PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland turnstile Cast Member observation

Pages : [1] 2 3

cstephens
01-07-2008, 09:00 PM
I sent in a comment through the DLR website, and I got a response today. I'm posting my comment and their response in case anyone's interested.

My note to them:

Since I've run into the same situation on several different visits, I
thought I'd take the opportunity to let you know about it.

I'm an annual passholder, and I enjoy being able to visit the resort on
a regular basis. When I went through the Disneyland turnstiles today, I
held my pass out to the CM. She used the scanner to scan the bar code
on my pass as I held the pass, and she never touched the pass, said a
word to me or even looked at me, never once acknowledging my existence
in any fashion whatsoever. It wasn't a particularly busy time, but I
know that sometimes it can be, and I don't expect them to start a
conversation or anything, and most of the CMs will just say "hello" or
"welcome", but it's just very disconcerting when you're being treated
like you don't exist. I like self-service mechanisms, so I'd have no
problem just being able to scan my pass myself but being completely
ignored just doesn't sit well with me. Even when we're getting a
Fastpass at an attraction, the CMs there greet us, even when they don't
need to help us with anything since we're getting our own Fastpass.

I didn't note the name of the turnstile CM, but I didn't think it really
mattered because as I said, I've encountered this on a number of
occasions. I know it sounds like a petty complaint, but it's happened
enough times and it's bothered me enough that I thought I'd at least
mention it.

Thank you for your time in reading my note.

Sincerely,

Their response:

1/07/2008

Dear Cindy:

Thank you for your e-mail to the DISNEYLANDŽ Resort. We appreciate you
taking the time to share your experience with us.

We are sorry for the disappointments you mentioned in your e-mail
regarding your entrance into the parks. It is our goal to create magical
memories and exceed the expectations of our Guests during each and every
visit. Please be assured that we have shared your comments with our
leadership team, along with the appropriate management, as feedback such
as yours is taken very seriously.

The behavior you described at our Main Gate is certainly not acceptable,
nor is it indicative of our usual high standards. The DISNEYLANDŽ Resort
has always considered Guest courtesy to be one of the most important
elements of our operation. Hospitality is continually stressed to newly
hired Cast Members, as well as those who have been a part of the Disney
team for years. Our goal is not only to meet but exceed our Guests'
expectations, and we are concerned when we fall short of this goal.
Please accept our sincere apologies for the treatment you received and
be assured that the appropriate management has been notified of your
experiences.

In the future, if you encounter any inconveniences or disappointments,
please feel free to inform a Cast Member that you would like to speak
with a manager. You are also invited to visit City Hall in DISNEYLANDŽ
Park or the Guest Relations Lobby in DISNEY'S CALIFORNIA ADVENTUREŽ Park
to register your comments. We are confident, when given the opportunity,
our Cast Members can resolve your concerns with the utmost
professionalism and courtesy. It is our goal in any situation to provide
outstanding service to your family and exceed your expectations.

Again, thank you for contacting us. Comments such as yours are welcomed
in that they assist us in evaluating our operation and our success in
generating happiness for our Guests. We hope you will have the
opportunity to visit the DISNEYLANDŽ Resort soon and that our
attractions and entertainment will delight you in every way.

Sincerely,

[name omitted]
DISNEYLANDŽ Resort
Guest Communications

It's pretty much the answer I expected. I don't know whether or not they actually are going to do anything or say anything to anyone, but it's bothered me for long enough that I just needed to send in the note.

However, I'd never report a CM just for ignoring me at the turnstiles.

Burnt Toast
01-07-2008, 10:44 PM
I'm sure a general memo will go out to the Main Entrance managers, but what did you expect? You've waited until you got home to write an e-mail... best way to get results, especially for something of this seriousness, is to ask to speak to a manager on the spot instead of letting it fester inside of you for so long. Then that Cast Member can be spoken to instead of you letting it slide until you got home and almost nothing could be done or said to that person.

The Main Entrance Cast Member is usually the first point of contact for Guests... if someone isn't acting up to common decency (it doesn't take much effort to greet the Guest) then they need to be spoken to.

If it's because you worry about making a scene, don't make a scene. Ask to speak to a manager and just let them know that you just came in and you felt like you were being ignored when you came in. Don't harp about policy or make a scene, just let them know that you have a concern.

Easy.

cstephens
01-08-2008, 02:17 AM
I'm sure a general memo will go out to the Main Entrance managers, but what did you expect?

If it's because you worry about making a scene, don't make a scene. Ask to speak to a manager and just let them know that you just came in and you felt like you were being ignored when you came in.

Ummm, so you missed the part where I said I got the answer I expected and that I'd never report a CM just because of this?

When it happened the first time, it annoyed me a bit. When it happened the second time, it annoyed me more. If they remained isolated incidents, I would have never said a word. It was because it continued to happen that I finally said something, but since I do understand what it means to report a specific CM (I have done it in the past when egregious things have happened), I don't believe the behaviour I described warrants getting written up. A general reminder would be good.

houseofmouse
01-08-2008, 06:43 AM
I say good for you for reporting a continuing problem. I too have been ignored as well as my kiddos when entering both parks. I have never complained but wanted to several times. It is always good to bring issues to the attention of corporate and what they do with it we will never know but the it is nice to get a reply. I think Disneyland employees should try to greet everyone with a hello, good morning or something when entering the park. :)

adriennek
01-08-2008, 07:04 AM
The reason to report the problem at the time is to get immediate results for ME. If the OP reported it immediately, the manager would've apologized and possibly talked to the CMs involved at the time and that most likely would've been the end of the story.

Personally I think that for a continuing problem, a written comment is better. If this comment is passed along, in writing, to the managers, they have something they can see to remind them, a history of this happening, and an opportunity to correct the problem not just now, not just with one CM, but with the staff and into the future.

Adrienne

Drince88
01-08-2008, 07:24 AM
Has anyone heard anything about Disneyland getting biometric readers, so that they can have one cast member serve two turnstyle locations? In that manner, it does become almost like a self-serve situation.

(The biometrics eliminate the need for the CM to compare the picture on the AP to the face of the person in front of them, which I would think would be a limiting factor in making the turnstyles self-serve now.)

If they're shying away from doing that to keep the 'small and intimate' feel with heavy CM/Guest interaction, then, obviously, they need to work on the interaction.

ralfrick
01-08-2008, 07:33 AM
It's very easy to bend me out of shape, but when I go to DL, my objective at the gate is to just get through as soon as possible. As long as someone isn't being outwardly rude, don't see myself caring too much. It seems to work fine that the gates are pretty much self serve at DLP though; as of yet it hasn't caused the Earth to spin out of orbit and crash into the sun or anything like that.

Cheers.

Leofoenget
01-08-2008, 08:04 AM
she never touched the pass, said a
word to me or even looked at me, never once acknowledging my existence
in any fashion whatsoever.

So she never made eye contact or even verified that the photo on the AP was you?
At the very least she should eyeball that it was YOUR AP, and not someone elses.

Crazy4DL
01-08-2008, 09:57 AM
I was going to say, we usually go through in a group and many times one of us will just hand the CM all our passes and the kids'. I don't recall anyone every looking at my AP and then looking at me to make sure it was really me.

I don't remember never being spoken too or at least smiled at but then I am all about getting on through the gate and not losing kids and/or passes/hoppers at that point so maybe I am oblivious.

Malcon10t
01-08-2008, 10:04 AM
I must be getting the best turnstile CMs. During Christmas, I can't think of one that didn't smile and say something (from Merry Christmas to Welcome back!) I think if they had ignored me everytime, I would have said something also.

tchatters
01-08-2008, 10:10 AM
If I were a CM, I'd avoid touching the APs too. Can you imagine how sick they would get with all those germs? I'm a former teacher and I had to make a set of MY PENS that the students were not allowed to touch because I was getting sick all the time.

I think for an ongoing problem, a comment is perfectly appropriate. This sounds like not one CM having a bad day but a deficit in training that needed a gentle reminder.

cstephens
01-08-2008, 10:16 AM
If I were a CM, I'd avoid touching the APs too. Can you imagine how sick they would get with all those germs?

Well, that is something you have to deal with when you work with the public. You have that same problem if you're taking credit cards or money, and other CMs generally take your AP to look at it if you're getting a discount.

Part of what I find weird about the hand scanners is that they built those nifty "slide your card through" readers, and that's why they made the slimmer APs. I've had my AP scanned a few times that way, so I was surprised when they installed the hand scanners.

disneyperson
01-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Really? That bugs you enough to write a letter about it? I'm sure they especially apppreciated the lead off of "I'm an annual passholder." (I'm sure that made them sit right up and take notice :rolleyes:)I agree with you that it sounds like a petty complaint. Next time you feel ignored, try initiating eye contact yourself and saying hello.

TTFN92
01-08-2008, 11:54 AM
I actually thought of this post as I went to Wal-Mart this afternoon. I was walking in and the door greeter was at the back of the carts straightening them and called out to me, "Welcome to Wal-Mart". Then as I was leaving and trying to find my keys and oblivious to him, he told me to have a nice day. So if Wal-Mart expects it, then I'm sure DL does too, even more so.

I can completely understand why you wouldn't want to say something if it happened one time, and you don't want the CM to get written up for it. But if it is an ongoing problem with different CMs then it does need to be something that is brought up in a meeting, maybe more than once, just as a reminder. I think you handled it appropriately. Hopefully they will make it a topic at their next meeting and it will remind them to always say Thank you and Welcome to DL.

cstephens
01-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Really? That bugs you enough to write a letter about it? I'm sure they especially apppreciated the lead off of "I'm an annual passholder." (I'm sure that made them sit right up and take notice :rolleyes:)

In this case, it was relevant to state that I was an AP, since I mentioned that it happened on a number of occasions. Also, someone with a day pass might not know that the behaviour is not acceptable but they might still notice that something isn't right. If I say something about it, maybe it'll make a difference to someone else. Or maybe some CMs are only ignoring APs.

Oh, and btw, it's impossible to have eye contact if the other person never actually looks at you, even if you're staring at them the entire time.

As far as being ignored, yeah, I'm needy like that. I need every single person who crosses my path to acknowledge my presence.

Andrew
01-08-2008, 12:08 PM
As far as being ignored, yeah, I'm needy like that. I need every single person who crosses my path to acknowledge my presence.

Hi Cindy!

SeansMom
01-08-2008, 12:48 PM

Well let me jump in and say "Hi" in acknowledgment ;). I'm glad you wrote. Sounds like a problem that needs to be fixed. I DO think letters make a change, sometimes more so than a verbal complaint.

As an aside, our not so great experience last time was not with the CM's at the gate, but rather at the security area. Me, being shy and retiring (NOT) started greeting them in a very loud and cheery voice before they could even say, "open your bag, please" and we also came up with a saying that made them smile; we had our 5 yo great-niece with us, and frankly I'd rather NOT have her worrying about guns (etc.) in DL, so we told her they were looking for chocolate. She, being shy and retiring like her Aunt (again, NOT) would then announce loudly, "I know what you're looking for!" which always got a "what?" or a "you do?" to which she'd reply, with a big smile, "Chocolate!"

olegc
01-08-2008, 01:17 PM
i actually liked Cindy's comment on a self service entrance. Can you imagine? just like those pay-yourself lines at the supermarket, you can scan yourself in, a large black-light can be above to catch the handstamps coming in, and one person can man a single kiosk for Q&A and assistance. the only thing that would hinder this is monitoring the passing back of the pass - but I guess if it's locked out after one use for entry that would work. I think this is a novel idea.

Although, it totally goes against the Disneyland experience guidelines of ensuring the guest is always catered to and provided with better than expected service.

and to those who made sarcastic comments about having to have people there to "acknowledge" you - do you actually think the park would be a great experience if there were no cast members whatsoever? I like to get served and get help - and if I don't need it I just say Hi and keep going. If you want lack of service - go to one of the posh new eateries on katella and wait for your water to get filled...

Pastafarian
01-08-2008, 03:09 PM
I don't understand some of the responses here. Personally, I probably wouldn't notice if someone modeled that behavior mentioned, but if it makes an experience less than magical for another guest, then Disney needs to be made aware of it.

Her letter was not rude. She did not ask for free passes for life for her and her descendents. She made them aware of a customer service issue that needed to be addressed and that was it.

It is letters like HERS that make it possible for the rest of us to always have magical experiences. If the "little petty things" were not addressed while they are still petty to others, I am sure we would hear about it from those that it finally did effect when it became a larger customer service issue.

shna
01-08-2008, 05:01 PM
I don't understand some of the responses here. Personally, I probably wouldn't notice if someone modeled that behavior mentioned, but if it makes an experience less than magical for another guest, then Disney needs to be made aware of it.

Her letter was not rude. She did not ask for free passes for life for her and her descendents. She made them aware of a customer service issue that needed to be addressed and that was it.

It is letters like HERS that make it possible for the rest of us to always have magical experiences. If the "little petty things" were not addressed while they are still petty to others, I am sure we would hear about it from those that it finally did effect when it became a larger customer service issue.

Well said!

adriennek
01-08-2008, 06:23 PM
Her letter was not rude. She did not ask for free passes for life for her and her descendents.

OMG.No.Kidding.

You wouldn't believe some of the e-mail I get from people who want to figure out how to get free or discounted stuff out of the Mouse and the reasons for which they think they're entitled to this. (several rants deleted before hitting 'submit reply'. You're welcome.)

There aren't enough eyerolls. If I'm getting this stuff to my MousePlanet account, I can't imagine how much Disney gets.

Adrienne

spectromen
01-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Cindy, this has been my exact experience the past few months at DL, too. I hate it. I feel like I'm making a purchase at Wal-Mart instead of scanning into a theme park.

janell
01-08-2008, 07:33 PM

I agree, we should say something. The resort has just gotten big over the years and when we see something we should say something. That way we can try and keep the magic there. Its the magic that keeps us coming back.

Its not to much to ask a CM to say hello, good morning, good afternoon and so on or even welcome. It takes two seconds and those two seconds that CM has because they are waiting for the beep from your scaned ticket to let you in.

HobbitFeet
01-08-2008, 08:14 PM
I've been thinking about this.

And I remembered that three times on two trips with my AP (8 total days using that card) I had problems with my card. The first time, my entrance was just like described, and it didn't show that I had entered the park, making it impossible to get FPs with the AP. The second time it was the same entrance experience, of just totally ignoring me, or paying attention to something else involved in our "transaction", but not noticing something floopy with the card. And the same FP situation happened.

The last time they tried to ignore me, but I was feeling leery about how fast they scanned it, and I got their attention and made them look at me, made them check the scan, and it ended up that there was a problem and they had to do something manual. I did not have problems that day.

Mr.Abominable
01-08-2008, 08:34 PM
I personally also have an issue when the first CM to come in contact with guests does not greet them in a proper way. In many businesses, the first impression someone gets is the most important. I agree with the way that it was handled. I too am an AP and even though I am not there as often as cstephens, I have experienced the rudeness of no eye contact or friendly greeting. I do not think that it is too petty of a thing to bring to Disney's attention. Disneyland is not WalMart or Taco Bell. I do understand that CMs are not the most highly paid staff and that they are allowed to have bad days but it is something that must be checked at the door when coming to work at the "Happiest Place on Earth". I do not even remotely think that Walt or anyone else in Disney management would dispute this.