50 AM
Actually it did become a "no fly" zone after 9/11. I don't know if that is still in effect or not.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TRAVEL/03/18/airspace.restrictions/

http://www.globalsecurity.org/org/news/2003/030511-disney01.htm
:::sigh::: Froggie, where are you when I need you! It was NEVER a "No Fly Zone". It is a RESTRICTED airspace, in that if you want to fly below 3500', you need ATC permission. Later when I have time, I will dig up the NOTAM.

The CNN article states "The new regulations in effect create a no-fly zone around Disney World in Orlando, Florida and Disneyland in Anaheim, California. Unless pilots are granted specific exemptions from air traffic controllers, no flights are allowed within a 3-mile radius around the parks or below 3,000 feet." They are using the term "No Fly Zone" improperly. And the wording should be "Unless pilots are granted specific exemptions from air traffic controllers, no flights are allowed within a 3-mile radius around the parks below 3,000 feet." In the 3 mile radius, you must stay above the 3000'. (1/2 mile.) Specific Exemptions? OK "Controller, 38-Bravo requests a change to 2-5", now if you are currently at 7-12000 feet, thats going to be a HECK of a change, and do you REALLY want to waste the fuel? (Lower flights burn a LOT more fuel.) Normal cruise for a 6-8 seater plane is 12-22000'. Smaller planes, 6-9000. Planes would have fun coming into Fullerton if there was a true "No Fly Zone." And they can say "Security" all they want. The reason for this? NOISE abatement. I have been in a plane where we requested lower over the park going into SNA. Wasn't an issue.

suzlywoozly
01-22-2008, 12:59 PM
I was there on Sunday too and heard the same thing! DH and I were sitting on a bench near the walkway to the wishing well when we heard the announcement. I mentioned to DH that I had never heard them page someone before. I wonder what was going on.

princessbelle35
01-22-2008, 03:03 PM

Mermaid, what day in December were you there? I remember seeing a helicopter fly over when I was there too..

Mermaid
01-22-2008, 07:36 PM
I was there the 5-9. I am not sure what day it was! Maybe Saturday?