PDA

View Full Version : What would Disney have to do?

disguy
08-14-2002, 09:50 AM
We are talking only about Disney Land Resort... What would Disney have to do that would make you call it quits? Never to return to Disneyland. For some it has already happened and others are on the verge and of course there are also others who would say there isn't anything that bad that would make them stop visiting. Is there anything Disney could do to the Resort that would make you say "That's it! No AP No nothing!"?

Frees
08-14-2002, 10:38 AM
If they killed off either Pirates or Haunted Mansion, I'd probably not come back.

TecTalker2K
08-14-2002, 02:01 PM
I would quit going if they started to focus on thrill rides instead of quality entertainment.

Tigertail777
08-14-2002, 02:02 PM
ditto. Plus splash mountain, the jungle cruise, Indy, and big thunder. If they even updated them in a major sucky way I would have serious second thoughts. And especially if they do that to the Tiki Room I will be very angry..I don't mind updates if they add to the original without ignoring the original. Unlike the way WDW tiki did--I hate that show just from listening to the audio.

Rallymonkey23
08-14-2002, 02:10 PM
They would have to close their doors forever. ;)

coronamouseman
08-14-2002, 06:44 PM
They would have to make it prohibitively expensive to go there.

If it was $50 per person in the family to go, we would go something like once every year at most. With a SoCal AP, I'm guessing our average number of visits per year is something like 6 which means last year was about $25 per visit per person and this year, with the $99 AP will be more like $18 per person per visit.

So I suppose the question from the Disney Corp. standpoint is whether they would rather have the $250 for one family visit once a year or the $400 for 4-6 family visits during the year ......

coronamouseman
08-14-2002, 06:45 PM
Er, that would be $200 not $250 for a family of four ........

MonorailMan
08-14-2002, 07:08 PM
I'd prob. drop my pass if many rides closed. :)

Iceman
08-14-2002, 09:21 PM
I can't think of one single, catastrophic event that would make me stop going. It would be more of a feeling that they'd lost the magic. I know some people here feel that already, but they keep going. They complain all the time, but they keep going. ;)

If the cast members weren't so friendly, if the place wasn't spotlessly clean, if new rides kept opening that were ho-hum... if it stopped feeling SPECIAL to be in a Disney park, then I wouldn't go any more.

tredla
08-14-2002, 10:15 PM
If they took out peater pan I would probualy not return and if they continue to make rides without thems i would be discoraged from going. I love the thems in splash, pirates and so many others its what i love about disney and why i go you lose that and i'll go to magic mountain.

Sailor Butterfly
08-15-2002, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Iceman
If the cast members weren't so friendly, if the place wasn't spotlessly clean, if new rides kept opening that were ho-hum...

Nooooo comment.

Anyways, for me it would have to be if it was turned into a thrill park- a teenager's haven. That and if suddenly all the CM's were surly, seasonal people who look down their noses at everybody.

Cooie
08-15-2002, 09:35 AM
They'd have to close down the classics (ie, Jungle Cruise, HM, PotC, etc.) and put thrill rides in their place, stop serving Mint Juleps, and take down the Partners statue to erect a 50ft tall marble carving of Eisner.

innerSpaceman
08-15-2002, 09:37 AM
Ya know, I was thinking that there probably isn't anything they could do that would absolutely stop me from visting the Park. But then I recalled that I used to visit Epcot once a year religiously for an entire decade until they completely destroyed that park by replacing 80% of the attractions with absolute crap. I stopped going altogether and have no plans to ever go again. Despite the fact that there are other parks at WDW (and that Tower of Terror opened 3 days after the end of my last visit - grrrrrr), Epcot was the only thing worth traveling cross-country for and the rest was just gravy.

Disneyland is a slightly different story as it's right in my back yard and won't cost me thousands of dollars to visit. But if they were to replace, say, 90% of the attractions with absolute crap, I would visit the place no more.

RIght now, they're prolly at 30% replacement with crap or replacement with nothing, so don't think for a moment that 90% is not possible.

Frees
08-15-2002, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
I used to visit Epcot once a year religiously for an entire decade until they completely destroyed that park by replacing 80% of the attractions with absolute crap.
I haven't been to EPCOT, what used to be there and what's there now?

innerSpaceman
08-15-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Frees
I haven't been to EPCOT, what used to be there and what's there now?
Well, firstly - all of the pavilions in the original design of Future World, with the lone exception of The Living Seas, had a theme song (sometimes two). The first travesty of Epcot destruction was to eliminate all these songs and thus rid the place of its musical heart.

But specifically,
Spaceship Earth - excellent narration by the inimatible Walter Cronkite was eliminated, as was the incredible method of descent through the Ball Ball and the moving theme song "Tomorrow's Child."

Universe of Energy - the fantastically trippy opening segment featuring the Radok screen was cut, along with the theme song "Energy, You Make the World Go Round." The whole thing was transformed into the insiped 'Ellen's Energy Adventure' with AA figurres of Ellen DeGeneres in amongst the prehistoric dioramas of dinosaurs. Ycch. Worst, the absolutely kewl title song, "Universe of Energy" was cut.

World of Motion was eliminated entirely. What used to be just partially devoted to selling GM cars is now entirely devoted to that commercial purpose (imo). An incredibly themed Disney attraction was lost, along with dozens of AA figures (a few of which were misguidedly transferred to duty at Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean, where they stick out like sore thumbs)

Journey into Imagination, the fantastical attraction that appealed to kids and children-of-all-ages was deleted, along with the psychedelic playground, The Image Works. 3-D movie finale that had been a musical for many years ("Magic Journeys," then "Captain Eo") was replaced by non-musical "Honey, I Shrunk the Audience." In all, this pavilion lost the most music - "One Little Spark," "Makin' Memories," "Magic Journeys" and the songs from Captiain Eo - all gone! Also foolishly thrown away was Figment the dragon, Epcot's lone character invention and beloved mascot of the park. (I hear they are scrambling to bring Figment back in some form as his departure was a complete disaster for Epcot.)

The Land - best attraction of the three in this pavilion was eliminated - the intensely moving film "Symbiosis." The main boat ride was revised and its theme song, "Listen to the Land" was deleted.

The Living Seas - as if they couldn't resist downgrading every single pavilion, they eliminated the short, but important, ride section of this one. (No music was lost - this pavilion didn't have a song for them to cut.)

Finally, and most distressingly, the centerpiece attraction of Epcot, the fantastic pavilion of the future, HORIZONS, was bulldozed to the ground. This was Epcot's best pavilion (imo), a Disney masterpiece, and the thematic heart of the theme park.
Treasures beyond measure were lost, including the excellent theme song, "New Horizons."

Epcot is a mere shell of its former glory. As obsessed as I was about it, I am now glad that I devoted an entire decade of my life to convincing as many friends as I could to come to Epcot with me. Now that it's gone, I know that ten years of my life and thousands upon thousands of dollars were not depleted in vain.

disguy
08-15-2002, 03:49 PM

\World of Motion was eliminated entirely. What used to be just partially devoted to selling GM cars is now entirely devoted to that commercial purpose (imo). An incredibly themed Disney attraction was lost, along with dozens of AA figures (a few of which were misguidedly transferred to duty at Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean, where they stick out like sore thumbs)

Just curious....where exactly are these AA in the pirates ride at Disneyland?

thekirk
08-15-2002, 05:30 PM
They would have to do something seriously out of this world to not get me to go to Disneyland. You would have to tear down New Orleans Square, or tear down the castle to not get me to come to Disneyland. If I ever saw any steal coasters...and coasters sticking up out of the ground....and looking ugly, I would not be sooo egar to want to spend my money at Disney. I am a devoted fan, so I would probably go anyways...but I wouldn't ride the ride, and I would stay away from the ride I didn't care for was in. I don't think the park is ever going to drastically change, so that I don't want to go.

As long as I feel I'm being transported into a whole new world, I'm happy!

innerSpaceman
08-15-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by disguy
Just curious....where exactly are these AA in the pirates ride at Disneyland?
There is a group of them (humans and animals) just as you get to the p.c.- ruined "gluttony" scene, and a couple more as you are going up the hill at the end of the ride - they are grunting and straining with the treasure chest. You can always tell the World of Motion AAs: they are the ones with frozen facial expressions that are extremely exagerated. WoM was full of figures with moving limbs and bodies, but all of the facial expressions were plastered-on and unmoving.

HBTiggerFan
08-15-2002, 08:08 PM
Since I have a huge problem with paying the admission price (it was $40 when I got my AP and I have freinds who can get me in, got the AP more for convience than antyhing) If I could no longer afford an AP or have connections in I probably wouldn't go again. ITs to expensive for me now.

MammaSilva
08-15-2002, 08:16 PM
well as many horrible things as 'could' happen to the park, right at this moment I'd have to say that they would have to lock the gates forever to keep me from ever going again.....I'm sure that they could create an atmosphere that is so "non Disney" that I wouldn't go often ......but it would take a LOT to make me stop all together!

Techie7
08-15-2002, 09:02 PM
I am just thinking that if they screw up on the 50th at DLR I would be very unhappy and might boycott. I would react similarly if WDW gets anywhere near the advertising that DLR gets that year.

thekirk
08-15-2002, 09:17 PM
I agree with you, Techie7!!! I am totally looking forward to the 50th. I hope I'm not disapointed. But, if they do...I will know it's just the stupid big guys who just want the money to themselves. I don't think I will stop going if the screw up on the 50th, it's not Walt's falt, or the Imagineers falt....it's the top dogs. If the Imagineers were given more power, imagine how great Disneyland would be today!

If only!!!!!!!!

3IAlienKid
08-15-2002, 10:12 PM
What would Disney have to do that would make you call it quits? Never to return to Disneyland.

Actually, I've been thinking about this one for a couple of years now. Realistically, I don't think they could do anything that would get me to throw out my annual pass. It would have to be something really drastic like, say they close all the e-tickets. But this is unrealistic -- not even Pressler is dumb enough to do that. Instead of doing all the bad things at once, he slowly introduces one small change at a time so that we all have a chance to get used to it (and stop complaining about it) before introducing another. So realistically, that's why I can't see myself hating it so bad that I stop going.

But that's what really stinks about the whole thing -- I feel like such a sucker sometimes for putting up with it and paying all this cash to feed their selfish paychecks. But I keep going back. It's like a bad relationship where you lose your boundaries. You know, "can't live with it, can't live without it."

SimpTwister
08-16-2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by thekirk
If I ever saw any steal coasters...and coasters sticking up out of the ground....and looking ugly, I would not be sooo egar to want to spend my money at Disney.

Hmmm... You mean like CA Screamin' and Mulholland Madness, and to a somewhat lesser extent, Gadget? :(

Frees
08-16-2002, 09:23 AM
The whole thing was transformed into the insiped 'Ellen's Energy Adventure' with AA figurres of Ellen DeGeneres in amongst the prehistoric dioramas of dinosaurs.
Dear... God...

Well, thank you, you've saved me what money I would have spent on a trip to Florida anytime in the near future.