PDA

View Full Version : April 8, 2008 - Julie Andrews, autobiography release and signing

Pages : [1] 2

cstephens
12-16-2007, 06:48 PM
Julie Andrews is releasing an autobiography and will be at the resort for a special appearance and signing on Tuesday, April 8, 2008. Here's a link for more information: http://psc.disney.go.com/eventservices/disneygallery/dlr_julieandrews_booksigning.html.

(This sounds like something amazing enough that I may have to take the day off to attend!)

Beach Gal
12-16-2007, 06:51 PM
Wow - I will definitely keep my ears open about this event! Thanks so much! :D

MammaSilva
12-16-2007, 07:06 PM
that looks like my birthday gift to me this coming year! I adore her and all her work.

biolabetty
12-16-2007, 09:17 PM
Definitely going to be there for that one. My daughter and I missed her during the 50th celebration. We were there at the same time she was, but never saw her. We met someone who had ridden with her in the elevator at the GCH, so we were tempted to go hang out there, but we were good.

mkraemer
04-01-2008, 07:15 AM
8:00 am -- Sales began
8:01 am -- I got into the system and ordered a copy (yay! I don't have to drive to Anaheim next week!)
8:11 am -- Sold out message appeared

biolabetty
04-01-2008, 07:22 AM
I got my copy at 8:09, but I had been trying to get in since 7:55. I thought it wasn't supposed to be open until 8:00. Kind of reminded me of Candlelight Processional reservations.

capst
04-01-2008, 09:30 AM
My wife wanted one but was away from her computer at 8 so I was elected to try from work. Snared one at 8:07. Nice to see they offered a mechanism for getting an AP discount, too.

Heffalump
04-01-2008, 02:03 PM
I tried and never did get in. Congratulations to those of you who got in and got a copy. I will be in line at Disneyland when she is there signing.

SANDYMARIE
04-01-2008, 08:44 PM
I got mine at 8:02. I just kept reloading the page until a picture of the book appeared and then I was able to order one. :)

TTFN :)

mkraemer
04-04-2008, 01:36 PM
There are other locations--some in the LA area--on this site:

http://www.julieandrewscollection.com/sitev2/promo.php

sjcivilady
04-05-2008, 03:10 PM
I would love to go to her signing.... My bff and I were total fans of hers when we were in high school (during the late 60's). We used to sing along to Ms. Andrews albums all the time. I'm so glad she's done the Princess movies - they have been fun to watch. To those of you who are going - have fun! :)

SweetAurora
04-07-2008, 11:53 AM
I plan on going tomorrow--I'm going to try to buy her book in LA today and then hop over to Disneyland in the morning to get it signed. Does anyone know what time I should get there if I already have the book? I know the signing starts at 1pm..should I get there earlier than that?

Also, if I can't find the book in LA today, what time should I get there to purchase the book and still get it signed in time?

I'm so excited. I love Julie Andrews and it will be wonderful just to sneak a peek of her! :) Thanks for your suggestions!

Tinkermommy
04-07-2008, 12:06 PM
I know the signing starts at 1pm..should I get there earlier than that?

Based upon the fact that signed copies of her book sold out in minutes, I think you should plan to arrive early. When "Fairy Dust and the Quest for the Egg" was released, they did a signing with the author, illustrator & Margaret Kerry, the original model for Tinker Bell, at Grand Californian. The line was already formed when we joined it hours before the signing was to begin. All told, we were in line for more than four hours before we got our books signed.

Saturday, we went to the signing for "Imagineering the Magic" at Disneyland. (Which was awesome, by the way.) We got there very early and got in and out pretty quickly. When we came out, the line was around the corner, so I don't know how long it was or how long people waited. I do know that it was scheduled to end at 11, and when we went by at about 11:10, there were still some people waiting. And this was an event for which they indicated they didn't expect a big turnout.

Just my thoughts...not sure how useful or applicable they are to this event...

SweetAurora
04-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Ok, I just called, and I was told that even if you already have the book, you have to be there at 7am to get the wristband anyway for the book signing.

Alex S.
04-07-2008, 12:19 PM
For those who might be interested, Andrews is on NPR's Fresh Air today discussing her life and the book.

You can download the podcast of it here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=13

AVP
04-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Also, if I can't find the book in LA today, what time should I get there to purchase the book and still get it signed in time?

Ok, I just called, and I was told that even if you already have the book, you have to be there at 7am to get the wristband anyway for the book signing.I would really question the information you recieved. Disneyland has been very clear in stating on the event Web site "We ask that you bring no personal items to be signed," and that has always meant outside copies of the books / dolls / sculptures / artwork / whatever that the artist / author is signing. I really, really do not think they will allow you to bring your own book.

AVP

maui512
04-07-2008, 01:03 PM
What time is everyone planning on getting in line and where are you going to park? The structure opens at 7:00 and Downtown Disney opens at 6:00. There were people in line last week at the Imagineering signing saying they were getting there at 4:00 and 5:00.
Thanks,
Lori

Phantom2006
04-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Last night as I was leaving the park a saw a small group of about 5 people starting to line up. They started their line next to the information kiosk in downtown disney. They had their lawn chairs and blankets. I did not ask them what they were lineing up for but I am just assuming.

AVP
04-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Here's the report from the Resort:

People did indeed arrive last night, some accounts have people there as early as 9:00pm, though the first person in the line this morning told CMs they had been there since 10pm.

If you arrived after about 6:00am this morning, you did not get a wristband. There were hundreds of people who arrived before 7am who did not get them.

I was told that people with wristbands were given the choice of purchasing a pre-signed book, or coming back to have an unsigned copy signed at the meet-and-greet. I was told that 250 pre-signed copies were sold.

The book (both signed and unsigned copies) completely sold out at Disneyland well before Noon, and Cast Members were informing people that there was no reason to wait the "stand by" sale at 1:00 because there were no copies left.

The carrousel dedication ceremony was short and cute, though it was nearly impossible for most of the crowd to get more than a quick glimpse of Julie Andrews. Ms. Andrews was presented with a miniature version of Jingles, which has been redecorated.

I'll post some photos later today when I have a chance.

AVP

Niwel
04-08-2008, 12:20 PM
If you arrived after about 6:00am this morning, you did not get a wristband. There were hundreds of people who arrived before 7am who did not get them.

Wow! But I believe it -- people (including this person) would wait in line to just to listen to Julie read the phone book. :)

PanFan
04-08-2008, 07:43 PM
My best friend's sister came down from Bakersfield with their mom last night to go to the signing today. I don't know what time they got there, but I heard they were the next ones up before the wristbands ran out (and you think it's bad to wait 20 minutes for Mickey just to have him go on a break when you're next!). She adores Julie Andrews and has since she was little. They caught a peek at the dedication, but otherwise had a fun day in the park. She's going to try again at one of the others in the area when she comes down for MA.

Julie Mouse
04-08-2008, 11:28 PM
Well, I must say I'm a bit relieved personally. I sooo wanted to go, but I've had to get funds together for a new passport before MouseAdventure. Looks like I'll get my pass tomorrow, yea!!! But I was really sad this morning and afternoon thinking that I should have been at the Park meeting Julie Andrews...I had planned to get there about 6am, so I wouldn't have gotten a wristband anyway. I'll console myself with riding Jingles and looking at all the "Julie symbols" now decorating her!

mkraemer
04-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Hey hey! I just got email from UPS that indicates my copy of Julie Andrews' autobiography is on its way! I have to say that I had been holding my breath, hoping that all the signed copies wouldn't be sold at the park on Tuesday...so this is a relief!
:D

mkraemer
04-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Wow! But I believe it -- people (including this person) would wait in line to just to listen to Julie read the phone book. :)

Me too!

But then again, I would also listen to Patrick Stewart or Sir Ian McKellen read the phone book.
:cool:

SANDYMARIE
04-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Hey hey! I just got email from UPS that indicates my copy of Julie Andrews' autobiography is on its way! I have to say that I had been holding my breath, hoping that all the signed copies wouldn't be sold at the park on Tuesday...so this is a relief!
:D

Me too! I got the same notice. YIPPIE, I'm excited!!!!! :D

TTFN :)