PDA

View Full Version : New Splash Mountain rule...?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

ShirleyFilms
01-07-2008, 12:39 PM
This weekend, my 6 year old (48 inches) was saddened to learn that there is a new ride rule on Splash Mountain. We were informed (multiple times over the weekend) that he was no longer allowed to ride in the front seat of the log. They never asked his age or his height, but apparently an "adult" must now ride in front of the little ones.

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this development. Is there a specific height/age in place now for riding in the front? Does anyone know why this rule was enacted? The cast members seemed unable/unwilling to tell us why.

My son was definitely let down by this new edict. Riding in the front of Splash has been his favorite pastime for the past 2 years. I am certain that he will eventually be able to do so again.... but it was one of the less happy revelations of our recent trip.

Thanks.

TTFN92
01-07-2008, 01:08 PM
I hope it doesn't have to be an adult :eek:. DH and I hate to ride in the front but my boys love it, especially my 11 yr. old. My 7 y.o. was hoping to this trip but I guess he won't be able to. I would rather sit in the back because it is drier ;).

houseofmouse
01-07-2008, 01:45 PM
That truly is a bummer, I don't like sitting in the front either and we always get a family or group pic each summer! If an adult sits in front of the little ones, it is hard to see them sometimes in the picture. I would definitely call Disneyland and ask, they will be able to tell you and most times if they don't know they will put you on hold to find out. Good luck and if you call let us know what they say!! :)

olegc
01-07-2008, 02:11 PM
that's a HUGE bummer for ride photos - since most parents will block out small children behind them for photos..

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
01-07-2008, 03:45 PM
That is a shame. Seems like it would be easier for adults to keep track of the kiddos if they are in front of them, too.

dawnid
01-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Sounds to me like a new rule because someone's munchkins misbehaved. I wouldn't think there is a new safety concern based on height alone. Unfortunately more and more children do not listen to the empty threats of the parental units saying, "don't do that, don't do that" with no punishment to back it up. So I would guess Disney is trying the maybe if they have to sit with them the children will stay seated/hands in/etc.

As with most of the things that we can no longer do the few spoil it for the many.

cstephens
01-07-2008, 04:01 PM
OK, I can't remember since I haven't been on Splash in a while - are there seatbelts?

Andrew
01-07-2008, 04:11 PM
OK, I can't remember since I haven't been on Splash in a while - are there seatbelts?

No seatbelts.

cstephens
01-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Ooops, sorry, I forgot - it's a water ride, so they can't have seatbelts.

bassett1976
01-07-2008, 04:43 PM
I'm wondering if the adult in the front might help with a weight distribution problem? Maybe the logs are becoming backed up and they are trying to make this change.

Reguardless, I agree, kids should be in the front. They like to get wet and they come out in the pictures.

sierranevada
01-07-2008, 05:45 PM
When we were loading on Splash last week, the CM said that someone 5' tall or more must take the first seat - she did not care if it was an adult or not and was only concerned about the height. I was thinking it was a weight distribution requirement since the new logs seem to get stuck a lot. My son loves the front seat and luckily just cleared 5'.

kohl
01-07-2008, 05:52 PM
Ooops, sorry, I forgot - it's a water ride, so they can't have seatbelts.

Doesn't Grizzly River Run have seatbelts?

bradk
01-07-2008, 08:15 PM
been too long for me, but i'm sure it does. kali river rapids does.

they need seatbelts because of the bumpage.

splash doesn't need seatbelts

USF did put lapbars on ripsaw falls though

hefferdude
01-08-2008, 07:08 AM
My sons always loved to ride up front ( old style boats pre-seat back style )They would duck down so I would get wet at the end of the drop.

Thinking about the change, I would surmise it may be due to torso length -ie keeping a guest's head ( including neck,chin and teeth ) reasonably above the front edge of the boat. Perhaps small guests were incurring minor injuries during the ride particularly at the bottom of the final drop.

Caveat, heavier guests in the front do cause the boat to pearl under ( IASW anyone? ) so I'm not sure the new rule may be the best answer.:(

ralfrick
01-08-2008, 07:25 AM
Sounds to me like a new rule because someone's munchkins misbehaved. I wouldn't think there is a new safety concern based on height alone. Unfortunately more and more children do not listen to the empty threats of the parental units saying, "don't do that, don't do that" with no punishment to back it up. So I would guess Disney is trying the maybe if they have to sit with them the children will stay seated/hands in/etc.

As with most of the things that we can no longer do the few spoil it for the many.

Good guess, but it can't possibly apply here since Splash has individual seats, except for the very back. Controlling a child is much easier on that ride if you are behind them rather than in front of them. Guess my photo of the boy on front at age 5 will be destined to become a collector's item. The word silly comes to mind. But I don't want to discount absurd. There's also..............

Cheers.

going2disneyAZ
01-08-2008, 08:31 AM
We were told the same thing, "an adult must be in the first seat". We were told this multiple times last week.

disneynut
01-08-2008, 08:45 AM
When we were there the week of Christmas, they told us the same thing. I have a 7 y/o and 10 y/o. They told us that the kids need to be 60" to ride in the front seat. They did let us leave the front seat empty and let the kids sit in the next seats and us (the adults) behind them. My husband asked the cm at the entrance to the barn and she told him it was because they were having kids duck under the front of the log on the drop and they had too many needing stitches because their heads were getting whacked when the log finished the drop. Now she also mentioned that the logs were going to be redone soon and that this policy was only going to exist until that happened. Don't know how true it is so take it with a grain of salt but that's what was explained to us.

Crazy4DL
01-08-2008, 09:42 AM
My grandsons are going to be disappointed about not being able to ride in the front too - and I am not sure which one of us adults will be willing to get wet each time. :p

We have pictures of each of our three older grandsons in the front at least once . . and hopefully when the younger grandkids get old enough to want to ride in front the rule will change (or the logs).

knotts ride op
01-08-2008, 09:55 AM
One of the rides I work at Knott's is Timber Mountain Log Ride. At Knott's we have a long bench-type seat and require small children to sit in front of adults. We require this because going up the two major lifts, people slide back in the seats and this would not put small children in jeopardy due to their parents sliding back on them. At Disney they don't have this problem due to individual seats. My guess is, as eariler posters have suggested, that upon impact with the water at the start of the run-out there is a possiblilty that children could be thrown forward, face first, into the trailing edge of the front of the log. But, being over 5' the chest would be more likly to contact that trailing edge. Just my guess.

TTFN92
01-08-2008, 11:45 AM
They did let us leave the front seat empty and let the kids sit in the next seats and us (the adults) behind them.

That sounds good. We usually have an empy seat in the middle so the kids can still sit in the front and DH and I can sit in the drier back ;).

houseofmouse
01-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Okay so I followed my own advice and called Disneyland to ask what the policy was. The CM I spoke with asked his lead who then told him this is a new policy due to the fact little kids can slip under the front of the log and get injured. So they are using the 5 foot rule to put people in that front seat. So those who posted about this very issue with kids getting hurt were right on the money. They did not tell me the logs were going to be re-done or anything like that. He also said I could call later when Splash was open 10 their time, 11 mine and they could call over to the ride to get the exact reason. But I have not done that as I was gone by then. :)

cookie7762
01-08-2008, 08:42 PM
I unsderstand the safety issue, but its too bad since it seems the young ones are the only ones that don't mind walking in drenched jeans and squishy tennies for an afternoon! To me the front seat is the suckers seat... especially when its early and the water level is exceptionally high!

GORGON
01-09-2008, 09:20 AM
My daughter is stilled scared to ride Splash. I hope the go to the double seats like WDW. I know it's a retrofit but i would prefer it as well.

Jim Dear and Darling
01-09-2008, 11:10 AM
I'm all for anything that makes the ride safer. It's a bummer for the kids though. More for them to look forward to when they get a little older I guess!

splash
01-09-2008, 11:10 AM
I was going to say that my son rode in the front of the log when we were there, but he is almost 6 ft tall at age 13, so I guess that doesn't apply for him.

Also, Grizzly River does have seatbelts.

All I know is I love splash mountain.