PDA

View Full Version : How do I get from one hotel to the other?

awinner
08-12-2002, 11:43 PM
i am taking my mom the the park this weekend...she will rent one of those scooters, because she just had her hip replaced not too long ago...so she can't walk that far. is there a way (a shuttle or something) to take her from GC to PP hotel. or is there another alternative from the tram area? we are doing that mary poppins tea, so i figured we would be at DCA in the am and head over to PPH for 12:30 tea. i know they wont let you take the scooters out of the park itself...so what do people do...i can't imagine that the only way to get there is to walk and vice versa after tea, to get back to the parks...and no she does not own her own wheelchair.thanks for the help.

MouseWife
08-12-2002, 11:50 PM
I can't say I have much experience in this field, what so ever, but.....

I would call ahead to the wheelchair department and see what they can do to help you.

If they can't help you {and I mean talk to a department manager if possible} they you can always rent a non-electric wheelchair for just the weekend, right? Just use it on the outside of the park and then if you want to rent an electric one inside, do that.

You can probably call a medical equipment place and see what they can do for you. I don't know if you want to rent an electric one as I can't imagine how you would transport it.

How nice of you to take her!! And how brave of her to do it!!

Good luck!

Darkbeer
08-13-2002, 12:28 AM
It is surprising, but the Disney hotels do NOT offer tram service, even though the walk from the PPH to the Main Entry Plaza is about a half-mile. They do offer the Monorail, and that does cut the walk to about a 1/4 mile between the DtD station and the PPH. I am shocked that Disney does not offer the tram service.

Part of the problem is that they would be required to use city streets, and therefore would have to use vehicles (more than likely a bus) that is licensed for the streets (The parking lot trams remain on private property, and have little to no regulation).

The Disney CM/employee trams are run under contract with Super Shuttle, and are licensed busses with properly licensed drivers, that travel between the park and the employee parking lots, like the one on Katella.

I am also surprised that Disney did not join the ART system....

You would think with all the other NON-Disney hotels (many closer to the main entry plaza than the PPH) that offer tram/bus service, that Disney doesn't.

They could have a route that starts at the Lion King Loading area, then goes down Harbor Bl, makes a right onto Katella, then a right at Disneyland Dr. The Tram could have two or three stops, the first stop could be the GCH, as the bus pulls into the Valet area, loads/unloads, then goes across the street, and then pulls into the Wedding Pavillion Parking Lot next to the DLH Bonita tower, and could suffice as a load/unload for both hotels, but the bus could just as easily also pull into the PPH valet area, and another load/unload. Then the bus could retrace its route back to the Lion King tram area.

If they agreed to be part of the ART (Anaheim Resort Transit) hotel system, the busses would only stop on the street, but still would be a lot closer of a walk than the current hike from the Main Entry Plaza.

But why offer guests additional services, even though they are paying a premium to stay on property. Heck, Cedar Point this year offered "early entry" for the first time, and their hotel revenue is up over 10%.... It takes more than just placing the "Disney" name on a hotel to make people want to stay there.....

Nigel2
08-13-2002, 12:35 AM
I am surprised that they don't still have that golf cart style tram for the hotels. Too bad they don't have something like that to travel up and down the path of DTD to take guests back to their disney hotels. Kind of like what an airport would have.

tredla
08-13-2002, 01:20 AM
sence you are staying at a resort hotel i would suggest contacting them to make arangements to use a wheelchair between the theam parks and your hotel. Disney takes disability's pritty serious so i'm sure they would be willing to help you can contact the resorts disability services when you arive. my best suggestion is to conntact the hotel as they will be able to help in ways the park cannot.

honeymom
08-13-2002, 03:22 AM
I also think that you should contact the hotel. While tram service might not be a regular thing, perhaps they would arrange special transport in a golfcart (surely they must get around themselves with one) for a person with a disability. After all, airports do that all the time, why not Disney? Anyway, it never hurts to make a call to the hotel manager to ask for advice.

tjrj
08-13-2002, 08:42 AM
I can testify to the fact that you can use a wheelchair from one of the DL hotels the entire length of your stay-in the parks, at the hotel, DD, you can probably take it off site-but I haven't tried that. When you get to your hotel, just ask the valet for a wheelchair. They have you give your name and attach a wheelchair card to your reservation at the front desk. You can then use the wheelchair everywhere within the resort. The wheelchairs at the park are blue I think. The wheelchairs from the GC are green and I think the DL ones are black. That way the CM's know that you can take the wheelchair out the front gates. And the trams are all wheelchair accessible so you can use those too if you need to.

Oh, you don't pay for the wheelchair either-so that saves you some money. Those scooters get expensive when rented on a daily basis. You may want to check into possible savings when renting from a mobility based company. Believe they will come to the resort and drop off and pick up.

adriennek
08-13-2002, 08:50 AM
There actually is a bus that was designed to transfer HCA needs guests from one hotel to the other. Or at least there was. When my friends gave me a baby shower at the PP Hotel, we had one guest in a wheelchair and many gifts to transfer to our car in the parking lot. Concierge assured us we could wait for the van.

2 hours+ later we were still waiting. The van was, apparently, in the shop, and it took them a really long time to figure it out and they kept putting us off, telling us to hold on it was almost here, etc. With me being really pregnant and our friend in his chair, we were anxious to believe them.

I would contact the front desks of the two hotels to find out what they suggest.

Adrienne K

MouseWife
08-13-2002, 08:51 AM
I don't think they are staying at a hotel.

They live nearby. I think they are just going to show the Mom a good time.

The tea is supposed to be beautifully done as well as ending soon.

Good luck, awinner!

awinner
08-13-2002, 09:30 AM
mousewife...you would be correct. we are only going for the day. It will be one of those open to close kind of days. So maybe I can walk from dca through the hotel, speak to some one at the bell desk, hand them $5 or something, see if they will lend me a wheelchair, for 2 hours. My mother can walk...its just that 1/4 mile (1/2 mile round trip) she will start to have problems...I have seen those golf carts, but i am not sure if they allow tranfer of guests on them...I think i will call one of the hotels and see what they suggest.

MouseWife
08-13-2002, 09:39 AM
About the golf carts.

When we were staying at the Paradise Pier, they did tell us that we could be transported with them. We didn't do it, but they said it {at the front desk}.

Now, I don't know if they will do it if you aren't a hotel guest. You could ask. I mean, you will be guests at the park and at the tea.

I am sure you'll be cutting distance off for her by dropping her off directly in front in the morning and picking her up at the end? Hopefully they will allow for you to wheel her out to a seat where she can wait for you to turn in the chair and get the car.

If someone were really nice they could let her sit in the chair until you come with the car and then take it back for you.

Again, I give you a lot of credit for doing this. And her, too. She must be awfully spunky. ;)

MammaSilva
08-13-2002, 09:39 AM
awinner, you also might consider calling one of the medical rental places that you could rent a chair from for the day, pick it up and bring it with you that way you can do whatever you want thru the resort and not worry about 'if' you can borrow one, they aren't very expensive to rent.....

awinner
08-13-2002, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by MouseWife
She must be awfully spunky. ;)

she is only 57 (she would kill me for giving out her age), she goes on all the rides...i am going to try a sucker her to get on the maliboomer, but i doubt that will happen. I will have my wife there, so she will be able to help me out if needed.

MouseWife
08-13-2002, 10:57 AM
Yep, she is young. My mother in law has had one hip replaced and she was about that age, I believe.

Sadly, she has chosen not to do quite so much.

She is very happy that we got her to join us on a trip to all of the major theme parks here in S. Ca. about 7 years ago. We kept her for about a week. Flex passes to Disneyland, went to Knott's, Magic Mountain, Universal. Then down the coast to see the beaches.

It was great. I only wish she would be open to more.