PDA

View Full Version : GCH vs DLH - in need of some advice :)

newbee
08-12-2002, 07:38 PM
Hi everyone...been enjoying reading through the forum and am now in need of some urgent advice :)

We will be in Disneyland Sept 3-7, 2002. This will be our first visit to Disneyland for me (5 months pregnant), my husband, and our 2-1/2 year old daughter. (OK - I must be crazy right!)

We are just having an awful time deciding on which resort hotel to stay at. My husband is an architect so naturally he thinks we should stay at GCH. However, it seems that DLH is more kid friendly (our daugher loves exploring and swimming!) Also, is it really worth it (given our situation) to splurge for concierge level at either resort?

Any advice and practical tips in general are very much appreciated!

newbee in Disneyland :)

lisap
08-12-2002, 07:57 PM
WOW!! First time visit! I'm so excited for you. You will have the time of your lives no matter which hotel you choose.

Everyone has their favorite hotel and reasons why. I've stayed at all three with kids under five-but not at the DLH since the swimming pool was redone.

My favorite hotel is the Grand Californian for a few reasons:
--It's very close to both park entrances...good for tired children and mommies-to-be
--The pool area is very nice (not as fantastic as the DLH, but pretty cool)
--The ambiance is tops. Both you and your hubby will LOVE it.

That said--if you find a great rate at the DLH--and money is an issue--I would think about taking it. The monorail is pretty close by the hotel and will take you right into Disneyland. The GC is pretty pricey unless you can find a special. We have never stayed concierge at either hotel--I'm sure someone can address that around here.

Good luck with your choice--enjoy your visit with just one little chitlin' in tow. It only gets more complicated :D

SueKruse
08-12-2002, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by newbee
Hi everyone...been enjoying reading through the forum and am now in need of some urgent advice :)

We will be in Disneyland Sept 3-7, 2002. This will be our first visit to Disneyland for me (5 months pregnant), my husband, and our 2-1/2 year old daughter. (OK - I must be crazy right!)

We are just having an awful time deciding on which resort hotel to stay at. My husband is an architect so naturally he thinks we should stay at GCH. However, it seems that DLH is more kid friendly (our daugher loves exploring and swimming!) Also, is it really worth it (given our situation) to splurge for concierge level at either resort?

Any advice and practical tips in general are very much appreciated!

newbee in Disneyland :)

I like the GCH better. It's sooo gorgeous. And while the pool at DLH would delight any kid (pirateship theme, don't you know), the pool at the GCH has a pretty nifty water slide that seems constantly enjoyed by kids. There's also a "spitting turtle" in one of the pools. The gates to the pool are covered with creatures that are fun to look at and the view, looking toward the Paradise Pier area of DCA at night, is positively mesmerizing. You can sit on a lovely outdoor patio in comfy chairs around a fireplace and watch the Sunwheel's light display forever. The GCH also has storytelling in the inglenook area (fireplace) and some kiddy-sized chairs clustered around a big tv in a quiet corner (specifically for kids) near the check-in desk. There's also a kids club that only guests of the GCH can use (I believe it requires a fee though). Adrienne Krock wrote an article in her parenting column about the club that may be of use to you. At any rate, the kids I see around the hotel always look like they're having a grand time.

The GCH always makes me feel as if I am somewhere in Yosemite. I love the tranquility it provides even though it's a step away from a huge resort. The concierge lounge is very nice, has tasty treats for kids large and small (yummy cookies), and a private balcony where you can watch the Believe! fireworks show complete with the music piped in (you get a very nice view of the show too).

I'm not sure if they still have this available, but last time I was there the maids had little extras they left in the room when we inquired, like a large, round, tin of sunflower seeds and little sewing kits in neat little tins. We planted the sunflowers this past May and they are most gorgeous things you've ever seen! Well over 9 feet tall and the talk of the neighborhood, they're referred to as the Disneyland Sunflowers.

There's a really nice snack place that has lots of kid friendly food (White Water Snacks) that I like infintely better than any snack-type place at the DLH and there's a Character breakfast at Storyteller's every morning.

I think your daughter would find plenty to do at the GCH and your architect husband will be in heaven.

honeymom
08-13-2002, 02:31 AM
2 1/2 year olds aren't actually that picky about where they stay (they get pickier when they are older). Stay where you want to.

We are going with a 3 1/2 year old and 6 year old and picked DLH. Felt there was more magic - pixie dust walls, Neverland Pool. Riding monorail to the park. Have also read that the rooms are larger at DLH vs. GC even though GC is more money.

tjrj
08-13-2002, 07:28 AM
Ah, decisions, decisions....as you can see by the above, there are +'s and -'s to each resort. And as honeymom mentions-2 1/2 year olds aren't necessarily picky about where they stay. We've stayed at both-loved both. The ease of exit/entrance at the GC; the more "pixie dust" atmosphere of the DL. If you and hubby are thinking of taking some "couple time"(and why not, it's your vacation too!) I can highly recommend the Pinnochio's Workshop at the GC. It's open only to hotel guests, so that might be a deciding factor. And now, while there are just 3 of you, the smaller rooms at the GC(vs. DL) might not be a concern. She'll like the bunk beds too probably. Email me if you wish, to get more details on the childcare.

That said, don't think you'll be disappointed where ever you stay...they are both great. And...they aren't going anywhere, you can always stay somewhere else next time! Look for deals on expedia and at mousesavers-don't think either one is worth what Disney charges on a "rack rate"(but that's just me!)

newbee
08-13-2002, 10:45 AM
Thanks everyone for your excellent (and fast) response! We've decided to go with the Grand Californian. I know we'll enjoy the extra "adult" perks and we can always spend time swimming and exploring the DHL.

I have a few more questions regarding the GCH that neither the Disney line or my web searching has been able to locate.

1) Do all rooms at CGH offer a little balcony that my husband and I can retreat to when our daughter crashes for her naps/early bedtime? (Disney reservations said no rooms had balconies, yet the posts that I've read clearly indicate so. Perhaps only conceirge level?)

2) What is the room configuration of a suite? I couldn't believe that the disney website nor their reservation line could give me any detailed information.

3) What's the best view - taking into consideration any latenight noise that may keep us up.

4) I've read such conflicting information about the level of service on the concierge levels that I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's been there recently.

Thanks again everyone...we are all really looking forward to this trip!

MouseWife
08-13-2002, 10:58 AM
I stayed in a standard room.

It had a balcony, very small but still nice. Over looked a garden area. The monorail went through. Great opportunity {which I took} to wave at people and make rabbit ears behind the other people on the balcony. :p

The room was standard.

Now, getting a room near an elevator, that is an issue!!! I had asked for one when I checked in early but when I went back later they gave me a different room. Waaayyy back. I mean long long corridors.

I think you will be using a stroller so the stairs are no option. Make sure they give you a room next to the elevators. Where ever in the hotel they put you. I only know of one set of elevators, off of the main lobby.

Perhaps someone else knows of another?

You definitely want close. Insist upon it!!

Oh, as far as noise goes. Our room being right next to where the monorail passed, was not affected by the noise. With the door closed, that is. The windows and doors seem pretty noise reducing. To me, maybe someone else has something else to say about that?

dasrock
08-16-2002, 01:10 AM
Stayed at the Grand last July, missing it.
We had the standard room with the downtown disney view. Balcony was great to relax after a hard day of fun. When the kids we asleep, the adults can have a time out :p
Also you get a great view of the fireworks!:) Only issue with this view is the music. downtown plays music late at night. If you close your balcony door it won't bother you much. I left ours open, really enjoyed the atmosphere. going back in december!
Have a great time!

roberts1398
08-16-2002, 01:22 AM
Only problem with the view of the fireworks is that there won't be any fireworks while you're there... they stop 9/1! :(

Are you AP holders? How long are you going for? Might you go again in the next year? I'm thinking Super Sunday rates ... that week should be pretty quiet, and if one of you gets an AP, you might be able to get a spectacular rate ... if not, try checking Expedia.com and Travelocity.com about 2 weeks before your departure, and keep checking up until the point you can't cancel your reservations ... you may well get a steal there, although less likely with GC than with DLH, as I've noticed less GC rooms there...