PDA

View Full Version : Can Costumed CMs Take Outfits Home?

HopeTrust N PixieDust
01-10-2008, 10:55 AM
I was just curious if the costumes were allowed to leave the park with the CMs at the end of the day. I'm guessing probably not, but I just woke up with a funny visual of Pluto sitting in a traffic jam "barking" at the cars or of Captain Hook showing someone "the hook" when he gets cut off on the busy L.A. freeways. :)

bradk
01-10-2008, 11:00 AM
pluto doesn't normally wear a costume.

but CMs are able to take their costumes home (i think they can keep up to 5 sets?) - that is to say cast members don't wear uniforms, they wear costumes.

but that's probably not what you're asking.

i think this is as close to reality that your wish is going to get to:

http://bradk.smugmug.com/photos/69937658-XL.jpg

Niwel
01-10-2008, 11:37 AM
Yes they are -- although that wasn't always the case. When I worked there in 1998, the first CMs who were "allowed" to take their costumes home were the Innoventions one.

I wish they'd go back to the old system -- I hear from costume CMs that they are missing $1,000s of dollars in pieces. And if you have X amount of pieces check out, they won't give you any more (as happened to a Disneyland transportation CM I spoke with who said she couldn't get a scarf because she had never checked back in one she had checked out -- two years earlier).

adriennek
01-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Characters can't take costumes home. There's at least three obvious reasons:

1- Character costumes are very expensive.

2- Too much potential for Disney copyright/trademark/licensing infringement when an off-duty cast member with no supervision misbehaves in character.

3- Too much potential for Disney copyright/trademark/licensing infringement considering how much they charge for hourly character appearances that they'd lose control over.

Adrienne

Niwel
01-10-2008, 12:13 PM
Sorry -- I was grouping all costumes together.

Ditto what Adrienne said. Yes for non-characters; no for characters.

bradk
01-10-2008, 12:39 PM
but again, pluto doesn't wear a costume.

but the guy in front of star tours does.

adriennek
01-10-2008, 01:06 PM
but again, pluto doesn't wear a costume.

But that's an issue of semantics and not what the OP was asking.

Adrienne

swcrazy
01-10-2008, 07:27 PM
We live about 3 miles from the park and routinely see non-character cast members in their costumes at the grocerry store, waiting for the bus, walking home, etc.

PanFan
01-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Non-characters can have up to 3 costumes checked out at one time, though we can only have one of certain items (e.g. scarf, jacket, coat, hat). If you have your limit, you are allowed to special issue a required costume piece (including a scarf if it's cold), but it must be returned by the end of your shift.

disneyhound
01-11-2008, 07:17 AM
Non-characters can have up to 3 costumes checked out at one time, though we can only have one of certain items (e.g. scarf, jacket, coat, hat). If you have your limit, you are allowed to special issue a required costume piece (including a scarf if it's cold), but it must be returned by the end of your shift.

That seems reasonable, if Disney didn't hold the line, some folks would abuse it, as happens in most situations.

HopeTrust N PixieDust
01-11-2008, 11:00 AM
Brad - cool pic! I guess that's as close as I'll get to seeing a character in "traffic" :)

Adrienne - that's what I thought about characters. I do see the potential problems with them acting up outside of the park and having the Disney name tarnished. I also see how they could make side money by making appearances (too bad as it would be cool to have them at your home for a personal appearance).

Everyone else - thanks for chiming in. I did notice how on colder days CMs have more gear on (I love the coats that Fantasyland CMs have) and wasn't sure how all that worked. So then I guess having up to 3 costumes "checked out" allows some to work on different rides/parts of the park?

motomickey
01-11-2008, 11:25 AM
this can include pants or skirt, belt, shirt, jacket, heavy coat for three seperate locations or three for the same location if you do not move around. you can also check out a scarf and gloves (the gloves are one size fits all, which in my case are huge!) since you get your schedule two weeks in advance, you are able to plan what costumes you will need and by wearing them home and wearing them to work you do not have to take time to change before or after work--that is a great time saver!

Leofoenget
01-13-2008, 07:05 PM
I was just curious if the costumes were allowed to leave the park with the CMs at the end of the day. I'm guessing probably not, but I just woke up with a funny visual of Pluto sitting in a traffic jam "barking" at the cars or of Captain Hook showing someone "the hook" when he gets cut off on the busy L.A. freeways. :)

I have heard that many times stuff ends up on ebay.

SCTrojan65
01-13-2008, 09:34 PM
I was a CM for almost ten years in attractions, and I can say that it certainly would have made things a little easier to be able to get into costume at home.
I am surprised though that they let CMs do this now. It seems like it really could spoil the show overall. For example, someone mentioned people acting up in character costumes. The same could be said for other park costumes as well. I would think it increases the chance of Disney being represented in a not-so-positive way.
Besides, I always thought of entering the park as being something special. You left the world outside.
If you're getting constant glimpses of the park out there in the real world, it takes something away from it.
My opinion.

TTFN92
01-14-2008, 07:24 AM
I am surprised though that they let CMs do this now. It seems like it really could spoil the show overall. For example, someone mentioned people acting up in character costumes. The same could be said for other park costumes as well. I would think it increases the chance of Disney being represented in a not-so-positive way.
Besides, I always thought of entering the park as being something special. You left the world outside.
If you're getting constant glimpses of the park out there in the real world, it takes something away from it.
My opinion.

I agree.

adriennek
01-14-2008, 07:40 AM
I live about 30-35 minutes from the park "without traffic" and I've seen CMs in the grocery store, in costume with their nametags on.

Of course, I wouldn't recognize them without their costumes. I've also run into a person at a local restaurant, out of costume, who I did recognize as a "long time somewhat well known to regulars" CM. :eek: LOL (No, it wasn't/isn't Maynard.)

Adrienne

motomickey
01-15-2008, 10:49 AM
:)