PDA

View Full Version : Hearst Castle

rexfarms
06-17-2001, 03:15 PM
Do you think that DCA could have some sort of Hearst Castle attraction? Ride, Walkthrough...?:confused:

Morrigoon
06-17-2001, 07:31 PM
Fascinating idea... that or a Winchester House.

Napsto
06-17-2001, 07:49 PM
wwhat is hearst csatle?

Morrigoon
06-17-2001, 07:55 PM
Ever see the movie Citizen Kane? Its based on William Randolph Hearst. You know that great house in the film? ;)

Napsto
06-17-2001, 07:57 PM
no.

lisap
06-17-2001, 08:02 PM
Here is a cool picture of Hearst Castle in San Simeon. I think that would be a classy idea--in other words, will never happen...

http://216.65.197.135/welcome.shtml

rexfarms
06-17-2001, 08:09 PM
What kind of attraction should they put in it?

KarenW2
06-17-2001, 10:12 PM
How about a Tower of Terror in Heart's Castle??!! :D I'd also love to see some version of the Winchester Mystery House done in DCA. I especially love the stairs that go nowhere, the "easy risers", etc. Lots of great possibilities, plus a great opportunity for a Victorian house attraction in DCA! And didn't somebody say they took out the Haunted Shack in Knott's Berry Farm??

Sarah Winchester believed (incorrectly unfortunately!) that as long as something was being worked on in her house, she'd never die. That's why you see all sorts of weird construction there. Sad what some people will believe.

Matterhorn Fan
06-18-2001, 05:00 AM
That's sad? I don't think so. Even if Sarah Winchester wasn't really cursed, you have to admit that it makes a good story, a great tour, and resulted in a crazy (and absolutely insane) house. Everyone should see it sometime. (And, unlike Hearst Castle, there's only one tour, so you can see it all without making an entire vacation out of it.)

lisap
06-18-2001, 05:25 AM
It would be neat to have a totally themed roller coaster around/inside Hearst castle--isn't it Spanish-mission styled? Very Californian.

EandCDad
06-18-2001, 11:56 AM
This discussion brings to mind the drawback of having a California themed park in California. Instead of having a Disneyfied version of Hearst Castle, I would recommend everyone just go to the original, which is about 4-5 hours north of Disneyland. It is great for fans of history, architecture, and art. Its like having a park about Hollywood when Hollywood is very close, or putting a beach attraction when you are close to the beach. Why not just go to the original?

lisap
06-18-2001, 12:02 PM
true, but would they sell you a huge square of pumpkin fudge or a giant pickle with the original?

EandCDad
06-18-2001, 12:08 PM
It's always about the giant pickle with you;)

lisap
06-18-2001, 12:29 PM
:)

Mandrake Linux
06-18-2001, 06:00 PM
Enough castles!

Matterhorn Fan
06-19-2001, 04:51 AM
EandC, I've got to agree with you (I'm talking about DCA's theme, not about the pickle).

The California theme does seem a little strange to me--not only can tourists see CA (from the Golden Gate to Hollywood) faster than ever, Californians can now see things (smaller and with giant pickles and giftshops everywhere they look) that they've already seen. Think about it--would YOU go to Chinatown if you had the opportunity to go to China?

From AAA's Via Magazine (Jan/Feb 2001):

"Disney's replication of the Golden State is nearly perfect, but there are two omissions. One is Silicon Valley [ . . . ].

"The other omission is Disneyland, a quintissential California institution. Of course, if they replicated Disneyland inside California Adventure, it wouldn't be the Happiest Place on Earth, but a simulation of the Happest Place on Earth, an earnest effort at capturing the original fantasy." (p.60)

What you might expect to be a fluff article has pinned down the theming problem--a theme park can't be about a state when that state's just outside. I can go to the boardwalk at Santa Cruz, see Golden Gate (full-size), witness the actual taping of a television program, and tour a functioning winery on my own (and possibly for less than the price of admission to the park).

Oh, and there are refreshments at/near both Hearst Castle and the Winchester Mystery House. Giant pickles may be available.

adriennek
06-19-2001, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by EandCDad
This discussion brings to mind the drawback of having a California themed park in California. Instead of having a Disneyfied version of Hearst Castle, I would recommend everyone just go to the original, which is about 4-5 hours north of Disneyland. It is great for fans of history, architecture, and art. Its like having a park about Hollywood when Hollywood is very close, or putting a beach attraction when you are close to the beach. Why not just go to the original?

This is what I'm thinking. The only way I'd want to go visit a reproduced Hearst Castle would be if it was for me to live there. Gosh, that would be cool! Hearst Castle is a huge, unique place-- how would they possibly be able to re-do any of it and do it even the slightest justice?

And Lisa-- re: the pickle comments-- they make your signature line from Mary Poppins more appropriate than ever. Oh, that made me laugh.

Adrienne K

lisap
06-19-2001, 03:46 PM
Sheesh, my comment was perfectly innocent! Get your mind out of the gutter, people! Can't a person have a giant pickle and big polish sausage on the side without getting persecuted?
:p

Morrigoon
06-19-2001, 11:24 PM
Re: Hearst Castle Hotel...

There's always Timon....

(I still hold out hope of someone seeing an earlier string of posts recommending a Chinatown square with dragons and little shops, etc and the Olvera Street reproduction with a stage and mariachis, and tamale carts, and (Paul should love this) more little shops.

Enough with the big store thing, WOD is big enough. How about several small shops, under one department/budget, that act as small shops, with varying merchandise? That will make people want to visit more than one of them. Current merchandising policy (though it's improved a bit since Cynthia took over) leans toward very homogenous shopping, why go into a store if it sells the same plush junk as the last one?

Plus, Chinatown and Olvera street really open up the options for rides/shows Imagine getting the Legend of Mulan show, or dancing girls in colorful dresses accompanied by a merry band of mariachis, or a daily new years celebration (think NOS' party gras). Imagine eating dim sum at an outdoor cafe, or buying a marionette from a little cart. Sorry, falling off topic here, aren't I?

(sigh) But no one asks me....

rexfarms
06-20-2001, 07:10 PM
What would be cool. Is if instead of the Olvera Street. They had something like they have at the Mexico thing in Epcot. Maybe a water/fulm ride like "El Rio Del Tiempo" and a marketplace. Thoughts?

Morrigoon
06-20-2001, 08:03 PM
No more films.... please!

DCA- Dusty Cinematic Adventure

KarenW2
06-20-2001, 10:08 PM
They already have a movie thing like the Mexico place in Epcot, it's called the Mission Tortilla Factory! :p

80S ERA
06-21-2001, 10:57 AM
For those who know a little about William R. Hearst and his teaming with famous architect Julia Morgan, will happen to see the striking simularities with Disneyland's founder, Walt Disney. Both men were dreamers, risk takers, unconventionalists, and visionaries.

Hearst had a dream of building his "Casa de Entrada" in a remote, central California area without plumming, electricity, or roads - simular to the "craziness" of Walt's Disneyland idea.

That puts Hearst Castle in the same landmark category as Disneyland. For this reason, placing a replica of his magnificent "Enchanted Hill" inside a park that is reflective of Disney's demise would be an insult to Hearst's legacy. Besides, placing even "fake" glamour and art would be too costly for the penny pinchers in suits..