PDA

View Full Version : Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln is one of my favorite attractions now!!!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Disneyfreak
08-09-2002, 09:51 PM
Have you been on Great Moments with Mr.Lincoln lately? They completely changed the ride with new technology now. Its one of my favorites since they changed it. They give you these headphones that are really expensive and when I was entering the theater the Cm tells me that there are startling effects and I was suprised. When he starts the show these earphones are the best I have ever heard in surround sound! Its hard to explain but it feels like you are really there with Mr. Lincoln. He talks in your ear and it feels like you can feel his breath it is so cooooool. Go see it on your next visit!!!!!

Nigel2
08-09-2002, 10:08 PM
Oh, it's been that way for a good amount of time (I think at least a year). Yeah it's really nice, some don't like it though for some reason. Guess they don't like the realism they try to attain.

blusilva
08-09-2002, 10:43 PM
I think the technology is pretty cool; I'm just not so sure about the manic/depressive tone of the show. The audience is giggling one minute and asked to imagine their leg blown off in a war the next. It's not very consistant.

But the attraction sorely needed a new angle, and this gimmick is as good as any! Mr. Lincoln has been one of my special favorites since I was little (it was always one of my mother's favorites, so she'd make sure we hit every time we were there) and I'm glad that now more people seem to be aware of it and enjoying it.

disguy
08-09-2002, 11:04 PM
I have one word: LICE
wearing head phones freaks me out...I wonder how they resolve this issue !?!?!

AnimeNut
08-09-2002, 11:37 PM
I had no idea Honest Abe was such a creepy guy. Seriously, after you lose your leg, how many people out there get extremely uncomfortable when Mr. Lincoln seems to have his mouth practically pressed up against your left ear, begging you to "Liiiiiiiivvvvvve!!! You must... liiiiiiiiiivvvvvvve!!!!"

Nigel2
08-09-2002, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by disguy

I think they may do something like the prep for the GM VR show in Innoventions, a quick alcohol swab. But then again, who knows.

cstephens
08-10-2002, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by Nigel2
Oh, it's been that way for a good amount of time (I think at least a year).

The new version of the show debuted on July 17, 2001.

I'm one of those who really dislikes the new parlour tricks.

But I've recently discovered a new way to watch the show that makes me like it better. I watch the show without the headphones. They do broadcast Lincoln's speech at the end into the auditorium, and that's the only part I like, and I don't need headphones for that. I don't need someone trying to pretend to cut my hair or buzzing me with a fly or performing surgery on me.

EandCDad
08-10-2002, 06:31 AM
I liked the old show, but I like the new show. Its fun to watch my younger daughter (and other kids in the audience) look around when the fly comes buzzing. I like the mix of humor and the more serious aspects and the speech at the end is, of course, very good.

It doesn't seem like the re-do has helped pull people into the attraction, though. Has it been crowded during the summer?

blusilva
08-10-2002, 01:13 PM
I watch it sans headphones as well. I can pretty much still hear the narration and get a kick out of watching the audience reactions.

MonorailMan
08-11-2002, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by blusilva
I watch it sans headphones as well. I can pretty much still hear the narration and get a kick out of watching the audience reactions.

I'm going to try this the next time I go on WDSFGMWML.

justagrrl
08-12-2002, 07:38 AM

LOL - after going through that with my 2 kids when the older one was in Kindergarten I know where you're coming from. I hope we NEVER have to go through that nightmere again. I was all hip to going to see the show but now I think I'm going to be paranoid.

Wonder how odd I'd appear if I came with my own little alochol swab packets to wipe them off first.

hefferdude
08-12-2002, 09:35 AM
Wrote how much I enjoyed the Lincoln attraction with binaural
sound and AAM cleanup etc back in Feb 02 or so. Got some affirms:) and tooka few head shots:( too. As far as the comments on the down side of the dialog, I don't seem to remember that period of history as being all bright and cheery anyway. IMHO it attempts to momentarily reflect on the personal tragedy for the soldiers of the civil war

As for the head crawlers - think about the glasses during HISTW OR any ride where you have to put your head against a headrest. :eek: ...... ||||||.. |||..||||.||.....|||| scratch scratch

PS -
Me, I have a tendency to fret about keeping my hands clean
from all the hand holds / bars etc etc. Colds and flu. That sorta thing.

mousey_girl
08-12-2002, 10:15 AM
Do the headphones come with individual volumne controls? I have to wear a headset at work so my ears tend to be ultra sensitive to certain noises.

cstephens
08-12-2002, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by mousey_girl
Do the headphones come with individual volumne controls? I have to wear a headset at work so my ears tend to be ultra sensitive to certain noises.

They come with volume controls, but most of them are glued or whatever into a specific position. The only ones that have the volume control that works are those that have been broken from the glue.

mad4mky
08-12-2002, 11:18 AM

ME TOO buddy!! Although I do enjoy the show...every time I pick up those headphones...I comment to hubby dear...."whoa...what about head lice?!?"

:(

I REALLY worry about it....it is no fun getting rid of those little buggers!...I personally have not had them myself...but my kids have...ewww.....eww....

:eek:

Gemini Cricket
08-12-2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Disneyfreak
Have you been on Great Moments with Mr.Lincoln lately? They completely changed the ride with new technology now.
I miss the Joan Baez-like "Two Brothers" song. "All on a beautiful morning..." :D

I like/liked both versions of WDSFGMWML.

:)

Disneyfreak
08-12-2002, 01:24 PM
Some of you guys freak me out because of all those problems that are minor. IT IS NOT A BIG DEAL. I loved the fly in my ear and the haircut. I thought it was very well done. They did a nice fix up of Mr. Lincoln Hands down better than the old one in my opinion. The old one was boring. That is why I did not know about this upgrade until one day I just wanted to see it because I didnt visit it for years. To catch lice from those earphones is a very remote chance. If you dont like it get RID. Also on that comment on the volume control. I dont think you can adjust it because you need it at the volume that they preset.

mousey_girl
08-12-2002, 01:32 PM
Thank you for the replies!! At least I know this will be something I will need to avoid. For me this is NOT a minor thing. Loud noises HURT my ears. The whomp of a car stereo 4 cars away gives me a raging headache. So if I can avoid pain by avoiding something I know will cause it, I will. Sorry if loud noises seem trivial, but I depend on my hearing and if I lose it I lose my job.

Again, thank you for the replies. I appreciate the input!

mad4mky
08-12-2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Gemini Cricket

I miss the Joan Baez-like "Two Brothers" song. "All on a beautiful morning..." :D

I like/liked both versions of WDSFGMWML.

:)

I liked that song too...made me cry.

But, Disneyfreak...you have it wrong, well, at least in my case. I really do like the new version...quite a bit in fact. I think Disney did a good thing updating the dated Mr. Lincoln. And, I enjoy hearing the Gettysburg Address...

BUT...sometimes headlice is not so easy as just buying a bottle of RID. I guess you have never had to deal with it, huh? Especially on 3 little girls' heads with long, long hair...
So,
I kinda think that this IS a big issue....
Next time I am down there, I think I will ask about that. :confused: :eek:

EandCDad
08-12-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by mousey_girl
Thank you for the replies!! At least I know this will be something I will need to avoid. For me this is NOT a minor thing. Loud noises HURT my ears. The whomp of a car stereo 4 cars away gives me a raging headache. So if I can avoid pain by avoiding something I know will cause it, I will. Sorry if loud noises seem trivial, but I depend on my hearing and if I lose it I lose my job.

Again, thank you for the replies. I appreciate the input!

mousey girl,
You can try one of two things, listen to the attraction without the headphones (as cstephens mentions), you lose some of the sound effects, but you can follow what is going on. Or, the only real loud noises (that I recall) are during the battle scene, when the battle scene comes, you could take off the headphone.

leota's necklace
08-12-2002, 03:19 PM
I have to cast my vote against the new "Mr. Lincoln".

My husband and I saw the show after it opened and left feeling unimpressed. I gave it another shot last month and felt the same way. The new effects are neat, of course, but he put it best...the new show tries to drag you in and make you part of the action. But I don't need to "really be there" to appreciate the great words and the incredible deeds that made Lincoln an American Icon. I felt like I was being pandered to; like Disney felt I was so selfish I couldn't realize the importance of the events presented without pretending I was there. And Lincoln begging into my ear, I can do without...it's creepy to the nth degree. I can respect the man without thinking he might have been directly concerned about my personal welfare.

The acid test? "Lincoln", the old one, always brought tears to our eyes. The new one doesn't.

And as far as the topic of head lice goes...RID doesn't work, thanks. Multiple applications of prescription shampoo, which tend to cause chemical burns to the scalp, do. Head lice are not a small concern once you've had them, especially if you've had a case that went on for almost six months and left you feeling crawly for years afterward. Besides the skin damage to your scalp, you also must disinfect everything you own that you might have come in contact with, often multiple times. I always check headphones for nits or crawlies before I put them on...even at Disneyland. Same goes for hats.

Traci
08-12-2002, 03:30 PM
I haven't seen this new Lincoln attraction, but I do want to ask one question? Does Abe still come onstage and stand upright from a laying down position? I always thought that was the funniest!

Sorry, a little off topic...but I am curious.

smd4
08-12-2002, 03:39 PM
The new effects are neat, of course, but he put it best...the new show tries to drag you in and make you part of the action.

I can imagine no greater compliment to the imagineers who created this rendition of GMWML.

Disneyland was created as the first form of "virtual reality," where guests would become part of the show, and not just spectators, like at a movie.

roberts1398
08-12-2002, 04:02 PM
Mousey -- I don't think they meant your concerns re: sensitive ears were trivial. I think they were talking about the other stuff. From one who suffers them all the time, headaches are definitely NOT trivial, and you are right to take care of yourself. I'd recommend trying it, and you can hold the headphones away from your ears, take them off if it gets to you, or try it as others have suggested above without headphones at all. Do what you think is best for you!

For those of you concerned abut head lice, I wouldn't waste too much time worrying about this. Like someone said above, you have a greater shot getting it off the fabric of a seat in the airport shuttle or plane than off a headphone. While I too panic over the possibility of getting the dreaded critters and having to wash everything you own, I think the odds are minimal at best. And think of it this way, if you got them at DL, at least you wouldn't be stuck washing every piece of clothing and bedding you owned! LOL :D

leota's necklace
08-12-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by smd4

I can imagine no greater compliment to the imagineers who created this rendition of GMWML.

Note, first, that I said "try".

Second, again, I felt pandered to. I don't need my "leg" "blown off" to get my attention.