PDA

View Full Version : vcr's primed? new travel channel specials!

Pages : [1] 2

Tigertail777
08-09-2002, 05:07 PM
AUG 19 9pm :"secrets of Disney's Imagineers"
AUG 19 10 pm "secrets of Disneysea revealed"
AUG 20 9 pm " secrests of Disney's animal kingdom"

these should be really good from what travel channel has done in the past... I am really looking forward to them.

Ace
08-09-2002, 05:32 PM
I think the travel channel specials suck... but I watch them since the footage is good. ;)

MouseWife
08-09-2002, 05:38 PM
Oh, not I! I love the Travel Channel!! Specials and all!!

I love the reviews done by that chickie named Samantha. She cracks me up!! And I love to sit down and take a little trip while I drink my coffee.

My niece had gone to Cancun. She came home, telling me about the trip. In the morning, I turned on the t.v. and poof! there was the 4 Seasons hotel she stayed at, the beaches she'd gone to, and a lot of the activities she mentioned. I really liked that. She showed me pictures when she got back but I had actually seen footage.

But, that is my opinion. ;)

PXSgeek
08-09-2002, 07:48 PM
this is soo odd,
i ahev no idea why i came to these forums so late but it did, exactly in 12 minutes the travel channel is showing Secrets:Disneyland Paris and disney channel has disneylands 25th ann. show at 11 tonight eastern 2am pacific, i have directv so ill get to watch it at 11 unlike the rest of the west coast!::evil laugh:::p

PXSgeek
08-10-2002, 01:38 PM
D'OH!

jslivinski
08-16-2002, 08:02 AM
Monday's coming, get your VCR's ready.

kisroo
08-16-2002, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the info Tigertail 777! I love the Travel Channel!!! I know where I'll be on Monday night! Anyone been watching the "honeymoon adventures" and seen one on Disney??? Just curious...

mad4mky
08-16-2002, 08:43 AM
I these shows advertised while watching tv the other night. On the side of our tv is a big red "sticky" note reminding me to tape these...

Also...on the Travel Channel...they are going to show the Osbourne family...but from a few years ago...when Jack and Kelly were quite little...looks like it will be a fun thing to watch if you are an Osbourne fan like me!!:D

RStar
08-16-2002, 09:25 AM
It's on my calander! I'm taping too!:D :cool:

jslivinski
08-19-2002, 02:49 PM
Bump, Bump, Bump... Get those VCR's ready.

Dave Z
08-19-2002, 03:48 PM
I'm filling up my TIVO w/ Disney stuff! Got the Paris thing, 10th anniversary, a couple of old Disneyland shows about the early park and now, the Travel Channel stuff!! :D

roberts1398
08-20-2002, 08:01 AM
So who saw these last night? I didn't see the Imagineers one (recorded it, tho), but saw most of the Disney Sea show! Wow!!!

Can't say that I prefer the atmosphere there, but they had some really coooooool rides! Did you see those bumper boat things? Really fun looking.

I was so impressed with the thought that went into changes based on cultural differences. Amazing attention to what appeals and does not appeal to the Japanese, and to not offending. To me, that was evidence that Walt's spirit is still alive within Disney. Here's hoping they can do as well with DLR in the next few years... Really enjoyable show! :D

Ghoulish Delight
08-20-2002, 08:30 AM
I saw the imagineer show, taped the Disney Sea. The Imagineer show was pretty good. More entertaining than informative, but nothing wrong with entertaining. They hyped the heck out of the new space ride thingy in Florida without saying at ALL what the format really is.

One part had Cadaverous Pallor and myself in stitches. They were talking about Alien Encounter (which looks awsome). One of the major technical marvels there is the 3D sound. So they went into some minor detail about how they achieved it, using a human head model with strategically positioned microphones, etc. But what was the video they showed? A human head model with a guy snipping hair next to its ear :rolleyes: Great, rub it in. Florida gets Alien Encounter, we get attack of Mr. Lincoln.

And, as usual, California got a near snub. Indy was the only true attraction from California they detailed. They used the Florida Pirates, and all the other attractions were Florida originals. Guess it's not TOO suprising. It's not like I expected a Mullholland Madness expose. But, geez, they could have at least used the DLR Pirates, no?

mad4mky
08-20-2002, 08:54 AM
I watched both shows...as well as taped them.

My oldest daughter has announced that when she graduates from college, she wants her graduation gift to be a trip to DisneySea...with her mom and stepdad!!

I'd best start saving now*...

*as if I am going all the way to Tokyo...I want to stay at The Mira Costa.

Good shows though. I learned more than I thought I would with the Imagineers show.

Cooie
08-20-2002, 09:10 AM
I thought both the specials were well done, but it left me with a couple of questions...

1) Was it just me, or were they only touting technology that hasn't been used for many years now in the Imagineering special? Save for the Mission:Space discussion, all of the ride techniques they were discussing were for rides that have been around for a good long while (Pirates, Tower, Indy), yet they were discussing them as bein the future of the parks. Perhaps this fits in with the idea that they reuse some of the technology when reusing the ideas in other/newer parks, but if we're talking about groundbreaking stuff, I don't know that it fits in with the "futuristic" argument.

2) If the ToT at DCA isn't getting the 5th dimension, how will the ride work? Strikes me that the 5th is an integral part of the ride, and not having the option of using one shaft for the car's rise and another for the fall might cause a lot of undue wear and tear.

3) Why oh why can't we have a DisneySea!

Bill Catherall
08-20-2002, 09:25 AM
This thread saved me!! I was planning on setting the timer sometime over the weekend but completely forgot. So last night I was on the boards, saw this thread, looked at the clock...9:01pm!!! Ran into the living room, popped in a tape, hit record, and sat back and watched. :D

The Imagineering special was fun, but just a big tease. Especially when they started talking about the new compliance technology they use in the A1000s to give them more lifelike movement. The engineer in me was screaming "Show me the details." :)

I watched about 15 minutes of the Disney Sea special but had to get to bed. I recorded it and will watch the rest tonight. Lots of good footage in the 15 minutes I saw! I can't wait to see the rest.

Oh, and one question...They mentioned the double-decker carousel at Disney Sea as a "Disney first." Are they saying this is the first time Disney has used a double-decker carousel, or that Disney was the first to invent and use it? Because Paramount's Great America has a really nice double-decker...and I'm pretty sure it's older than the one at Disney Sea.

mad4mky
08-20-2002, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Bill Catherall

Oh, and one question...They mentioned the double-decker carousel at Disney Sea as a "Disney first." Are they saying this is the first time Disney has used a double-decker carousel, or that Disney was the first to invent and use it? Because Paramount's Great America has a really nice double-decker...and I'm pretty sure it's older than the one at Disney Sea.

I said the same thing to my daughter as we were watching....She interpreted it to mean..."this is Disney's first double decker carousel"...not a carousel "first".

Great America's double decker carousel has been there since the opening of the park...which is 1975 or 1976...:confused: (we went there as high schoolers as soon as the park opened...1975 or so).

daannzzz
08-20-2002, 09:54 AM
I watched both (and taped them so I can see them again) and I found the Imagineering one quite interesting but frustrating. Travel Channel seemed to still have their "Super Coaster Thrill ride" hat on and loved showing pics of RnR and California Screaming and the fast editing made for tough viewing. The part with them explaining about the story on RnR seemed a bit forced. Could they have chosen a better subject for this section of the show? I also thought they could have showed more recent technology but I suspect Disney only allowed a look at older stuff and really didn't want much of the new stuff talked about. You know how secrect they are.
As far as the Disney Sea Tokyo ( as they kept calling it) that was a great show to some degree. i really didn't need to see footage of the kennel. Remembering that it was suppose to be secrects about the park and the park "revealed" and not a travelogue, helped.

80s Babe
08-20-2002, 10:25 AM
I watched (and taped) both and enjoyed them. The thing that cracked me up was near the end of DisneySea..."Rumor has it that Walt kept an apartment over one of the buildings on Main Street in Disneyland so he could watch over the crowds" (or something to that effect).

Rumor? Isn't that common knowledge?

TheMur
08-20-2002, 10:31 AM
I watched most of both of the specials and really enjoyed them. My wife walked in during the Disney Seas special and said "I guess you are going to want to go to Tokyo now!" At least my wife is understanding about fascination!

My kids loved the shows and given that ther are not the big Disney freaks that I am, both of the shows really got them fired up. So I think the shows probably served their purpose and that is to inspire the average traveler to go to a Disney park.

Does anyone know if the Travel Channel makes their shows available on DVD or VHS like A&E does?

The Mur

TheMur
08-20-2002, 10:33 AM
Oops - There was one other thing I noticed that I got a chuckle over....

The footage of PoC showed the older non-PC version with the men chasing the women without food and the woman hiding in the barrel.

Mur

Cadaverous Pallor
08-20-2002, 10:49 AM
I know he probably doesn't frequent the Disneyland board, but wasn't that our very own HTH Bellcaptain featured in the show? I just might have to PM him on this...

Bill Catherall
08-20-2002, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
...wasn't that our very own HTH Bellcaptain featured in the show?
Find out for us please. :) I thought of him when I saw that, but I don't know what he looks like. I thought "I wonder if HTHBellcaptain knows him." :D

SzczerbiakManiac
08-20-2002, 11:06 AM
In case anyone missed it last night (or misses the Animal Kingdom show tonight), The Travel Channel is showing a "marathon" of this week's theme shows on Saturday (Aug. 24), including the Disney-related programs. At least, that's what my TiVo schedule indicates.

The Travel Channel's Web site (http://travel.discovery.com/) seems to indicate the Disney-related shows will be repeated between the hours of 1:00pm and 5:00pm Pacific. I tried to post a direct link but it didnt' work. :(

Aside: Why must TV Web sites make finding a list of their programming so frelling difficult!?! :mad:

Bill Catherall
08-20-2002, 11:13 AM
Thanks SzczerbiakManiac! Here's a link (http://tv.yahoo.com/tvpdb?d=tvs&id=166030958&lineup=us_CA04589d&channels=us_TRAV&.intl=us&startdate=1030147200) to the Travel Channel's August 24th lineup.

Hmmmm... I may have to catch that Hidden Yosemite special too. :D