PDA

View Full Version : Halloween

The Photographer
08-13-2002, 08:08 AM
My friends and I are thinking ahead to Halloween. This will be the first time we spend the holiday at Disneyland and have a few questions?

Should we take the entire day off from work to go?

Can adults walk around in costumes other than Disney characters?

Does the park plan anything extra?

THANKS!

Lani
08-13-2002, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by The Photographer
Can adults walk around in costumes other than Disney characters?No. The park is extremely strict about this policy because (I assume) they do not want young children confusing costumed guests with their actual characters. While some parks simply prohibit the wearing of masks, I believe Disneyland prohibits adult Halloween costumes altogether.

RStar
08-14-2002, 09:40 AM
DL use to have a special event called "Mickeys Holloween Treat" that lasted, I belive, 3 years and was cancelled. (WDW has the "Not So Scary Holloween"). It was a special ticketed event that started after park closing and kids and parents were allowed to wear costumes, and they had "Treat Stops" and a map to follow to get candy and prizes for trick-or-treat.

I think you will find next to nothing going on that day any different from any other day. They will have the "Fall" decorations up, and perhaps cookie decorating as well as the Holloween merchandise that you can already buy now.

I fear you may be dissapointed going on that day unless you simply want to go in the evening to avoid Trick-Or-Treating altogether.

innerSpaceman
08-14-2002, 11:09 AM
Mickey's Halloween Treat was da bomb, and I can't believe they stopped this fantasic event.

While costumes are not allowed in Disneyland, I don't think they can stop you from wearing an adult costume which they now sell on Main Street. (In fact, I saw an unauthorized Tigger walking down Main Street last weekend).

RStar
08-14-2002, 12:19 PM
I bet they were asked to take it off. I think they take it seriously, but then without the mask it is not as much a problem, and they never sold the adult sizes before, so who knows.

Rallymonkey23
08-14-2002, 01:05 PM
I for one would be pretty upset if I paid $50-60 on a costume and could not wear it in the parks after I bought it. I wonder what they would say to that? Can they actually deny you wearing a costume you just bought in their store, in their park? The point I am trying to make here is this....... If you bought a t-shirt in the park, you could go to the restroom and put it on. Why not a costume that you bought there??? Did I confuse everyone???

Traci
08-14-2002, 01:09 PM
I went to DL last year dressed as Sally on Halloween, of course I hid my costume under my long trench coat cause I was already warned ahead of time that I would be kicked out if I was wearing a costume at DL.

I too loved Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween parties at DL! I went dressed as a nun once, and since I am a smoker, I sure got a lot of grief for that. But I will tell you, it's sure a great opportunity for the adult Disney fan's to show off their talent with the amount of hand made Disney costumes I saw that year!

justagrrl
08-14-2002, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Traci
I sure got a lot of grief for that.

My husband's decided he loves to dress up as Santa on Halloween (to pass out candy - not to go to dland). :rolleyes: It always gets an interesting reaction. Good or Bad? I'm not sure. ;)

Traci
08-14-2002, 01:25 PM
I think that's totally cool. I wanted to do that one year, but girls don't make as good as Santa's as guys do.

The Photographer
08-14-2002, 11:07 PM
Thanks guys and gals. I think I'll wait a few weeks and call them or just ask at Guest Services. I've asked a few Cast Members and they weren't sure about the costumes.

cstephens
08-15-2002, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Rallymonkey23
I for one would be pretty upset if I paid $50-60 on a costume and could not wear it in the parks after I bought it. I wonder what they would say to that? Can they actually deny you wearing a costume you just bought in their store, in their park? The point I am trying to make here is this....... If you bought a t-shirt in the park, you could go to the restroom and put it on. Why not a costume that you bought there??? Did I confuse everyone???

I don't see why they wouldn't be able to prohibit someone from wearing a costume at the park, even though they're being sold there. If someone bought a costume not knowing they couldn't wear it at the park, DL could just give them a refund. As for the t-shirt question, the big difference is that t-shirts are not prohibited from being worn at the park. Adults in costumes are.

Rallymonkey23
08-15-2002, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by cstephens

I don't see why they wouldn't be able to prohibit someone from wearing a costume at the park, even though they're being sold there. If someone bought a costume not knowing they couldn't wear it at the park, DL could just give them a refund. As for the t-shirt question, the big difference is that t-shirts are not prohibited from being worn at the park. Adults in costumes are.

But don't you think that is kinda misleading the public?
They are selling the costumes in the park so why not let the public wear what they just bought (just like t-shirts). I say to sell the costumes outside the parks so that there is no confusion in this matter.

innerSpaceman
08-15-2002, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by Rallymonkey23
But don't you think that is kinda misleading the public?
Exactly.

Selling something in the park directly implies that such item is permitted in the park (after all, there IT IS, in the park).

They used to sell cigarettes when you were allowed to smoke anywhere. They never wanted you to chew gum, so gum was never sold. Having something for sale inside Disneyland makes its own statement that the item is usable inside Disneyland.

mad4mky
08-15-2002, 08:28 AM
We went a few years ago on Halloween. My daughter's teenage friend wore "fairy wings" to the park in the evening. She was asked to take them off before entering the park. They told her adults in costumes were prohibited. Even fairy wings.

There were many children in costumes though (my middle child was dressed as a pirate).

Not Afraid
08-15-2002, 09:09 AM
Since they've started selling the costumes this year, I've seen several teenagers/adults wearing them in the park. For example: Tigger was walking down main street, and The Evil Queen and Snow were riding IaSW. I saw this last pair several times throughout the day so I don't believe they were ever prohibited from wearing the costumes. I'm not sure about Tigger, but boy did he look hot (as in very, very warm).

cstephens
08-15-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
Selling something in the park directly implies that such item is permitted in the park (after all, there IT IS, in the park).

Hmmmm, while I understand the point being made, my devil's advocate response would be that they also sell lingerie/sleep clothes in the park, but I don't know how keen they'd be on someone wandering the park dressed only in that.

I completely understand why they wouldn't want adults to be dressed in costume at the park, and that's the whole confusing their characters for customers' costumes thing. I'm sure they wouldn't want kids to be confused about a billion Mickeys or Minnies or Tiggers or Princess this-or-that-tiara wandering around. And if they just said no Disney-related costumes, there's probably gray areas there as well.

With the kids' costumes, it's not a problem.