PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Splash Mountain closes November 12th, and other rehab news

Darkbeer
08-17-2002, 07:48 PM
Here is a link to a very good detailed list of rehabs.....

http://www.mouseinfo.com/mousetalk/showthread.php?s=&postid=43288#post43288

So it looks like the entire Critter Country area will be closing November 12th, which is surprising to see Disney is closing the area down during the Holiday period....

teri
08-17-2002, 07:52 PM
Hmmmm... I guess we had better shoot for the weekend before then...

rexfarms
08-17-2002, 08:34 PM
What all are they going to be doing to Splash? Draining it prolly right?

justagrrl
08-18-2002, 08:07 AM
Ya know - my kid got a chance to go on it once. We'll have a 2 week slot (after blockout days are gone for the summer and before it closes) to hit it a bunch of times. One more week until we can go agan. Yippee!

How's the crowds been lately?

rexfarms
08-18-2002, 11:15 AM
Somewhat heavy.

malin
08-18-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by rexfarms
What all are they going to be doing to Splash? Draining it prolly right?

I heard that there were going to bring in new logs to replace the old ones.These logs will ride more guest and will make those Disney Lawers all happy chaps.Until there decide its a small world to dangerous to ride.What happens if the guest walk of.There will no doubt demand that all boats have safety belts.

rexfarms
08-18-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by malin

I heard that there were going to bring in new logs to replace the old ones.These logs will ride more guest and will make those Disney Lawers all happy chaps.Until there decide its a small world to dangerous to ride.What happens if the guest walk of.There will no doubt demand that all boats have safety belts.

Lat time I went on it they had back rests for every person on the log. Whats up with this? Does it have anything to do with the rehab?

kisroo
08-19-2002, 01:34 PM
Aren't they supposed to be replacing the logs with side-by-side seating like WDW, with individual lap bars for extra safety?
Thank goodness it will be open through October...my fiance was threatening to boycott our honeymoon if they closed it during our visit. Whew! My wedding/honeymoon has been saved! (it's his fav ride and he hates it when it is closed...) thanks for the updated info on closures Darkbeer!

roberts1398
08-19-2002, 01:40 PM
I too am grateful! I've NEVER been on it. Something has always prevented it. Nothing is keeping me off that ride this time! (Oh pleeze let nuthin keep me off that ride this time??? lol)

kisroo
08-19-2002, 01:43 PM
This ride makes my legs shaky, but I do love it. That is unless my loving fiance makes me ride it 7 times in a row...It's happened before!! I'm sure that's the first ride we'll be heading to!

Ghoulish Delight
08-19-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by rexfarms

Lat time I went on it they had back rests for every person on the log. Whats up with this? Does it have anything to do with the rehab? These backrest logs were a temporary, quickfix solution to appease the lawyers for a short time and get the ride open for the majority of the busy summer season. It is not the ideal solution because the new configuration greatly reduces the ride capacity (logs can now only hold 5 where before they held 8). Theoretically, this closure is to implement a permanent solution (hopefully one that does not involve overhead restraints :rolleyes: ). I don't know about side by side seating. By my uneducated observations, they would have to completely redesign the flume to handle this as such a log would be wider and heavier. That's a MAJOR rehab that I don't expect Disney to spring for.

One other thing I would expect them to address this time around is the safety air gates they installed last time around. The gates were installed shortly after the ride was closed, before any talk of changing the logs. As such, there are 3 gates, for the 3 seats (which, of course, could hold multiple people) that existed in the old logs. But then the logs changed to the 5 seater. So now there are three gates for 5 seats, a rather confusing arrangement. Hopefully they will redesign the logs THEN rethink the gates.