PDA

View Full Version : Dear Cynthia Harris...

Pages : [1] 2

Attractions 87
08-15-2002, 08:17 AM
Dear Cynthia,

My name is Attractions 87, and by my moniker you can see that I have been an employee with Disneyland for fifteen years. I chose a career with Disneyland becasue I loved the product that Disney put out...happiness

Over the past fifteen years, I have seen many changes. At this point in time, let me be frank by saying how absolutely apalled I am at the treatment of us employees at the hand of Disney.

Year after year, we tell you how unhappy we are. How Disney asks us to maintain high standards with regards to guests, yet Disney itself disregards Disney standards when it comes to the treatment of employees. We are not people, we are a drain on revenue. Unwritten company policy is that you don't want anyone working there longer than two years because we make too much money. You force us to park far from our work locations. (I work all parts of the park, yet can only park in K-Lot.) You demand free labor by forcing us to get our own costumes. You instill CDS whose sole purpose is not to save money (CDS so far has not saved a dime. All monies saved are attributed to a lower-than-projected attendance from 9/11 and a bad economy), but in fact the only logical conclusion must be that CDS's sole purpose is to make us unhappy. When you do give us surveys, the results are ignored because you don't like the outcome. And finally, the proverbial straw that broke my back, was the fact that Yumz (or whatever it's called now in Fantasyland) wouldn't give me any salt for my lunch because it's an on-stage area. So I had to walk all the way to Village Haus to get some salt and then walk all the way back to the Boathouse for my lunch. Was salt really that much to ask for??????

Petty, true. But that last part exemplifies how little Disney cares for us Cast Members. How you wish we'd all just go away and stop draining your bank account because money is all that Disney cares for now.

Did you know that it takes several months to years for a compliment to reach a Cast Member, but a matter of hours for a complaint to be given to him? Did you know that a test was done last year in which several Cast Members were given compliments at City Hall and each compliment was acknowledged by City Hall, yet over a year later not a single Cast Member has received their compliment?! Tis proves the long believed addage, "Disney will choke it's own grandmother before giving a compliment to a Cast Member."

I absolutely loved the commercials Disney was airing this spring. The theme was "The Bare Necessities". Quite ironic. Because the bare necessities is exactly what Disney wants to give it's guests and cast members.

I once mentioned the declining standards to a lead and how Walt Disney wouldn't have it. The lead replied, and this is a quote, "Walt's dead."

He certainly is.

And so, after fifteen years, it is with no regret that I tender my resignation. I can not bare any longer to see how absolutely rotten you treat your loyal workers. The Disney name has been smeared, you have turned away from the magic of Tinker Bell's pixie dist and have sold your soul for the glitter of gold dust.

Good bye, Disney. I won't miss you.

Attractions 87

P.S. I have posted a copy of this resignation on MousePlanet. If you wish to reply, you may do so there. I think the public would be interested to read it. The message header is "Dear Cynthia Harris" in the "Disneyland Resort" message section.

80S ERA
08-15-2002, 08:41 AM
This recent trend not only applies to CM's, but to guests as well. It is sad. How far will it go?

On the other hand, you really can't blame them. You see, being employed by Disney or any other highly admired company in America has its drawbacks. The main problem is that people love the company so much, they are almost willing to work for them for free. With that said, they are almost never short of qualified help -- no matter what they pay or how they treat their employees. A few years ago, I had eagerly sought after a bright future with the Disney company as an engineer. I was offered a position after a few interviews. They wanted me to work more hours than I was currently working (40/week) for less pay. When I tried to negotiate my salary, they simply told me that there were plenty of others in line willing to take a lower-than-market salary for the position.

As far as guest treatment goes, expect them to continue to remove attractions. Again, you can't really blame them. In recent years, they have raised the cost of admission while removing more attractions without having much of an impact on attendance. They will continue to do this until people stop attending.

So, what can you do as a Cast Member? The only choice you have is to either quit your job or roll this dice and fight them in court. Although Disney has tons of lawyers on their side, they have lost their share of battles in recent years with labor disputes (from what I've read.) You could organize a class action suit against the company provided they are doing something against the law. But you could only ask yourself, "Is it worth it?"

disguy
08-15-2002, 08:49 AM
I think they should really have a Union for full time employees not just Disney but any year-round theme park. All it takes is a few walk outs and you'll get it. What would happen if No one showed up for work on a busy summer day?

You also have to keep in mind that it's just just Cynthia there are so many decision makers in this large company. This was my first and last year of getting an AP. I simply don't think it's worth getting unless they add to Disneyland. I could give a flying "flik" about DCA I go there for Disneyland. I go to DCA just because it comes with my pass.

I think Disney better look far ahead into the future. Soon I think the only thing they'll have going for them are the "first timers" to the park. Everyone else will be sick of there games and there lack of quality. That is going to hit big in there pocket books.

Cooie
08-15-2002, 09:29 AM
Wow. I think I'll try to be a lot kinder to CMs who appear to be having a bad day... I had no idea the situation on the inside was that dire.

It breaks my heart that the commendations I fill out at City Hall don't make it to castmembers until up to years later. Why would they do that? I'd think promptly passing them on would make castmembers happier to go out there and give good service.

rexfarms
08-15-2002, 10:38 AM
Every trip to Disneyland, at the end I sit on one particular bench in Town Square. And I write down all of the Cast Members that have been very nice and helpful. Then I go to City Hall and give them the names of the CMs. How can it be that the CMs are not getting their comments? This is very very sad. What can we do as Guests? What can we do as APs? Something needs to be done because this looks like it just may be the straw that breaks the camel's back. :crying:

FatAl
08-15-2002, 10:51 AM
I am sorry to hear that you resigned. Disneyland is down with one more good CM. I wish I could borrow your letter, change the company name, and submit it before I was layoff April last year. Still unemployed though! You showed 'true grit' but foolish spirt. Hope your future is happy.

(In my case, the company that I worked for gave me three raises annually for three years straight, trained alot of foreign workers, converted them to different Visa which allowed them to become permanent resident after two years working for the same one, then ... ) Sorry for whining. I feel better now.

I think all APerS in MousePlanet should vote with actions. How about joining together and boycotting DL for one week during DL's holiday season? Don't forget to inform Ms. Harris ahead of time, or simply let her knows you will not buy all those one of a kind beautiful merchandise while there for a period of time.

I am not an AP, but I did manage to spend more than $2K on lodgings, meals, and beautiful sourvenirs last year - all in DL, DCA, and DD. This Saturday, I will take my family to USH, Southern California, and KBF for five days. During my visit to Downtown Disney next week, I will manage to steer my two daughters, 10 and 12, to shop at Build-a-Bear and others. Downtown Disney is for visit only. I guess I am in trouble now because I promise to take them to DL during Christmas season. Well, to quote Ms. Scarlett, "I can't think now, there's always ... to-morrow, ... ".

P.S. Al should be allowed to go to DL during the boycott. I belive his reportings and opinions are harsh but harsh-with-love. Most of the time, they are informative and educational.

Frees
08-15-2002, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by rexfarms
Every trip to Disneyland, at the end I sit on one particular bench in Town Square. And I write down all of the Cast Members that have been very nice and helpful. Then I go to City Hall and give them the names of the CMs. How can it be that the CMs are not getting their comments? This is very very sad. What can we do as Guests? What can we do as APs? Something needs to be done because this looks like it just may be the straw that breaks the camel's back. :crying:
I went in to commend two CMs one evening and the guy at the desk asked me twice what they did that was so good. I told him it was just their general attitude, friendliness and willingness to intereact guests. He just sort of starred at me vacantly and then instead of giving me the report form, he wrote their names down on a yellow pad of paper and said he'd fill it out later. At the time it was a little busy and I didn't think much of it, but in light of what I'm hearing, I'm guessing that piece of paper went into the circular file.

disguy
08-15-2002, 12:08 PM
Ok this is what I'm thinking let me know what you guys think...

You can read in several articles on the web of Lawsuits filed by past Disney employees. From what it says they make some of there cm's (the one's they want out because of how long they've been there) feel as if they are not doing the job right...not falling specific orders etc...etc.. Now you would think that most cm's that get the most compliments are the ones that have been there the lognest with the most training of guests. So...if they are trying on working to get these High paid people out by letting them think they are doing a bad job...why would they want to give them all these guest compliments on how great there job is doing?

Anyone know where I'm coming from, cause I dont :)

kennyhues
08-15-2002, 12:28 PM
What do we do for the CMs? Simple. Compliment them directly, so they get to hear it, and then tell them we're going to fill out commendations. Another idea: Fill out commendations and write right on them, "Please let this CM know they've been commended - I know they're usually not told in a timely manner when they're doing a good job." Maybe a compliment campaign needs to be started. Don't fill out bogus compliment forms, that won't accomplish anything. Instead of just internally appreciating great CMs, take the time to do the end-of-the-day park bench thing and compliment everyone who added magic to your day. You'll have to read and remember a few name tags, but in the long run it's worth it. How tragic that we have to go to these lengths just to love on great CMs.

disguy
08-15-2002, 12:40 PM
How about we start a "Cm appreciation" (spl?) website somewhat like a guest book.

bud12887
08-15-2002, 12:58 PM
I have an idea, lets use a little tough love............................ Let's organize an old-fashion stand in right at the cente rof the entrance plaza. We'll make it like a meet, tell all websites,amdnd assign one of the bussiest days of the year, when passholders and fun lovin people go the most after summer.......new year's eve!!!!!!!!!!!! We can stand in a circle, sit down and let the circle get bigger and bigger, making more rings with the people who join, and kinda boycott it. No violence, no meanness, just a way to grab attention to make our voicews heard, we could call it, the Fan site sit-in or annual-passholder-sit-in!!!!! Notify news stations, papers, national news networks, and most importantly, TDA and the walt disney co. This is only me thinking, but please, give ideas on how to have an un-violent protest that wont get ugly. Lets have a clean one, no arrests, bring your kids , and make all our voices heard where it counts, at the park (literally)!!!!
As for the cm's, I alaways compliment them and tell them thank you very much, or have a conversation with them. They cna be so nice and helpful. I'm kinda depressed, I was planning on a fall back carrear in the creative/concept at imaginnering, a GOOD top person at TDA, or a screen writer for Feature Animation or something like that. Now I dont know if I wanna do that, if it pays so terribly. Maybe they should take something away from eisner's 200 million PLUS paycheck that takes away from the quality of the parks, the people, amd the magic.

innerSpaceman
08-15-2002, 04:46 PM
When I have a compliment to register for a CM, I try to do it before I'm actually leaving the park. First of all, I insist that the folks at City Hall put it on the official form, as opposed to the yellow pad they always try to get away with. Then, most importantly, I try to return to the CM and tell them that I have filed a compliment at City Hall.

As for a non-violent protest, you would not be allowed to do any such thing on Disney property. Standing in a big circle would be broken up by security in a hot minute.

Maybe we could get a whole bunch of AP MPers to make a very public pledge to go to the park every weekend of the upcoming holiday season and NOT SPEND A SINGLE DIME at the "resort." Just use their facilities, go on rides, add to the crowds, but spend zero money. We can all go to the Denny's (ycch) on Harbor for lunch, and then back to the Park for more penny-pinching.

awinner
08-15-2002, 05:23 PM
OT: Innerspaceman's post was the 47,000th one on the DL resort board...in case anyone was interested:rolleyes:

Ace
08-15-2002, 08:37 PM
Com....puter? Inter....net?

MammaSilva
08-15-2002, 08:51 PM
I started a little tradition a couple of visits ago with the WWWD pins, but now when I go into City Hall and pick up our SAP I ask for the compliment form right then, and I take it with me to fill out later....I don't know for sure I'll need one, but it is Disneyland and I'm always ready to bet that I will! then the next trip past City Hall I deliver it....that might not make sure the CM knows about it but the WWWD pin and/or the verbal thanks I give them lets them know I appreciate their efforts!

Morrigoon
08-15-2002, 09:36 PM
Having been on the "inside" as well as the outside of this, lemme add a few comments here:

Certain locations (ones with good managers I guess) will give you your compliments quickly. I personally recieved 6 or 7 a year.

If you want to improve the chance of your compliment being recieved, don't just tell city hall. Walk up and ask for the compliment FORM, and fill it out yourself. Those get scanned into a system and sent over to the locations. CM's who get, I think it's more than 2, will also get a card from Cynthia. A couple of the ones I got were the city hall CM remarking that the guest had said this or that, but the ones that meant the most were the ones handwritten by the guest - felt like a very personal thank you. Besides, who knows how many verbal compliments were never committed to paper.

Another way to immediately impact a CM is to ask for their manager at the location. This works best in restaurants, obviously, but if the manager is nearby, ask for them and compliment the CM directly to the manager. Remember, a manager can put it directly into their file. Also, since the managers oversee the CMs in their day-to-day work, it puts a positive impression of the CM in the manager's mind.

innerSpaceman
08-15-2002, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by awinner
OT: Innerspaceman's post was the 47,000th one on the DL resort board
Kewl. Where's my prize?

cstephens
08-16-2002, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
Maybe we could get a whole bunch of AP MPers to make a very public pledge to go to the park every weekend of the upcoming holiday season and NOT SPEND A SINGLE DIME at the "resort." Just use their facilities, go on rides, add to the crowds, but spend zero money. We can all go to the Denny's (ycch) on Harbor for lunch, and then back to the Park for more penny-pinching.

Ummm, ok, so what exactly is this supposed to accomplish?

Frees
08-16-2002, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
When I have a compliment to register for a CM, I try to do it before I'm actually leaving the park. First of all, I insist that the folks at City Hall put it on the official form, as opposed to the yellow pad they always try to get away with. Then, most importantly, I try to return to the CM and tell them that I have filed a compliment at City Hall.
Oh, don't worry, the next time I gave a CM a compliment I made sure I filled out the form myself and have done so since. I was just... surprised at the indifference that was taken at CH and at first thought it was just because it was a busy night. Now I'm hearing that other people have seen them use the old pad-o-paper, "yeah sure I'll fill it out", wink, wink trick. Way to foster good morale in what can be an extremely stressful job, Disney!

FabShelly
08-16-2002, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by disguy
How about we start a "Cm appreciation" (spl?) website somewhat like a guest book.

There's all ready one: http://www.whatwouldwaltdo.com

Fab

disguy
08-16-2002, 09:25 PM
I didn't read everything on the site but it seems to me like it's more for profit then anything else.

MammaSilva
08-16-2002, 09:38 PM
well I don't know about any one else, but I can tell you from a pin collectors experience that 3 high quality pins for 15 bucks, this is a labor of love NOT a huge profit margin! I've bought the WWWD pins to present to Cast Members and will do so again before our next trip.....the ones I bought before were of a high quality, not chessy dime store pins, and now I just finished reading that they went to a new supplier with even a better quality pin, so doubting tomas attitudes aside, I think the people behind the WWWD site are just trying to help us, the Disney fans, recoginize outstanding service from a CM....but that is just MHO on it...

HBTiggerFan
08-16-2002, 10:24 PM
Attractions87, I am sorry to hear that DL is losing yet another great employee. I hope you find success in your next job/carreer.

As for compliments, I went to City Hall on a Sunday to fill one out and they didn't want to give me the form! They tried the yellow paper, I asked for a form. They tried to fill out the form, I said I wanted to take it with me. They said I was not allowed to take it with me, that there was a different number to call after I left City Hall :confused: so I said fine, I'll fill it out here, and they finally gave it to me.

Incidentaly, late one night I stopped in City Hall and witnessed the GR CMs telling a lady that she had to call some number after she left City Hall to file a compliment but if she had a complaint they could take it right there. She wanted to take a compliment form home.

awinner
08-16-2002, 10:46 PM
i went to the park today and went to city hall. i asked for the form and told them i wanted to take it with me to fill out and return later...he told me that can't do that anymore because it is a new form that is a legal piece of paper that can't leave city hall property, he said he would be more than happy to let me fill it out there.

Vegettack
08-16-2002, 11:01 PM
Sad sad..... Very sad... Well first i must give my respect to all CM's out there, and i hope to become a CM myself in the future, but until then, the best i can do is keep looking for extraordinary CM's that make my experience at Disneyland more enjoyable, and send compliments to City Hall.... Even if my compliments dont get through until later, it is still something i believe should be done, i guess it is the thought that counts, in this situation.... Perhaps if they realize how much compliments CM's start to get, they will act a bit faster? It's worth a try, and i plan on making it part of my routine.