PDA

View Full Version : Is There Some New Stroller Policy?

ladodgerjon
01-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Not sure. A friend said something vague to me on this.

Increase in price? Dunno. Anybody got some insights?

The Little Mermaid
01-04-2008, 08:18 PM
From the DLR Website (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/help/gsDetail?name=ParkwideServicesGSDetailPage):

Stroller Rental

Disney's California Adventure® Park and Disneyland® Park: Stroller rentals are available inside the Main Entrance for $10.00 per day.
Downtown Disney® District: Sorry, stroller rentals are not offered in Downtown Disney® District.

motomickey
01-04-2008, 11:01 PM
1 stroller is $10, 2 are $18. You can get a free rental with a Disney Visa but ONLY at the main gate. Otherwise, you can rent a stroller at the Main Gate and Star Trader also (except on busy days, the tomorrowland location may only be able to replace "stolen" strollers, not rent new ones.) Be sure to take your packages out of the stroller when you leave it--I have had several guests the last few days come to get a replacement stroller at Star Trader and tell me that someone took their stroller and the stuff they left in it! You need to keep your receipt and blue stroller tag in case you need a replacement.

bev:)

disneyhound
01-05-2008, 06:25 AM
I heard a rumor they were banning strollers from Disneyland, period. Only children capable of biped upright mobility, with a minimum 4.45 feet per second pace, and a minimum 10 hour duration capacity, would be allowed to enter the resort area. Disabled children would be an exception of course. ;)

TTFN92
01-05-2008, 01:33 PM
Does anyone know what the double strollers look like? The ones at WDW are hard, molded plastic with no storage. That wasn't an option. Just wondering if they are any better at DL. Anyone have a picture by any chance?

Darkbeer
01-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Does anyone know what the double strollers look like? The ones at WDW are hard, molded plastic with no storage. That wasn't an option. Just wondering if they are any better at DL. Anyone have a picture by any chance?

Disneyland does NOT rent double strollers. They will rent you 2 single strollers for a discount, as mentioned above. But there is just one type of stroller, a single.

Pastafarian
01-05-2008, 06:38 PM

Hey TTFN,

The walkways between Lands and within the lands themselves are much narrower in DL than WDW. I think it would becoma a NIGHTMARE if double strollers were rented out in addition to single strollers, but not sure if that plays a role in why they don't offer them or not (just a hunch).

P

TTFN92
01-05-2008, 08:04 PM
That's true about WDW. I really can't stand the side by side strollers anyway. They take up way too much space.

Karin
01-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Disneyland does NOT rent double strollers. They will rent you 2 single strollers for a discount, as mentioned above. But there is just one type of stroller, a single.

When did this change? I used to see two kinds, a single and a wider version that two kids could sit in side-by-side, but still in one large compartment.

Malcon10t
01-06-2008, 09:26 AM
When did this change? I used to see two kinds, a single and a wider version that two kids could sit in side-by-side, but still in one large compartment.I don't remember there ever being a double at Disneyland.

cstephens
01-06-2008, 03:44 PM
When did this change? I used to see two kinds, a single and a wider version that two kids could sit in side-by-side, but still in one large compartment.

Perhaps you just saw someone's personal stroller that they brought? I've seen those. I've not seen Disney renting double-strollers.

Rkkm
01-06-2008, 04:58 PM
Forget worrying about double-wide strollers ... just wait until all of us aging Baby Boomers start roaring around the parks in our mega-electric scooters!

TTFN92
01-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Are the strollers still the green jogging style with the single wheel in front? If they are I have to think that they don't have any storage except for a small bag in back. Is that correct? I'm trying to figure out my options. I just figured out that we can get 2 strollers free a day with the Disney Visa. We have a van this trip instead of a Suburban and don't know how the stroller will fit in. I need to know there is another option. But if there isn't any storage that might not be an option.

yohomama212
01-07-2008, 03:06 PM
They are still the green jogging strollers. There is a tiny bag in the back and a slightly larger bag on the underside. We can usually fit two adult and two child sweatshirts in the underside bag and enough diapers and wipes to make it through the late afternoon/evening with two diapered children.

Elizabeth

ladodgerjon
01-07-2008, 06:43 PM
I have had several guests the last few days come to get a replacement stroller at Star Trader and tell me that someone took their stroller and the stuff they left in it! You need to keep your receipt and blue stroller tag in case you need a replacement.

I ALWAYS bring my own stroller... but on ONE occasion, I forgot to bring it and was forced to rent a DLR stroller.

Long story short, I got all the way to the exit at the end of the night and discovered I had someone else's DLR rent-a-stroller.

Fortunately the other party had no packages on-board, but all of MY packages were wherever I last left my stroller. I had to retrace the last three stops I had made before I found where I had left "my" stroller.

I felt like a boob for not being more observant with my look-a-like stroller. The only upside is that I wasn't rolling around w/some else's packages all night.

BTW: I've figured-out that DLR has purchased new strollers (w/less storage space).

Karin
01-07-2008, 07:06 PM
I don't remember there ever being a double at Disneyland.

Ok, maybe it was WDW I'm thinking of...

HobbitFeet
01-08-2008, 12:10 AM
Are the strollers still the green jogging style with the single wheel in front? If they are I have to think that they don't have any storage except for a small bag in back. Is that correct? I'm trying to figure out my options. I just figured out that we can get 2 strollers free a day with the Disney Visa. We have a van this trip instead of a Suburban and don't know how the stroller will fit in. I need to know there is another option. But if there isn't any storage that might not be an option.

Storage under, storage behind kiddo.

But please don't leave stuff in the stroller. We had a day-old pirate hat stolen out from under a ballcap and a blah sweatshirt, and once DS figured out that it was gone it nearly ruined his day. CMs made it right the next day, but that wouldn't have worked if it hadn't been brand new merchandise.

Just not worth it, when you could very well have your stuff stolen.

Anyway, the rental strollers are totally adequate, IMO for a day at the park. The real problem though is getting tired kiddoes out of the park and to the hotel or car. That's a long walk, even just to the trams and then up the escalator and to wherever your car is, carrying a couple sleepy/ing kids. And I'm not even going to talk about the pain it is to carry a sleepy 35 lb boy back to the Anabella, even going the shorter way...

No, where you really need strollers is when you LEAVE the parks! So IMO if you can fit the stroller in the vehicle, do, if you think sleeping kids is going to be an issue at the end of the day(s).

To the OP, there wasn't any new policy when I rented strollers for 3 days in a row a few weeks ago (decided to not bring my own, silly silly mistake). Anything less vague from the friend who mentioned this? I'm all curious. :geek:

yohomama212
01-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Long story short, I got all the way to the exit at the end of the night and discovered I had someone else's DLR rent-a-stroller.

Back at the beginning of last year when it was easier to rent a stroller than mess with my own I would bring along a ribbon or strip of cloth that was easy to spot in a crowd of strollers. I'd just tie it to the handle and go! Until I walked right out the gates without removing my ultra cool Tinkerbell fabric tie tied to the stroller! Ah well. I'm thinking it might even be a good idea to do now with my own stroller. I have the Sit-n-Stand and so do half the other parents in the parks!

Elizabeth

daveywest
01-10-2008, 10:40 AM

Just before our trip last year, my wife bought a double wide stroller. I've never had a worse time at DL. It was too large to navigate through the crowds, and I never got a break because it was too heavy for the wife to push with two kids on board.

I did put my foot down the second day, and I refused to allow her to fill the bottom with bottled water and Capri Suns. She insisted, and stubbornly said she would push the stroller all day. About a half block from our hotel, we turned back to unload when she realized how much extra weight she was making me push around.

I think a tandem (one behind the other) wouldn't be as bad as the double-wide.

Bolivar
01-10-2008, 02:51 PM
I find a stoller to be way more trouble than it is worth. Sure without one you end up carrying a child around sometimes, but you also never have to find parking for it or get through the bottlenecks like into adventureland from NOS or through the fireworks or fantasmic crowds.

TTFN92
01-10-2008, 04:56 PM
I find a stoller to be way more trouble than it is worth. Sure without one you end up carrying a child around sometimes, but you also never have to find parking for it or get through the bottlenecks like into adventureland from NOS or through the fireworks or fantasmic crowds.

We actually have 2 kids, 7 and 6, that ride in the stroller. Our other kids definitely would have been walking the whole time by this age, but my 7 y.o., who is almost 8, has a heart condition that makes him tire easily. Then the 6 y.o. is just a baby about it. Whenever we go to the mall he whines that I don't have the stroller and have to walk. Plus, I like having somewhere to put my stuff, like snacks and cameras. I don't like having to carry it ;).

Bolivar
01-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Oh, I'm not trying to make you feel defensive about having a stroller. I am just saying that I find it harder to have a stroller and for me it is easier to leave it at home. Different people have different kids and find different things easier and harder. My wife always wants to bring the stroller. I have convinced her we are better off without it, though if she went without me my bet is that she would bring the stroller.

Some of the variables there are that differ between my wife and I: 1) I draw a much harder line on carrying, I say no, he knows that, he doesn't ask or whine about it if I am there (or at least not nearly as much); 2) if there is carrying to do and I am there I am the one who does it; 3) I am a minimalist so we really don't bring anything to the park that we need to carry.

VickiC
01-11-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm the same way. I threw away our stroller when the youngest was three and she started walking everywhere. San Diego Wild Animal Park I clocked us at walking 5.5 miles whe she had just turned 4. There's no whining allowed in our household. You hoof it or we don't go anywhere. And everyone carries their own water and small snack on their own back or fanny pack.

TTFN92
01-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Oh, I'm not trying to make you feel defensive about having a stroller.

I know you weren't. I was just stating our circumstances. I wish we didn't have to deal with it, but we do. It would be so nice to just have them walk, like our other kids did. Luckily the 7 y.o. is on the small side so it makes it not quite so heavy to push. The bad side to that is that he can't go on Indy while his same age cousin and younger brother can :(.

HobbitFeet
01-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Oh, I'm not trying to make you feel defensive about having a stroller. I am just saying that I find it harder to have a stroller and for me it is easier to leave it at home. Different people have different kids and find different things easier and harder. My wife always wants to bring the stroller. I have convinced her we are better off without it, though if she went without me my bet is that she would bring the stroller.

Some of the variables there are that differ between my wife and I: 1) I draw a much harder line on carrying, I say no, he knows that, he doesn't ask or whine about it if I am there (or at least not nearly as much); 2) if there is carrying to do and I am there I am the one who does it; 3) I am a minimalist so we really don't bring anything to the park that we need to carry.

I thought we would be right there with you, but alas DS has inherited my tendency towards nasty nasty leg aches. Add that to growing pains (DH got them really bad when he was 3, too) and if he walks *everywhere* in a big day (zoo, disney, seaworld) we'll all be paying for it at 2 am when he wakes up with horrible pain. Poor kid. Yay for arnica, though, it heals what ails him. :)

And I'm a softy about carrying him b/c I remember very well how lovely it feels to be carried by a parent. It's just the nicest feeling, and I want him to have that memory too, just like I do. But I can't carry him all the time! :)