PDA

View Full Version : Billy Hill Replacement?

CEO Andrew
08-18-2002, 03:13 PM
On my annual visit to the DLR this past weekend, I stopped in to see another dazzling performance of Billy Hill and the Hillbillies. Only . . . the lead "Billy" was not there! The other three band members were all the same, but now the lead was a totally different person using the same lines and even the same facial expressions. Don't get me wrong . . . he was FANTASTIC! I was just wondering . . . is the gentleman that traditionally fronts the band still around? I know he has another band, but maybe he was just on vacation or something. Do you know anything? Thanks!

Matterhorn Fan
08-18-2002, 03:30 PM
There are a number of substitute "Billys." The lead Billy is still around. He was probably just sick or working on another project or had the day off.

rexfarms
08-18-2002, 05:38 PM
I have never seen Billy Hill. Should I see it next time? I love the Golden Horseshoe though.

MammaSilva
08-18-2002, 07:04 PM
I LOVE Billy Hill, it's one of my favorite shows in the park!

Sailor Butterfly
08-18-2002, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by rexfarms
I have never seen Billy Hill. Should I see it next time?

Only if you like to laugh and appreciate great musicians.

CarlieB
08-18-2002, 07:22 PM
This show was one of the best things we did/saw on our last visit - I highly recommend it:-)

Morrigoon
08-18-2002, 07:40 PM
I love those guys! Each one brings so much to his own character... there's "Elvis" Billy (the lead), there's the kind of dopey "little bro" Billy who also plays the mandolin and I think the guitar as well (VERY talented these guys!), "older" Billy who's king of the silly facial expressions but hardly says anything, then there's "bass" Billy who plays bass and fiddle.

What a show... totally hilarious!

MammaSilva
08-18-2002, 07:44 PM
puddle prance has to be one of my favorite parts of the show!

rexfarms
08-18-2002, 08:33 PM
I suppose I will have to see it then.:)

roberts1398
08-19-2002, 08:45 AM
I've seen posts about these guys. Are they the Golden Horseshoe Review show (that doesn't sound right...???)?

Ghoulish Delight
08-19-2002, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by roberts1398
I've seen posts about these guys. Are they the Golden Horseshoe Review show (that doesn't sound right...???)? No. They run 2 separate shows in the GH. One is the review (which I have never seen) and the other is Billy Hill. Check the website, the maps, or the signs in front of the theater for schedules for both.

merlinjones
08-19-2002, 09:53 AM
They are good, but where are the Can-Can girls???

DJ_MENTOS
08-19-2002, 12:21 PM
My fav line from the show was "Yeah we just love those country bears. We see their show twice a week. But the sad thing is, they've never come over here to see our show."
:D

Sailor Butterfly
09-09-2002, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by mammasilva
puddle prance has to be one of my favorite parts of the show!

Oh yeah, Puddle Prance has to be the funniest thing I've ever seen. lol "I just went in a circle." "I'm back again."

What I like is that they don't always have the exact same parts in every show. So when you go, you never know what to expect. :D If all I could do at DL is see Billy Hill and ride BTM, I'd be a happy girl. For me, they are the highlight of a trip to DL.

One of my faves, "We want to thank the California Prison Work Release Program." lol

Tref
09-09-2002, 08:09 AM
Billy Hill is hands down the best live show I have ever seen at Disneyland. Those four guys should get their own movie -- they work as well to-gether as the Marx Brothers. Can we still get George S. Kaufman for the script? Write 'em up!

i remain,

CEO Andrew
09-09-2002, 02:47 PM
Sailor Butterfly,

As much as I wish it were the case, I have seen their show too many times. In the past three years, they've added very little (but don't get me wrong, it's still hilarious and a great show), so the jokes aren't as funny as they were three years ago.

I will say that I hope the four (or five) Billys get together and craft a new show, but I'm happy with what we have for now.

:D

Lost Boy
09-09-2002, 09:30 PM
Just for Info.

The "Billy" who plays the Mandolin (the one who does "The Billy Tell Overature" as the substitute doesn't) is so well known in musical cercuits. Would you believe he plays at Carnegie Hall? Well he does. I met with the lead billy outside the show and we had a very nice conversation about the show and the group. They are all very talented and very, very funny. No matter how many times I see the show, I laugh myself silly at their wonderful silliness. They are definately a main must see show at the Golden Horseshoe. :D

mystycalchyk
09-10-2002, 01:35 PM
i love billy hill....although it is the 'same old same old' its that kind of same old same old that keeps us coming back again and again...its a great time...and now they are like familiar old friends.
i would miss them terribly if they ever left

oh and yes i noitced the last time i saw them that the head billy was different...great still, but different

Bill Catherall
09-10-2002, 02:25 PM
The first time I saw Billy Hill and the Hill Billys was at the Thunder Ranch BBQ. When they first came on stage I thought "Oh no. Not some boring ho-down music!" But man did they change my mood, and fast! It was incredibly original, brilliantly funny, and highly enjoyable. I've never had such fun at a "ho-down." :D

We saw them once again at the BBQ and once more at the Golden Horseshoe. I hope they never leave Disneyland.

They're certainly top notch performers.

(By the way, I was often teased in my youth when my sisters would point at a small mountain and say to me, "Look! There's a hill, Billy." ;) )