PDA

View Full Version : What's happening on February 5?

Pages : [1] 2 3

jlanut
01-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Does anyone know what's happening on feb 5??? Disneyland opens and closes an hour early .

Darkbeer
01-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Google has rented out the park for a party that evening.

jlanut
01-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the info

Drince88
01-10-2008, 06:27 AM
It's Mardi Gras. (But that's probably not why the hours are changed ;))

swcrazy
01-10-2008, 10:20 AM
It's Election Day in CA and many other states so go vote!

phillyorig
01-13-2008, 05:51 AM
It's Election Day in CA and many other states so go vote!

Its also here in AZ. I voted yesterday( early ballot)

We will be there Feb 7/8. VEA/SEA night!!

TTFN92
01-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Its also here in AZ. I voted yesterday( early ballot)

We will be there Feb 7/8. VEA/SEA night!!

I didn't get an early ballot :confused:. We even sent in post cards recently to confirm that we still wanted the early ballots. No one in my family has gotten them either.

BTW, what is VEA/SEA?

swcrazy
01-13-2008, 10:09 PM
Good for you phillyorig! I'm a permanent CA vote-by-mail voter so mine will be in the mail in a few days. No excuse to all you Disney visitors that are in the park Feb 5th (at least for those states that are having elections that day).

My friend in Texas (local government employee) gets an hour off work on election days to vote, does Disney do this for their employees?

Rteneyck
01-16-2008, 07:21 AM
Will this google thing affect the parks? That also explains why the disney hotels are sold out for the ap rate that day.

codewoman
01-16-2008, 01:25 PM
I believe California employment law allows employees to request as much as two hours off at the beginning or end of their shift to vote if they can't other wise make time during regular voting hours. I believe they are supposed to ask at least one week in advance. (this is from memory based on the law 10 or more years ago)

VickiC
01-16-2008, 02:26 PM
Will this google thing affect the parks? That also explains why the disney hotels are sold out for the ap rate that day.

Why? Is there some reason to believe a large number of Google employees are also AP holders?

Nancy
01-16-2008, 07:51 PM
Why? Is there some reason to believe a large number of Google employees are also AP holders?

If DL Hotel can get regular price from a Google emp than why would they give a discount to An APer. They only put X amount of rooms aside for APs. It's all about $$$$$.

mommy-san
01-16-2008, 08:21 PM

My understanding is all the Google employees are indeed staying at the onsite properties. On Google's tab.
My b-i-l is staying at the Grand Cal. They are treated to 2 days in the park and accomodations. 10,000 Google employees.

adriennek
01-16-2008, 10:12 PM
My understanding is all the Google employees are indeed staying at the onsite properties. On Google's tab.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

And, yes, that would explain why the don't have AP rooms available. They have fewer rooms available, period. They're under no obligation to have the same number of AP rooms available every night. The lesson I've learned is that the further out you book your room, anywhere, the better a deal you get. Hotels will adjust their prices and the availability based on supply and demand.

Their supply is low and their demand is high, no need to offer AP rates to fill those rooms.

Adrienne

Chasbo
01-17-2008, 07:25 AM
My b-i-l is staying at the Grand Cal. They are treated to 2 days in the park and accomodations. 10,000 Google employees.

Does anyone know which days they are going to be there? Is is 2/4 and 2/5 or 2/5 and 2/6? I am taking a day off that week to go to the park and would like to avoid the Google crowd of possible.

Burnt Toast
01-17-2008, 08:34 AM
Also, something that a lot of people forget is that the higher the occupancy of a hotel, the less discounted (any discount, including CM and AP rates) rooms are available and the average rate of a hotel room goes UP.

kingqueen 3princesses
01-17-2008, 08:59 PM
I would also love to know the exact dates of the google crowd and how they will impact the park. Does anybody know?

mommy-san
01-18-2008, 06:05 AM
I know that for sure they are ALL there on the Tuesday. The original dates have changed since the first time we heard of the trip so I'm not positive about the other day. (it started out as a Wednesday trip)
My brother-in-law is coming on Sunday night (and taking Monday off) to surprise my daughters so I don't think that Monday was a day that Google was scheduled to be there. I know he had to make special arrangements to be with us on Monday instead of at work in Northern California.
Keep in mind though that they will probably have some things they do as groups. You could do what we're planning if its too crowded.... California Adventure!

jamielj
01-18-2008, 06:21 AM
We have been planning our family trip for months around everyone's schedule and going when the crowds are smaller! I know you can never be guaranteed smaller crowds, but now the thought of all these Google employees is freaking us out!!! We are pulling the kids out of school for a week to go.

So do they only have passes to Disneyland and not California Adventure, or is it a park hopper?

Part of me wants to postpone our trip now. We were originally going the week before, but my 16 year old was freaking out about taking all of her finals early, so we chose the first week of the new semester.

UGH!

kingqueen 3princesses
01-18-2008, 08:25 AM
jamielj--I feel your pain. I picked this week to avoid lots of people. The problem is, I don't know which week would be better. I thought about the first week in March, but I'm afraid it might be more crowded with the drill, dance, cheer crowd.

I would never want to be there on a day the park is too capacity, but it can accommodate (not pleasantly) like 80,000 people I think, and California Adventure is another 32,000. These numbers may not be accurate, but it's all I could find when trying to figure out what 10,000 google people will feel like at the park. I'm sure it'll be more crowded than if they weren't there, but is it worth postponing the trip for? I'd love to know what you think because I'm wondering the same thing...

jamielj
01-18-2008, 08:39 AM
I also looked into postponing my trip a month to the first week in March. There is a huge cheerleading convention the 7,8,9 at the Anaheim Convention Center. By the second week of March I think some Spring Vacations start.

I am so torn about what to do. Part of me wants to postpone until next fall, but then there's no guarantee that the crowds will be any less. We have spoiled my kids by never having a line for a ride at Disneyland except for on a Saturday. No crowds are the reason that we pull them out of school for a week instead of going during scheduled school vacation.

So are the Google employees having some sort of meetings, or are their two days at Disney just for play? So they have parkhopper passes to be at California Adventure, also, or just Disneyland?

Rteneyck
01-18-2008, 08:51 AM
wow..that is a lot of people. I wonder what type of tickets they will have. I was hoping to beat the crowds, but my airline tickets are confirmed and paid for so we are going no matter what. We'll make the best of it. Fastpasses here we come.

Wedge
01-18-2008, 11:01 AM
Ok guys I'm in the same boat as some of you who have been planning our vacation that week for a long time since we went down in October and the crowds were really more than we expected and wanted a nice quite trip. I did some calling around and here is the information that I got:

(Called Google of Santa Monica for information)
The Google days at Disneyland will be Tues - Thursday (4-6th)
Crowds are hard to guess becaue it is whoever 'comes', but that does not mean that everyone will or even that everyone from outside of the LA area is comming too. There are only 2 local Google campuses in LA (their main ones however) 2 around the San Fransico area. (others are on the east coast and around the world)

<speculation>
Even though Google is a very profitable company I doubt that they will fly in all of their employees for this event. Probably more of a 'We'll pay for tickets (maybe a room for out of towners) but you have to get here'.
</speculation>

So now about crowd levels. I called Disney and asked how many people they expect to come and she couldn't tell me because she didn't know they were going to be there, only that the park hours were different for Tuesday (their kick off night probably). She finally gave me a rough estimate of normal park visitation for this time at 15,000 or so for DL and 7,000 for CA. So the question is how many Google employees will be joining us? Well from doing a 'google search' (pun intended) I found this tidbit (a year old but could give you an idea):

"How many employees does Google have?

As of December 31, 2006, we had 10,674 employees located around the world."

Now remember most of those are in So Cal but they are spread world wide. So I think that with how many people they hired in 1 year and how many from around the world that won't show up I would guess that you won't see more than 8000-9000 (MAX) in the parks and not all of them will stay for all the days probably. Worst case scenario from my guess is that you see an increase in park attendance (both parks using the 2/3 at DL and 1/3 at CA ratio that seems to work Resort wide) the crowd will only increase about 1/3 - 1/4. Not too bad.

The parks average attendance from 2005 (year round not just this season) was estimated around 39,725 (again sorry I couldn't find a more current number) so the crowds prbably won't be that bad with Google there as well.

I could have some of my numbers wrong so please forgive me, I found what I could using the net and calling Google and Disney :).

kingqueen 3princesses
01-18-2008, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the information Wedge. It makes me feel a little better because we decided to stick with that week anyway.

jamielj
01-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Thank you for the research, Wedge! I also appreciate it.

We are also sticking to our original plan. If the King and Queen have three princesses, and we do also, I hope that there will be 6 happy princesses at Disneyland in 3 weeks.

I have spent the day very frustrated and going over alternative plans in my head. However, I am now going to go back to being excited about our trip and make the best of it.

I believe that Disneyland truly is the happiest place on Earth and we will just study up a little more on what to do when there are crowds.