PDA

View Full Version : Must have been a good girl this year

Tink Lover
12-30-2007, 01:15 PM
I have to share my good fortune with others who can appreciate it. After years of being teased by my family for conducting my "Disneyland Death Marches", I got a wonderful gift from my parents on Christmas day: their leftover "classic" Disneyland ticket books. You know, the ones that have the little A-E tickets in them? Each ticket lists the rides that you can use it for, so reading the ticket is like a little trip down memory lane. All the E's are gone of course, how could anyone actually leave Disneyland having a valid E-ticket sitting in their back pocket and not use it? ;) Even though the "value" of the tickets is certainly less because the E's are gone, the fact that they are gone brings a big smile to my face, remembering past happy times.

Also have some leftover tickets for the 25th anniversay - at that point they were still taking tickets, but they were these little "good for any A-E ride" combo thingys. Now I'm curious: does anyone know in what year Disneyland converted to the pay once at the front gate approach instead of the ticket approach?

Mom said that after all the planning I've put in for our "first" trip to Disney World (technically we've been before, but it was soooo long ago that only Magic Kingdom was around at that point; my eight year old DD is a true first-timer though), she knew who should "inherit" these particular family mementos. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! And to make it even better, our 2 week trip starts in just a few days ....

Where to store these babies? In my "Disneyland USA" historical broadcast DVD from the Walt Disney Treasures series, of course. Have to admit that it took a while to figure out how to get the tin closed afterwards, though. :fez:

Merry Christmas!

Infinitely
12-30-2007, 02:15 PM
Oh how wonderfully, wonderful!

Are you going to have them put together and framed?

I have no idea when they changed from tickets to all-day pay.

Are your two weeks at Disneyland or Disney World?

Tink Lover
12-30-2007, 03:31 PM
Thanks Infinitely! Hadn't thought about having them framed, my first thought was that I didn't want to rip any more tickets out of the little booklets, but I suppose I could pull a few out. In fact, I went a little "pin-trading" crazy a few years ago, I think I have little "ticket pins" too, that could make a cool arrangement. Thanks for the idea :)

Our trip is at Disney World this time. I pretty much know Disneyland like the back of my hand, but nothing about DW except for the planning done for the trip. Spending one night at POFQ, a bit over a week at Shades of Green (Dad is retired military), one night at AKL (so we can do the Sunrise Safari the next morning, I'm so pysched we got the tix!) and then some time at a time-share with my cousin and his kids. Our flight takes off at 8:00 am on Jan 2, can't wait!

TTFN92
12-30-2007, 06:17 PM
What a fun gift! I hope you have fun at WDW. It definitely takes a lot of planning to go there but it sure is fun :D. You should be able to get everything done in 2 wks. We went for 9 days and did a lot but not everything we wanted. Did you do the dining plan? It allowed us to eat at so many restaurants that we never would have been able to.

Congrats again on the gift!

yohomama212
12-30-2007, 08:15 PM
My Mom recently found an old jewelry box (a treasure in and of itself as it was a gift from her uncle when he returned from Vietnam) and inside were some old admission tickets and ride tickets! I remember seeing them as a little girl, but now they actually mean something.

A few weeks ago our pastor made a reference to "E-tickets" during a sermon and asked if anyone knew what he was talking about, several people raised their hands, including myself. He looked me square in the eye and said, "You're too young to know what I'm talking about." Then someone from the back of the church yelled out, "She's a Disney fan!" I guess I've earned a bit of a reputation! :eek:

What a wonderful gift to receive!

Elizabeth

Tink Lover
12-31-2007, 11:39 AM
Did you do the dining plan? It allowed us to eat at so many restaurants that we never would have been able to.

We're staying at SOG for most of the stay, which gives us a really good deal on hotel and tickets, but the dining plan wasn't an option. So we'll probably spend the money we saved on restaurants instead, lol.

Thank you for your kind wishes, I'm sure we'll have a great time, after all WE'RE GOING TO DISNEY WORLD! Woo-hoo. :fez:

Tink Lover
12-31-2007, 11:49 AM
A few weeks ago our pastor made a reference to "E-tickets" during a sermon and asked if anyone knew what he was talking about ...

It's pretty cool to know the true meaning of an "E-ticket ride". On the other extreme, a few months ago my family came to know the true meaning of "nit-picking" - a fate I hope you never share. :eek:

Meisha B
12-31-2007, 11:55 AM
Enjoy your trip! I am so excited for mine! Are the dining plans only if you are staying at one of the resort hotels or are they for anyone?

yohomama212
12-31-2007, 04:12 PM
On the other extreme, a few months ago my family came to know the true meaning of "nit-picking" - a fate I hope you never share. :eek:

Nope, I know that one too. My Mom is a preschool teacher and I did some volunteer work there one fateful spring! I hope you're all past the nit picking phase! Anyone want to try me on "dork" or "twit"?

Elizabeth

Tink Lover
12-31-2007, 05:49 PM
I was at a conference years ago where Scott Adams, aka Dilbert's creator, was the keynote speaker. During his talk, he shared a set of comic strips that he was never allowed to publish. They were hysterical. But the one that cracked me up the most featured the "dog" sitting at a desk, looking very managerial while he reviewed the letters to the editor:

In the first square he says something like, "It's been brought to our attention that some recent strips have offended a segment of our audience".

In the second square we "see" an irate letter: "Dear editors, I'll have you know that I proudly belong to the Dork family. Ours is a long and glorious history of which you are obviously ignorant and unaware. You should be ashamed of allowing Mr. Adams ongoing use of the word dork in such an irreverent and condescending manner. I will always be proud of my family's name, and I encourage you to take swift and appropriate action on this matter. Irately yours, John Dork".

Scott's timing was perfect when he showed us the last square. The dog has taken off his glasses and is "looking" straight at us when he says,
"To all the dorks out there, we sincerely apologize".

I'm sure I can't tell it as well as Scott drew it in the strip, but everyone just couldn't stop laughing.

Yes, the nits are all gone and all their mommies and daddies too, thank you God, thank you God, thank you God! BTW, I didn't mention it before but I think your story of finding classic DL tickets in a lost jewelry box is so very cool. That must have been a wonderful moment :)

AVP
01-03-2008, 05:54 PM
During his talk, he shared a set of comic strips that he was never allowed to publish. I have the "Dork" strip in one of my Dilbert books, so he did publish it. I like that one, along with the "Ant Farm" strip.

AVP