PDA

View Full Version : 1 Day Park Hopper

Pages : [1] 2

rexfarms
08-10-2002, 05:38 PM
Will I be able to get a 1 Day Park Hopper for DL and DCA tomorrow(Sunday the 11th)?

Darkbeer
08-10-2002, 07:41 PM
I think the current price is $64, you might want to look into the two-day ParkHopper for SoCal's, I think it is $79, the second day needs to be used by Labor Day.

Another option is to buy a SoCal AP for $99, that will allow you to enter both parks on the date of purchase, plus allow you to return on any-non blackout date for an entire "fiscal" year (365 days).

rexfarms
08-10-2002, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Darkbeer
I think the current price is $64, you might want to look into the two-day ParkHopper for SoCal's, I think it is $79, the second day needs to be used by Labor Day.

Another option is to buy a SoCal AP for $99, that will allow you to enter both parks on the date of purchase, plus allow you to return on any-non blackout date for an entire "fiscal" year (365 days).
I'm actually a Premium AP and asking for my friend. Didnt it used to be $59? Whats going on here? lol

MonorailMan
08-10-2002, 08:24 PM
Al Said:
Things seem to be getting worse. Yesterday the Disneyland Resort started selling one day park hoppers - $59 for adults / $49 for children. There is no limit to the number of hoppers one can purchase, but they have to be used on the same day. And get this, anyone can buy them, not just Southern California residents

More info here. (http://www.mouseplanet.com/archive/update45.htm#Jul16)

sydney
08-11-2002, 01:03 AM
yes, the 1-day hopper *was* $59, but it is now $64. Anyone want to speculate on the reasons for this little change in price? I would assume they are more popular than expected and they feel that they can raise the price without compromising the intended attendance increase. who knows, though, with disney these days.

That two day parkhopper for so cal peoples (which I believe is still 79) looks like the best deal going. tell your friend you want to hang with them at the parks two days this summer instead of one ;)

coronamouseman
08-11-2002, 04:32 AM
When did the price go up?

Did Disney ever make a public annoucement?

Sorry to see Disney resorting to the old Universal "call us today for today's special price" mentality .........

Guess I'd better keep an eye on the SoCal AP site and make sure that they haven't added any blockout dates next time I'm thinking of going (late August last time I looked)

What's next, "variable" pricing like you pay on the 91 Express Lanes? Higher rates during rush hour(s), lower rates during non-peak hours or discounts for multiple passengers (guests in this case)?

tabacco
08-11-2002, 07:42 AM
All prices are subject to change without notice. Always have been, always will.

coronamouseman
08-11-2002, 08:16 AM
tabacco: You are right about that policy always being in effect.

However, there is a certain credibility that a company like Disney must maintain and announcing a $59 park hopper ticket one month and then raising the price without much (if any) annoucement the next month puts them in the league of car dealers, fitness spas and Las Vegas resorts in terms of shady pricing .........

All of these recent price moves and changes have made Disney look no better than Universal or Knott's with all of their extended and/or coupon specials - no wonder some ticketing/marketing people were sacked, apparently only to be replaced by others with no concern for the brand name of Disney .........

coronamouseman
08-11-2002, 08:38 AM
tobacco: I just took a look at the DLR website to get the straight answer on the prices and of course ............

No discussion at all about any of the SoCal Discounts!

No mention of SoCal 1-day park hopper at all
No mention of SoCal buy one adult get one kid free deal

Just one more example of how a company lets things go and gives an indication that they don't care about their customers

At least Universal puts all ticket information on the website in a timely manner!

JeffG
08-11-2002, 09:09 AM
As far as I know, the 1-day park hopper has never been announced at all. Instead, it has been something only offered to those that ask about one or already know that it is available. Last time I looked, it wasn't even listed on the price board above the ticket booths.

Under those circumstances, I think they can pretty easily get away with raising or lowering the prices, or even deciding not to offer the tickets at all, whenever they want and with little or no notice...

-Jeff

tabacco
08-11-2002, 02:48 PM
Firstly, the 1 day hopper is NOT a socal deal, it's open to anyone.

Socal and other special offers available at the gate are almost never on the website, so that they can alter/cancel them as neccesary. Socal deals especially, because it doesn't do to have out of area visitors knowing that they *could* have gotten a discount. That sort of thing brings in lots of angry guests to the booths.

sydney
08-11-2002, 04:59 PM
another detail about the 1-day hopper tickets that should be remembered--- they *must* be used on the day purchased (i.e., you buy it at the park and use it that same day). The resident 2-day hopper has to be used up by sept 3rd.

I believe someone on these boards called them "invisible tickets" or something like that, meaning that you have to show up, wait in line, and specifically ask about them to get them. So no, they're not posted anywhere. the plus side of this is that if you're reading this message, you know about them, so you can benefit. if you're not reading this (a very unlikely possibility at the moment), then you don't know about them, and more than likely won't know what your missing when you show up at the gate to buy regular tickets. ;)

A small consolation, but that's my thoughts.

tabacco
08-11-2002, 07:03 PM
Specifically ask? We do our best to tell everyone we can about them.

sydney
08-12-2002, 01:50 AM
yes, sorry about that, the ticket booth people were very friendly with our group when we showed up to show a bunch of non-passholders what it's like to be a parkhopper for a day. they saw us coming and the first words out of the woman's mouth were "I bet you're here for 1 day park hoppers, aren't you?" It put smiles on our faces to start off the day.

and I think she had a little laminated sheet inside the window that explained the ticket as well.

coronamouseman
08-12-2002, 06:08 AM
To me, in this day of instantaneous information, this policy of "invisible tickets" makes no sense at all. If you are going to offer locals discounts, then why make them a secret? You are defeating the very purpose of providing the discount if you don't let those locals know that it is available.

Yes, Disney could say that since these are "limited time" discounts that they don't want to have them printed or listed somewhere because if the discounts are discontinued then some guests might be upset. But Disney could post them on their website where, if things changed, the site could easily be changed as well. Again, why offer a discount to locals but keep it a complete secret? Do CM ticketers simply ask each guest if they are SoCal residents and then present the options?

Yes, one could say that it makes it easier for non-SoCal guests and CMs because then out-of-town guests won't try to convince the ticketing CMs that they are locals or ticketing CMs won't have to explain why locals get better prices ("well, since you came all the way from Nebraska, we figured you would pay more since you don't have a Disney park in Omaha").

But somewhere in the back of my mind I find a certain similarity to this kind of pricing policy with those kind of businesses where services are contracted or negotiated and it just seems like this should not be something that one has to do just to go to a theme park.

socabch
08-12-2002, 08:18 AM
yes, the 1-day hopper *was* $59, but it is now $64

I went yesterday and my daughter brought a friend. When we bought the ticket, I asked about the price change and the CM was very nice and apologized for the sudden change. It's still a deal at $64. But I was kind of surprised that it changed so quickly. I even checked around the internet on Saturday to make sure the offer was still good and saw nothing about the increase. Oh well.... like I said, it's still a good deal.

tabacco,
I don't get to deal with the Cm's in the ticket booth much and I must say when I do, I get great service. You guys are the best.

sydney
08-15-2002, 12:35 AM
Hey everyone, sorry to bump a thread that's becoming old news quickly, but I need to vent. We have 8 houseguests from Spain that just arrived last night, and we'd been planning on spending the day at the parks friday with them, so the whole 1-day park hopper thing sounded great. but in considering the new price (64), the math kinda stinks--

a ticket to disneyland - 45
a ticket to DCA w/socal discount - 35
+______________________________
two days (one at each park) 75

so basically you save eleven bucks versus buying two days on the 1-day hopper. what *is* a great deal, however, is the 2-day so cal park hopper-- $79. basically four dollars more than two one day tickets and you can park hop. (and less than two one day tickets to disneyland :)) Unfortunately it looks like our friends will only have 1 day to spend at disneyland, so we are stuck with the 1 day thing. amazingly, (and mind you these people haven't been here in 10 years) all they want to do is go to DCA, because evidently disney has been talking it up in europe like crazy.

just some random thoughts... thanks for letting me vent. ;)

rexfarms
08-15-2002, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by sydney

That two day parkhopper for so cal peoples (which I believe is still 79) looks like the best deal going. tell your friend you want to hang with them at the parks two days this summer instead of one ;)

In fact they had such a good time they got Premium APs. I dont think I really wanted them to but its just another reason to go to Disneyland.

roberts1398
08-15-2002, 11:17 AM
Are you a CSAA (AAA) member? If you buy the ticket ahead of time at CSAA it's WAY cheaper (I wanna say $25, but I'm probably wrong.) Call them and ask. I was just looking at the list for a friend for SFMarine World tickets, and I know DLR was there too. Also, do you know anyone who goes to a college/univ in SoCal? They sell tickets there at drastically reduced prices.

Check out www.mousesavers.com for other suggestions...

roberts1398
08-15-2002, 11:22 AM
Oops. Spoke too soon. Just checked the CSAA website, and it's for 3 & 4 day adult park hoppers at the kid price. Doesn't help you.

I'd look at the college route. And I'm guessing you don't even need to know anyone, but you can probably just go yourself to the student union and buy them... you might call and check the college/univ closest to you and see what the deal is. The negative is it's not a park hopper, but only a one park ticket. So you'd have to choose...

sydney
08-16-2002, 12:01 AM
Great idea--- but having just graduated in may from the U of Redlands, I had already tried that route. the College tickets are indeed cheap-- but are blocked out for the summer. ;) leave it to disney to close *that* little loophole :)

In case anyone else wants to try this in the fall, generally the tickets are about 10 dollars under regular for DL, 20 under for DCA. Not bad, but usually they are both not valid on saturdays, and during school breaks. they're kinda the 1 day equivalent of a So Cal AP. :)

sydney
08-16-2002, 10:51 PM
Well, some frustrating news...
today we spent our day at the park as I told you all we would, but when we got there, well.... we discovered that those 1-day park hopper passes-- you know, those ones that were $59? The ones that are (were) $64? Well they aren't anymore:

1-Day park hoppers are now $69.

GRRRR. (I know, prices subject to change... but I don't have to love change in this direction.)

Sydney

PS-- This continually makes the resident 2-day hopper at $79 a better and better deal, but at the expense of those that only have one day to spend at the parks.

GRRR.. ARRRG. (insert frustrated noises here)

wonderful
08-16-2002, 11:27 PM
about that one day hopper...
The ticket is offered to Guests the day they arrive by the person at the Ticket booth... IF the Guest finds out about it later in their day, they can always stop by a ticket booth or (more likely) Guest Relations (City Hall) and upgrade. The price has NEVER been announced because it is in a test and adjust phase...
I can only guess that the price increase indicates that it must be proving to be a popular option. I don't think it reflects "shadey" pricing... and I'm one to call a spade a spade... as much as it reflects that Disney actually listened to Guests who wanted a one day hopping option. I personally hope the option becomes something permanent, but that remains to be seen.

tabacco
08-16-2002, 11:37 PM
Argh. It's a good thing I won't be selling any tickets for the rest of the summer thanks to scheduling :)

You can find me and say hi at Fantasmic, though :)

sydney
08-17-2002, 12:13 AM
wonderful-- I just hope it becomes permanent at one of the lower "tested and adjusted" prices. ;)