PDA

View Full Version : Why DCA is actually a success

Mort
04-25-2001, 07:40 AM
In nearly every public comment about the selection of DCA's theme, Mr. Eisner said they wanted the new park to be something didn't compete with Disneyland.

Given the attendance figures, it is clear that have succeeded beyond their wildest dreams.

pheneix
04-25-2001, 07:46 AM
>Given the attendance figures, it is clear that have >succeeded beyond their wildest dreams.

No offense, but that is a pretty wild statement, especially considering that Disneyland's attendance was down a bit for a few months. Is DL's attendance still down by a few thousand people?

Pheneix

Napsto
04-25-2001, 08:18 AM
It will all work out guys, you got to have hope!

parky_in_paris
04-25-2001, 08:25 AM
The problem with 'it will all work out' is that this is supposed to be a company who invented Theme Parks.
They have years of experience, and yet they still manage to get it so wrong.

The shareholder and more importantly the public don't want to pay $43 just to be told, it will be OK later.

A company who runs so many parks and such a huge business worldwide, should not be making simple errors like DCA.

pheneix
04-25-2001, 08:35 AM
>should not be making simple errors like DCA.

SIMPLE?!? I'd call it an incredible error created by people who are just looking for a quick buck. A simple error is misspelling a word. A billion dollar mistake is far from simple. ;)

Pheneix

Lacrosse Boy
07-12-2001, 01:29 PM
It is a success because of the Electrical Parade.

Mort
07-12-2001, 02:16 PM
Jeez!

After months of not posting and barely lurking, I get an email telling me someone responded to a message I wrote in April. So I dig through my pile o' passwords and splashdown on this 'planet' of fundizmentalists only to discover DCA is now being called a success because of the Cut & Paste Electrical Parade.

You are joking, right Lacrosse? You don't really think DCA is a success? Just wait till they turn off those lights in September. This time it will be the crowds that glow away forever.

There are no quick fixes.

But there is a solution . . .

80S ERA
07-12-2001, 02:26 PM
??:confused:

Mandrake Linux
07-12-2001, 02:45 PM
Is it me or are people hypnotised by the guy talking on the left?

So Disney actually made this park a failure on pupose? Hmmm something's not right here.

Napsto
07-12-2001, 05:09 PM
the electrical parade ain't that bad.

Mort
07-12-2001, 06:07 PM
irony n. 1. The use of words to convey the opposite of their literal meaning. 2. Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs. (Gk. erioneia - feigned ignorance)

-----

So long as I have the dictionary handy, allow me to spell it all out so there isn't any further confusion. No, Eisner did not make this park a failure on purpose.

What Eisner did do is intentionally make a park that was dramatically different from D'land. This was perhaps done on the assumption the public wouldn't notice or care about the difference, that he doesn't understand his company's own product line, or that it just seemed like the best idea after a whole week's consideration at an executive retreat. After all, how long did it take to come up with the ideas behind Disneyland?(1)

But no matter the rational - and that is a generous use of the word - Eisner et al. decided what would go best right next door to D'land was something that had nothing to do about storytelling and all about experience.

Do a news search on stories that came out around DCA's opening. You'll see from their own words what they wanted to accomplish. The logic may have been along the lines of 'something that would complement but not compete' with the original.

Perhaps Eisner thought he was building a Quarter-pounder to offer up next to the trusty ol' Big Mac. Sadly, we got a McFish or whatever they call it . . . if they still even sell it.

So, yes, DCA is a 'success' in an ironic sense because it is something that doesn't compete with Disneyland. People went to the esplanade and (god love 'em) consistently continued to go north -- at least until they started giving away admissions and hyping memories of others' creativity.

(1) While ironic, that sentence is mainly sarcastic.

lisap
07-12-2001, 06:48 PM
Hi Mort,
I did get the irony, but I was kinda having fun reading people freak out at what they thought you said.

:)

Napsto
07-12-2001, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Mort
irony n. 1. The use of words to convey the opposite of their literal meaning. 2. Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs. (Gk. erioneia - feigned ignorance)

-----
Perhaps Eisner thought he was building a Quarter-pounder to offer up next to the trusty ol' Big Mac. Sadly, we got a McFish or whatever they call it . . . if they still even sell it.

i like filet o fishes. tehy aer good especially w/ mr. pibb.

Lacrosse Boy
07-12-2001, 06:50 PM
I don't think it was a smash success. It was more of a clumsy success with all the money that has been pushed into it lately.

DisneyFreak2000
08-09-2001, 05:29 PM
If they did it right in the first place, they would have SAVED tons of money rather than just throw it all together to: a) bring back an old parade that "glowed away forevr" b) pick something simplistic up that belongs in FL and build it c) create a special X-mas lagoon show d) make many ads e) build more E and kid attractions... the list goes on

DisneyFreak2000
08-09-2001, 05:30 PM
BTW, wasn't there plans to originally build TOT in DCA?

disneyhead
08-09-2001, 06:39 PM
Yes, there were plans for a TOT, but it's a very expensive ride. So my guess is that they were hopeing that DCA would be a runaway success and they could get away with not having to build it.

Wackokid
08-09-2001, 07:45 PM
they're not going to build anything that people like or maintain the park because it would lower eisner's bonus