PDA

View Full Version : What's going to be done to the Matterhorn?

Not My Real Name
08-16-2002, 02:25 PM
Hi, all.

I looked at the re-furbishment schedule at www.disneyland.com and I noticed that the Matterhorn will be down from September 3 (the day after Labor Day) until after Halloween. What will they be doing that will take so long? Installing Fastpass? New electronics? Better brakes? Removing all the rust on the lower parts of the tracks that always get wet? Repairing all the Snowmen? A covered queue line around the whole mountain? (Sure coulda used that the other day!)

All the above? None? Some?

I'd also like to tell you of the best time I ever had on the 'horn. The ride broke down while I was on it, near the end of the ride. It was necessary for a couple of CMs to come get us all and walk us down and INSIDE the mountain. Yep, I saw the inside of the Matterhorn. Too bad I didn't have a camera. :crying: Lots of big electrical boxes and massive cables all over the walls and ceiling of an irregularly-shaped room. I felt lucky. Plus, they got the ride going again very quickly and gave all of us who had been stuck a "free" ride (meaning we didn't have to wait in line again).

Now, if only Space Mountain could go down while I'm on it so I can see the inside with all the lights on....

swcrazy
08-16-2002, 03:43 PM
First of all my guess is that they would be installing gates since this is one of the E-tickets that still doesn't have them.

Second, what day did you get stuck on it? I was there August 15th and I was in one of the cars as it broke down. My car was just one length away from being unloaded. Wish I could've been inside but I did get to see the cast member as they figured out the timing was getting to the point it was gonna crash. As the last 2 cars came in they gave up trying to speed up the loading/unloading process and just waited for it to break down.

How high up were you when you stopped?

RStar
08-16-2002, 04:34 PM
I was in the Matterhorn when it broke down some 5 years ago and I got to go down the old elevator. Wow was it dirty grimey!

I also was in Space Mountain, Splash Mountain and people mover when they broke down. I was 3/4 the way down SM so when the lights came on I was looking up at most of it.It was cool. Splash I was at the gate of the first small drop, the walked us down steps and into the inside. The sound was off, but I could see the animatronics still working through "windows" on the way down. And we were about 100 yards from the Skyway loading area when the people mover broke down and we had to walk along the track, went on the roof of the Skyway and down and behind it. The buckets were still there even though it had been closed a while. And it was dark and the lights built into the track were on so we didn't walk off the track (we were on the railing side). It was neat seeing all those things.

coronamouseman
08-16-2002, 04:47 PM
Isn't a two-month rehab after the summer season normal for the old Matterhorn?

I believe that ever since we have gotten our SoCal APs over the last few years that we would always try to make it to the park during that last week in August when the blockout dates stopped to go on the Matterhorn before the big rehab through October.........

MonorailMan
08-16-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by coronamouseman
Isn't a two-month rehab after the summer season normal for the old Matterhorn?

I believe that ever since we have gotten our SoCal APs over the last few years that we would always try to make it to the park during that last week in August when the blockout dates stopped to go on the Matterhorn before the big rehab through October.........

THanks for reminding me.... Ride the 'horn! :)

Also, yes, the 2 month rehab is normal! :)

RStar
08-16-2002, 05:42 PM
MM,
What would you know, you are on the Monorail;) !

:D

MonorailMan
08-16-2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by RStar
MM,
What would you know, you are on the Monorail;) !

:D

Not as much as I used to be. I peaked when I was about 10.

Now, while still enjoying the Monorail, I ride other things. :)

goofey
08-16-2002, 08:07 PM
There's a rumor circulating that the foundation of the Matterhorn is sinking. I have no idea if this is true, though.

awinner
08-16-2002, 10:56 PM
i think it is a well known fact (at least thats what i have been told) that they close it beacuse they need to re-inforce the inside structure...i have been told by many cm's that they would not even put their own family members on it...but rumors, rumors rumors!!!:rolleyes:

Morrigoon
08-16-2002, 11:48 PM
Yeah, I've heard that also, a lot of imagineers won't let their families ride it. But I didn't hear that directly from an imagineer, so take it with a grain of salt.

MonorailMan
08-17-2002, 02:26 AM
I've heard things about the Lagoon possible sinkhole:

David Koenig Says:
water level in the lagoon has to be maintained to prevent a large sinkhole from collapsing underneath Innoventions, which would take out Autopia and Rocket Rods as well. Attempts to seal this hole have all failed, mostly due to the porous soil, so Disney pumps something like 50,000 gallons of water per day into this mess to keep things 'stable.'

Not My Real Name
08-17-2002, 11:47 AM
Thanks, for the replies. The 'horn broke down on me back in June. Installing gates is probably what they have in mind. I was hoping for Fast Pass.

I hadn't heard about the sinkholes! :eek:

Disneyfreak
08-17-2002, 03:34 PM
NO FASTPASS PLEASEEEEEEEEEE FOR MATTERHORN. IT WOULD BE A NIGHTMARE. THE REGULAR LINE WOULD BE AT A SNAILS PACE!!!!!!!! DONT EVEN MENTION A FASTPASS FOR MATTERHORN.

rexfarms
08-17-2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Disneyfreak
NO FASTPASS PLEASEEEEEEEEEE FOR MATTERHORN. IT WOULD BE A NIGHTMARE. THE REGULAR LINE WOULD BE AT A SNAILS PACE!!!!!!!! DONT EVEN MENTION A FASTPASS FOR MATTERHORN.

Undoubtedly. I second this. Whats the longest you have ever seen the Matterhorn line? What is normally longer? Tomorrowland side or Fantasyland side? I normally do the Tomorrowland side, but then again I dont normally wait in lines(hehe AP).

Ace
08-17-2002, 04:42 PM
they're both the same now, since it's one line that splits into two at the chalet thing. The line's long, but it doesn't take long since there are 2 sides.

animegirllover
08-24-2002, 09:11 AM
I wanna ride the Matterhorn when they put the FastPass in it!