PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Insult to Disneyland?

Pages : [1] 2

Lost Boy
08-15-2002, 07:58 PM
Well, now the powers that be have really gone and made me mad. It was bad enough that WDW stole Walt's office from Disneyland and won't pay to ship it back. It was bad enough that for Walt's 100th, WDW got all the Parades and hoopla, while poor old Disneyland got a small tribute put together at the last minute and a bunch of old, worn out photos placed in windows along Main Street. Now this!!!

They want to make Disneyland's 50th Anniversary a Disney Park- Wide celebration. For a whole year. WDW, Tokyo and Paris all get in on Disneyland's 50th. And, knowing the way Eisner thinks of WDW as "His Personal Empire" I have a sinking feeling that most of the money will go to sprucing up WDW's Magic Kingdom with all sorts of new things, and parades and parties. And what will Disneyland get? Probably not much. Just a fresh coat of paint in Toontown (already underway), some re-themine of existing attractions - maybe, and....?????:mad:

rexfarms
08-15-2002, 08:01 PM
sigh.........

merlinjones
08-15-2002, 08:02 PM
You would think they'd want to boost the gate at Disneyland (and DCA), specifically, by doing something extra cool there.

I'm sick of WDW.

AVP
08-15-2002, 08:16 PM
Celebrating Disneyland's 50th Anniversary by having an event at WDW is like your parents giving your sister all of your birthday presents just because she's cuter and more popular.

Gemini Cricket
08-15-2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by AVP
Celebrating Disneyland's 50th Anniversary by having an event at WDW is like your parents giving your sister all of your birthday presents just because she's cuter and more popular.
lol!:D

re: LostBoy's news:
I remain hopeful. I know it's annoying to hear news like this, but I want to be very optimistic about the 50th anniversary plans. They can't have a watered down version of a Disneyland's 50th Anniversary Celebration at Disneyland and a cooler version at WDW.
(Then again, it does sound similar to making a Bears movie at the same time the ride it's based on is removed...)
I trust LostBoy's sources as much as MP's sources, however, I'd like to hear more from other CMs, Imagineers etc before I get myself worked up...
:)

MammaSilva
08-15-2002, 08:31 PM
why is this miserable news so easy to believe :(

Ace
08-15-2002, 08:34 PM
well, we're supposedly getting those rehabs for the 50th, and if those actually happen then they've got to promote them... which would be like the 50th birthday party. I mean, they have to do something that won't be at WDW.... we'll see in 3 years.

PXSgeek
08-15-2002, 08:50 PM
if only uncle walt were still around....:crying:
hw would be like the indian in the commercial crying over all the garbage

disguy
08-15-2002, 09:21 PM
This is no suprise this has been known for some time that Disney exec's had decided to celebrate Disneylands birthday World wide, with every park they have. It also has been said to expect something big and wonderful for Disneyland..attraction refurbs are not big and wonderful so it could be other things. Let's just wait and see and then if it's not what we wanted well...remember that scene in Beauty and Beast when the towns people went with there torches to the beasts castle...

Nigel2
08-15-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by PXSgeek
if only uncle walt were still around....:crying:
hw would be like the indian in the commercial crying over all the garbage

Oh... Iron Eyes Cody. (falsely accused of being Italian) yeah well at least they keep the litter to a minimum.:)

But the thing that makes me wonder is how much of a draw could a big rehab of some rides get? (unless it's as big as people speculate)

Morrigoon
08-15-2002, 09:39 PM
Maybe they'll publicly announce Eisner's firing (hey, I can dream can't I?)

DisneylandKid
08-15-2002, 09:46 PM
I'm sick of WDW getting all of the attention! They're always taking everything away from us! No fair!

;)

innerSpaceman
08-15-2002, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
Maybe they'll publicly announce Eisner's firing (hey, I can dream can't I?)
If things keep going on their present course, it looks like Mike will be out of a job long before 2005.

Marty
08-15-2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by disguy
..attraction refurbs are not big and wonderful so it could be other things...

It could be, if the refurbishment goes beyond regular maintenance. Disney could re-do the Tiki room, add another tour to Star Tours, or deliver immersive queuing to classics like Space Mtn, Matterhorn or some Fantasyland dark rides. Better yet they could go ahead and refurbish and entire land - maybe even Tomorrowland.

Sure, not as exciting as a brand new Indy level attraction, but at least the money spent would leave a legacy. What I would be worried about is that Disney decides to go the other route and simply provide a year's worth of extras: more fireworks, a concert series like they're presently having at DCA, maybe a new parade, a bunch of "special" pins marking the milestone. All nice to be sure, but certainly the "laziest" way to mark such an event.

The money will be there, I'm just curious who will get to spend it.

tink360
08-15-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman

If things keep going on their present course, it looks like Mike will be out of a job long before 2005. \

It can't come a minute too soon. I'm so sick of this penny pinching, penny wise / pound foolish stupidity. Enough of running Disneyland into the ground just to make a little more money. Too bad Walt isn't around, heads would roll.

Nigel2
08-15-2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Marty

The money will be there, I'm just curious who will get to spend it.

Better question is how much are they willing to drop on the table for this? They might just view this as something like the Walt's 100th where it will have a few things built and, some parades but out side of that nothing new in the perminant attractions department.

Morrigoon
08-15-2002, 11:11 PM
If they resort to only using entertainment, let it at least be something good. I think I once mentioned on the boards my idea for adding lots of bands to areas of the park. Groups representing each decade of DL. So an 80's band in TL (sorry, the future seemed so much cooler in the 80's), a 50's band in Carnation Plaza, etc etc.

How about decade-themed merch? Pluto "poodle" skirts, things like that. Heck, even a 50's themed event would be cool. 50 years celebration, and a throwback to 1955 all in one.

How about establishing a "Disneyland museum" in DTD? Remember the "Architecture of Reassurance" exhibit at the Armand Hammer museum? Imagine permanently establishing something like that. No, I don't count the Disney Gallery, it's too general as well as too small. I mean having those models, and original designs, concepts never used, the Herb Ryman map (or a similar-sized copy). Photos from the old days, etc etc etc. And putting it in DTD means they could charge admission for it... maybe $10 for adults and $7 for kids, or making it a $20 add-on to an AP. Imagine the merch they could sell, especially if it was stuff you could ONLY buy there at the museum!

...And I'm still pretty cheesed off that we're not getting Walt's office back... the thieves.

GeminiAngel
08-16-2002, 05:26 AM
Let's see.... didn't get any real cool celebrations for Walt's 100th, Park is falling apart, Plus all the other slaps in the face DL has taken. DL is the birth child of this whole empire. Talk about no respect!!! And now this 50 Ann. thing. I wonder what the price of admission will be by then??? With such little in return for us. Sounds like we might need some sort of protest in the near future.

coronamouseman
08-16-2002, 08:08 AM
Why waste important PR money on just one park when you can spread the effect thinly and incomptently over all parks worldwide?

Also, with WDW going down the tubes due to the current bankruptcy of most major US airlines, do you think that any real money will be spent on DLR which at least can pull its own attendance-wise from the surrounding LA area as long as the discounts keep coming?

Cooie
08-16-2002, 08:30 AM
I can kind of understand why they're pulling the other parks into it... after all, it was Disneyland that started it all. But that's the problem: because it was Disneyland that started it all, it should get the most attention, and like others, I fear that it will be lavished on WDW instead because it relies more heavily on tourism.

Certainly, all the parks should aknowledge the legacy, but I'd say a good 75% of the budget should be alotted to the original park for upkeep, entertainment, refurbs, what have you.

merlinjones
08-16-2002, 08:34 AM
Here's a scary thought (just conjecture):

What if they renamed WDW's Magic Kingdom - - Disneyland Orlando - - for the occaision (it would then tie into their global Disneyland brand)?

Would the original then become Disneyland Anaheim?

JeffG
08-16-2002, 09:34 AM
Celebrating the 50th anniversary at Disneyland at all the parks actually seems very reasonable to me. Obviously, Disneyland should serve as the focal point for the celebration, but Disneyland's anniversary is also the anniversary of the company's entry into the theme park business. It isn't unreasonable to say that it is the anniversary of all the parks.

-Jeff

merlinjones
08-16-2002, 09:49 AM
>>Celebrating the 50th anniversary at Disneyland at all the parks actually seems very reasonable to me.
Obviously, Disneyland should serve as the focal point for the celebration, but Disneyland's anniversary is also the anniversary of the company's entry into the theme park business. It isn't unreasonable to say that it is the anniversary of all the parks.<<

No one wants to celebrate corporate culture.

Just as Walt Disney's 100th birthday was used to celebrate the Walt Disney brand, not the man and his work... it seems a pity that Disneyland's 50th birthday be used to celebrate the Disneyland brand, not the historic site itself.

Enough with the marketing. Let see the meat!

yeo_foxe
08-16-2002, 09:53 AM
Wow! Send out the four riders!

I completely agree with you mj!!!!

EandCDad
08-16-2002, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by JeffG
Celebrating the 50th anniversary at Disneyland at all the parks actually seems very reasonable to me. Obviously, Disneyland should serve as the focal point for the celebration, but Disneyland's anniversary is also the anniversary of the company's entry into the theme park business. It isn't unreasonable to say that it is the anniversary of all the parks.

-Jeff

You bring up a good point; however, I think some people might be concerned that the funds available for the 50th might be, to some degree, a limited pool. Therefore, if it is spread out among all the parks, it will reduce the amount available to some really special things at Disneyland itself. I'm not as concerned as some, but I can see that concern as a valid one.