PDA

View Full Version : Boat Sinking

Pages : [1] 2

Ace
08-09-2002, 11:05 AM
I have no idea what hapenned, but I keep reading things about a boat sinking on Small World... what hapenned?

Frees
08-09-2002, 11:07 AM
Where did you read that?

haiderodes
08-09-2002, 11:35 AM
didnt you hear....

A group of Doll refugees hopped on board a loaded boat. Apparently they have been held hostage inside the attractions since it opened. They were trying to sail to freedom!

hehe...you know guests arent the only ones sick of that song...the dolls dont like it either. Thats why they like to fall apart hoping for a really long rehab!

Frees
08-09-2002, 11:42 AM
When Dolls attack!

Cooie
08-09-2002, 11:53 AM
Is that a swipe at me and my collecting habit? ;)

Anyway, I thought it was impossible for the boats to sink? Or capsize, anyway. I suppose if there was a hole in one of them, that could cause sinkage.

innerSpaceman
08-09-2002, 12:00 PM
CMs are on to the whole boat sinking thing.

Speaking from just my own personal experience, we were twice foiled in attempts to sink the boat during the infamous Gemini Crickett Meet. Even though all 18 of us fit (snugly) into a Small World boat, they made some of us get out for fear that we would "beach" the boat. This, of course, is true and was (dare we admit it) our intention. I was not there, but during the Disneyland Birthday Meet (I believe), the over-filled Small World boat did get grounded and ceased to move along the flume, leaving the occupants to push themselves along Volga-Boatman style.

We also tried to sink a Storybook Land boat, but they saw that one coming, and broke our group up into THREE separate boats.

We did manage to fill a Pirate boat, even though they did make a few us disembark that one also. Our boat was legitimately full, but we did not come close to sinking (although I was admonished by the control room gods to keep my hands and arms inside the boat).

blusilva
08-09-2002, 12:37 PM
I don't get it. Why would you want to intentionally sink a boat?

zapppop
08-09-2002, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Squinky
I have no idea what hapenned, but I keep reading things about a boat sinking on Small World... what hapenned?
Boat sinking is when the boat gets overloaded w/ guests and at some point during the ride ( due to the weight ) the boat stops. This happened when the Sunday brunch group went on Small World the day it re-opened from it's lengthy rehab. There were 13 of us in the boat and as soon as we entered the facade and made the first turn, we stopped. Al Lutz instructed us to rock the boat from side to side while pulling the boat from the side. Eventually we starting moving very slowly and we stopped again.....and again. Now, on Pirates Of The Caribbean, the boat will stop over the second drop if you overload it. This happened on cemeinke's " 4th " b-day. We had to wait for another boat behind us to drop down the first drop to send a wave of water to push us over the drop. That's basically, what boat sinking is; and as Innerspaceman said, the CM's are getting wise to it ( some anyway ).

Sheila
08-09-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
That's basically, what boat sinking is; and as Innerspaceman said, the CM's are getting wise to it ( some anyway ).

That's just shocking. I would never stoop to such behavior. ;) ;) ;) :p

Sheila

Dave Z
08-09-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by blusilva

I'm sad to say it but... Because it's there.

SzczerbiakManiac
08-09-2002, 01:00 PM
Such shallow behavior! ;)

Ace
08-09-2002, 03:08 PM
See, I'm not insane.

coronamouseman
08-09-2002, 03:08 PM
So this incident is not like those occasional events where the Explorer Canoes get swamped or even toppled (sure was lot better when they had the Cascade Peak with the waterfalls!)

justagrrl
08-09-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
Small World...We also tried to sink a Storybook Land boat,...Pirate boat

And you guys wonder why you're being stared at through the bushes. (just kidding of course.) This is too funny people. I really missed out.

However, dare I point out that with all the complaining done about certain teens and their behavior on rides, that some of the adults aren't acting their age now are they. Where do I sign up? :D

adriennek
08-09-2002, 03:16 PM
I've been on boats that have been overfilled by CM's despite my group warning them...

One time we went with a very large group (20+ people) on Pirates and asked to be put on two boats. We *knew* that would cause the boat to stall or "sink" and told the CMs that we would not all fit in one boat. I don't know if they thought we just wanted to stretch out our legs or what. But they insisted on stuffing us all into one boat and guess what? We stopped the ride right before the first drop.

To make matters worse, they emptied two very full rows. One person in one of those rows was a very large person. They took us back to the loading area and put us into 2 rows again, instead of dividing us into THREE rows. Guess what happened? That boat stopped in the exact same place. This time the entire ride went 101 for awhile. I could have diagnosed the problem for them....

Adrienne K

cstephens
08-09-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by blusilva

I don't understand it either. I've been personally on a boat where we got stuck right before the first drop on Pirates, and we had to unstick ourselves. There are other times when we've been on Pirates when we probably would have ended up getting stuck had we followed the CMs instructions, but we refused to seat that many people in that few rows, so instead of the CM being able to seat yet more people on the boat, we ended up taking over the whole boat. I also have friends who have been stuck on a boat in Small World because of CM loading problems.

It's one thing if the CMs mess up, and they really need to be taught about loading better. But I personally think it's a bit rude to try to "sink" or stick a boat. It might be fun for people who've been on the ride many times and who can go back to the park multiple times, but I don't imagine the extra wait time to fix the problem is any fun for the other people in line, some of whom might be on their first visit or on one of their infrequent visits.

coronamouseman
08-09-2002, 09:50 PM
Sounds more like "running aground" on Small World or Pirates boats than a "sinking" ...........

SimpTwister
08-09-2002, 10:40 PM
What cstephens said. ^^^

cemeinke
08-10-2002, 12:57 AM
Whatever floats your boat
:p

PurpleDove33
08-10-2002, 07:21 AM
I was one of those people that was in that boat. And it wasn't done intentional. And it wasn't for trying to get the thing moving.

Disney Nick
08-12-2002, 08:41 AM
I took no part in any boat sinking... *runs away*

zapppop
08-12-2002, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by cemeinke
Whatever floats your boat
:p
or sinks it.

Disney Nick
08-12-2002, 10:35 AM
Sorry this is off topic, but wow Isaac actually made it home. Lisa and Chris, you need to watch your "son's" drinking at DCA...

Ace
08-12-2002, 02:27 PM
I wonder if the International Association of Sumo Wrestlers could "sink" the Mark Twain or the Columbia....

zapppop
08-12-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by NMoreles
Sorry this is off topic, but wow Isaac actually made it home. Lisa and Chris, you need to watch your "son's" drinking at DCA...
he he, when the parents are away, the kids will play !!!
Actually, I wasn't THAT tipsy. I've gotten hammered before, and I can tell ya, yesterday was nothing. It hit me well because until yesterday, it had been 16 months since I had any alcohol. I was okay when I left, otherwise, I would've stayed longer.
Thanks for watching me get home safely Julie.
I must say I woke feeling very refreshed this morning. I feel ready to sink a boat ! If only it were Friday already !!