PDA

View Full Version : Candy Cane Inn

Zina
08-10-2002, 03:11 PM
Hey guys...anyone stayed at The Candy Cane Inn lately??? Are there any especially nice rooms. I have requested a room with garden view and away from the pool to ensure peace and quiet at night when we all want to rest. But, a room number would be great. What has been your experience at this hotel? This is our first trip to DL and we are bringing our 3 year old...I want it to be special. We will try and get special rates for a DLR hotel through travelocity or expedia about 2 weeks before we plan to go but if not everyone says this is the place to stay. We need to stick o a budget of $99 or less per night. I love that they have a fridge AND a nice continental breakfast. What do you think???

disguy
08-11-2002, 09:26 AM
I stayed there years ago. The gardens were great, rooms were O.K I especially did not like the location as I wanted something much closer to the main gate.

Right now I have reservations at the Desert Inn and suites. I got a 1 bed room suite with two queens and a seprate family room with tv,pull out couch microwave oven,fridge coffee maker and a whirlpool bath tub for $79.00 a night. I've also stayed at the Carousel Inn which was very nice both are right across the street from main enterence.

Gemini Cricket
08-11-2002, 09:38 AM
On 8/2/02, I stayed at the CCI. I would give them an average review. It was an okay room, with okay service but with a primo "within-walking-distance-to-DL" location.

However, I had a negative run-in with the General Manager there. My room got flooded early in the morning (5AM) of checkout. There was an inch of water covering everything. I called to complain and get another room, they opted to fix the problem instead. They spent the rest of my stay fixing the leak, rug and everything which meant they were in my room while I could have been asleep. It was very disappointing. I asked for another room, and they said 'Well, aren't you checking out soon?'
So, in the end I got a refund for the second night of my stay. Only after I got through speaking to the General Manager after I got back home. She said that I didn't seem to be too upset and 'didn't yell' or anything while they were taking my room apart so she didn't give me another room nor was suggesting giving my money back... I told her if she wanted someone to yell at her, I'd do so now. I did. I got my money back. I told her it was too bad that the only way to get any action out of her was to raise my voice. (As people who know me know, I never raise my voice.)
So, I'd say give it a try, but be forewarned if anything goes wrong while you're there, warm up them vocal chords. ;)

thekirk
08-11-2002, 01:09 PM
A 3 year old! Wow!!! You're brave!

I'm sure it will be very magical for you all.

I have not stayed at the Candy Cane Inn, but it is a little further from the front gates of the the parks than you might want. Desert Inn is great. We stayed there 2 trips ago (didn't stay there last time cause they didn't have the connecting rooms we wanted....or something....my mom made reservations) I say you should go with a hotel that is close as can be. If your 3 yo child is tired and cranky you're going to want to get to your hotel asap. I say go with the Desert Inn, or something very near it.

Hope you enjoy your trip!!

slaakker
08-11-2002, 08:07 PM
Personally, I love the CCInn.

The breakfast is much better than any I have had at other hotels in the area. We have stayed at the hotels across from the main gate but have found we prefer to take the shuttle. At the end of the day we are tired of walking and that walk from the main gate just seemed further every day. The rooms are nice and they have a kiddie pool for the little ones. They keep fresh towels by the pool so you don't have to steal one from your room.

I highly recomend this hotel. You will enjoy your stay. (As long as your room doesn't flood :D )

thekirk
08-11-2002, 08:35 PM
slaakker! Your view of the Candy Cane Inn has convinced me to stay there! Towels by the pool! Why that is outstanding. And a shuttle ride back to the hotel.....what a great way to soak up the end of your magical day at the resort. Forget walking across the street, Zina......I say go with slaakker's idea.

Now all you need to know is where to reserve a room (garden view...etc.)

Have a great trip!

thekirk
08-11-2002, 08:36 PM
By the way........What a stupid name for a hotel!? (Candy Cane Inn?!?!)

Zina
08-11-2002, 08:46 PM
Oh but see..."Candy Cane" evokes fond childhood memories of one of the greatest candies there is. It is perfect for Disneyland, don't you think? From the looks of the website CCI looks very nice. It seems to have a B&B appeal...lush landscaping goes a long way with us chicks. I have requested info from the Desert Inn though based on your input. I will check them out. As of now, I think I agree that the good old shuttle will be handy by rest time. I hope the garden view will come through too. Once we get there if they have a deluxe room with microwave we will probably upgrade. I dont want to be disappointed with our hotel choice, so I think based on reviews read (overall) that we'll be happiest at the CCI. Reviews can be found via trip adviser.com and travelocity.com. Once we go and check things out around DLR we may choose one of the hotels directly across for a future visit. Thanks for your input and keep it coming. I love to hear it all so that I can make and informed decision.

mrcoffee
08-11-2002, 10:23 PM
The name Candy Cane Inn was actually the style of the hotel.. I remember going in the 70's sometime (around '76, actually.. I was pretty young, but I remember the America parade at DL).. Big Candy Cane's sticking up, and stuff...

Then sometime in the 80's (?) they remodelled into what you see today..

Also, don't forget that they do have a AAA discount.. It's usually $10 a night, so that helps a little.. And it's the only place we stay when we visit from AZ.

Thomas

julia
08-12-2002, 11:27 AM
Hello!

The Candy Cane Inn is a classic Disneyland resort and people seem to like it well for a reasonably priced off-site option. Check out their official website at http://www.candycaneinn.net - they might have some good promotional rates for you and you can see pictures of the hotel. You might also consider the Anabella Hotel - it is a newer hotel property, a bit farther from the hustle and I have been hearing nice comments, too. They have a website at http://www.hotelanabella.com .

Have fun!

Best Regards,
Julia

roberts1398
08-12-2002, 04:15 PM
Hey Zina ... nice to see you over here, too ...

Re: the Anabella, one of the other Disney discussion boards has had a whole thread going on avoid the Anabella!

Also re: the name of Candy Cane Inn... I read that it opened on Christmas Day and that's where the name came from. Zina, if you stay here, your missions -- should you choose to accept it -- is to report back on the source of the name! LOL!

Zina
08-12-2002, 10:19 PM
Roberts1398-Oh man...dont get me thinking about Tom Cruise this late at night. Ha Ha Ha!!!I will do my best to find out where the name originated, okay? I do accept.

Yea, I remember seeing the topic elsewhere "Do not stay at the Anabella"? I guess there will always be someone at each hotel that has an "off" experience. You just have to decide what hotel has the least bad reviews and most good things said about them. And so far CCI has shown brighter than any other hotel outside of DLR.

Thanks for the input guys. I do appreciate it!!

kisroo
08-16-2002, 08:26 AM
A little late maybe, but I love the Candy Cane. We'd stay there every visit if we could (except this time for our honeymoon, it's Grand Californian all the way!).

The breakfast, the rates, the shuttle if you don't want to do the easy 10 minute walk to the front gate, the pool and hot tub under the gazebo, the fridge/microwave, the staff, the atmosphere....sigh.

With AAA rates, we've stayed there for $50/night off-season.
Our last visit, we took our 3 yr. old niece and she loved it. She loved walking by DCA every morning and night (cool lights).
Good luck!

AVP
08-16-2002, 08:33 AM
I have not stayed at the Anabella, but I have eaten MANY times at the Tangerine Grill at that hotel. The food there is wonderful. The hotel was recently remodeled, so perhaps things are different there too.

I'll play Sheila for a moment, and remind everyone to head over to our Wonderful Review System (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/find.cgi) to enter their reviews of the hotels being discussed!

[/Shiela Mode]

AVP

julia
08-16-2002, 09:53 AM
Hi!

We can certainly agree to disagree on the Anabella Hotel, OK? :-) That is totally fine with me.

Anyway, people have different preferences on hotels and on how much Disney magic they want to have - if you are a huge Disney enthusiast, the resort hotels are fabulous. For other people, they need a bit of a break, so places like the Candy Cane and the Anabella provide comfortable, affordable alternatives.

My husband works out of a field office in Fullerton for his Fortune 50 company, but he likes to stay at the Anabella because it is nicely priced, quiet, safe, clean and a place to crash for the night. He does not like to stay in sub-par hotels and he likes to be able to pop over to Disneyland for some fun in the evenings. So, it is the great place to crash when you need a reasonable price.

It is great that there are so many hotels for us to choose!

Best,
Julia

Mickeyslittlehelper
08-16-2002, 11:31 AM
Breaker Breaker....................Candycane?............. ..................Candycane?

lol:eek:

Sheila
08-16-2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Mickeyslittlehelper
Breaker Breaker....................Candycane?............. ..................Candycane?

lol:eek:

Fear not! If you go to the MP Review link here:

DLR Hotels - Walking Distance East (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/find.cgi?product-category=Disneyland%20Resort%20%2F%20Hotels%20%2F% 20Walking%20distance%20hotels%20east%20of%20the%20 park%2C%20near%20the%20main%20gate)

you can read more reviews on the Candy Cane Inn.

To all our readers: Gosh, I sure wish we had more reviews submitted for this hotel. Hint, hint, hint... :D

Sheila

AVP
08-16-2002, 12:11 PM
Hey Sheila, do you mean this link (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/display.cgi?product-sku=dlra_candycaneinn&find-lower-limit=1) which has two reviews of that hotel?

If readers added the three reviews from this thread, there would be FIVE reviews for this hotel. That would be awesome! :D

AVP
(Assistant review system cheerleader)

kisroo
08-16-2002, 01:22 PM
-If readers added the three reviews from this thread, there would be FIVE reviews for this hotel. That would be awesome!-

Mine's done as of today!!! I know it's a bit old, but hopefully helps!
Kisroo

peasy
08-17-2002, 12:35 PM
I have stayed at Candy Cane probably about 5 times over my lifetime. Though they did improve the rooms and the atmosphere when they renovated, when Disneyland moved the entrance the park down the street, it made Candy Cane much less desirable. Waiting for the shuttle, especially on busy days, or summertime is a drag. We have stayed at the Desert Inn and Suites 3 times, including our honeymoon and have nothing but great comments for this hotel. It is very cheap and it is the closest hotel to the entrance and the pool is indoors. The rooms are really great and the staff is always VERY courteous. Decent continental breakfast. I'm not sure if any of these hotels are real quiet, Candy Cane is a little more quiet than Desert Inn because it is a one story instead of a 3 story. Desert Inn is right next to Denny's and Tony Roma's though. Can't beat that! We are going back in October and are staying at the Disneyland HOtel for the first time,...yipee!