PDA

View Full Version : Last-minute Tea Cups Closure?

kimbeejohnson
01-08-2008, 12:07 PM
We are going to DLR this weekend and I've known that Haunted Mansion (HM) and Monster's Inc. would be closed.

Today when I went to print out the calendar schedule for Disneyland and DCA it's showing Mad Tea Party closed for refurbishment also!!! I think this is the Tea Cups ride, correct?

I KNOW that both the Disneyland website and Mouseplanet have been showing that HM was the only ride in DL down during this time. In fact, I printed the schedule yesterday at work (which I forgot, hence printing it again) and it didn't show the Mad Tea Party down at that time. Just yesterday!

Does anyone know why this ride has been closed at the last minute? Is there any hope it could be up anytime sooner than the calendar shows (Jan 18th)?

River Belle
01-08-2008, 01:03 PM
I noticed that it was closed yesterday, even though it wasn't listed on the web site. It didn't run all day.

DangerMouse
01-08-2008, 02:28 PM
I wonder if all the rain affected it.

Disneymademoiselle
01-08-2008, 04:29 PM
It was closed again today, and all of the teacups were missing. Fantasyland just isn't the same without them.

shna
01-08-2008, 04:53 PM
It was closed again today, and all of the teacups were missing. Fantasyland just isn't the same without them.

Well there's the problem right there -- someone stole the teacups! :eek: I'm sure the ride wouldn't be nearly as fun without teacups. ;)

HobbitFeet
01-08-2008, 06:31 PM
I'm sure the ride wouldn't be nearly as fun without teacups. ;)

Actually the picture of the "floor" I saw on another site looks like it would be fun to just lie on and be spun around without the extra cup spin. :)

MoKat72
01-08-2008, 06:40 PM
I agree.
It would be nice just to lie there and spin and look at the lanterns.

Another Dimension
01-08-2008, 10:30 PM

Especially at night! :D

shna
01-08-2008, 11:16 PM
I agree.

... especially if under the influence of whatever Lewis Carroll (sp??) was taking when he originally wrote the book!

kimbeejohnson
01-09-2008, 07:42 AM
Wow! This sounds like a major refurbishment! Why wouldn't they have scheduled it in advance?

I guess I'll just have to do without the teacups this weekend - major bummer! I'm pregnant so this is just one more ride I CAN'T ride while there! :crying:

SoCalDisneyLover
01-09-2008, 12:45 PM
I guess I'll just have to do without the teacups this weekend - major bummer! I'm pregnant so this is just one more ride I CAN'T ride while there! :crying:

Teacups doesn't seem like the kind of ride you want to go on while pregnant anyways. Wouldn't it be bad to spin and be whipped about like that?

Bolivar
01-09-2008, 01:54 PM
You want to know what happened to the teacups? Well take a look at this and I think you might have some idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cdd3O3jCqw

etixnostalgia
01-09-2008, 07:00 PM
I think it may be a major mechanical issue. We were there for early entry on 1/5 and saw the teacups in motion with no riders around 7:30, and by 8:00 they were shut off with three or four cast members standing at the entrance to the queue sending people away. Didn't think anything of it until I saw this thread.

motomickey
01-09-2008, 09:44 PM
during our checkin tonite, we were told that Haunted Mansion and Tea Cups were down. When I asked about what was wrong with the tea cups, my lead said she had no information about the reason.....

DLandLifer
01-09-2008, 10:30 PM
I know! I was so surprised to find them closed down today. It does look like a major renovation.

HobbitFeet
01-10-2008, 01:28 AM
Teacups doesn't seem like the kind of ride you want to go on while pregnant anyways. Wouldn't it be bad to spin and be whipped about like that?

I wasn't pg, but I've found it to be quite mild if you don't turn the wheel at all. Just like a very winding road in a convertible. :)

PanFan
01-11-2008, 07:14 PM
I just returned from 4 days off and saw all of the teacups backstage outside the vehicle maintenance shop. I forgot to look at the attraction or ask anyone about it, but I did think it was odd to see all of them back there. Usually there's only one or two. I didn't know anything about the unscheduled rehab, and I sometimes (though admittedly not very often) work the attraction. If they change anything about it, though, I would be updated, but not until closer to reopening (whenever that is).

foolishmortal
01-11-2008, 09:23 PM
thanks for the update pan fan!!!
Maybe they are going to let them spin as fast as they used too?!
one can only hope!
kat

PanFan
01-13-2008, 06:53 AM
I asked one of my leads yesterday and she said they're getting repainted. Sorry it's nothing more exciting :)

kimbeejohnson
01-13-2008, 02:57 PM
We just got back, and though I missed the teacups, had a great time anyways!

If it's down just to re-paint the teacups, I wish they had put this on their closure calendar. We probably would have gone this weekend anyways, but I would have been prepared for it. It seems that they schedule all the other "routine maintenance" closures months in advance, so why not this too?

Thanks for all the responses!

Infinitely
01-13-2008, 03:21 PM
Sometimes....you have to wash dishes.

Imagine the size of that dishwasher they need for THOSE teacups!

HA HA HA HA HA

PanFan
01-13-2008, 08:12 PM
My lead said she had heard many different dates as to when they would be going down before they actually did. I would think they could pin it down a little better than that, but I guess they do what they can. The cups are still backstage as of today.