PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland: Secrets, Stories and Magic DVD Finally!

Pages : [1] 2

Mickey
12-11-2007, 04:59 PM
After waiting for this pushed back DVD (For 2 years)
Finally Its Out There! On Sale Now!

A 5 Hour Dvd!!! Im Forward To Seeing It Untill Christmas !! Yep I'll Wait!!!

Kricky
12-11-2007, 05:18 PM
Where can you get it?

DangerMouse
12-11-2007, 05:21 PM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000VE4UCE/ref=pd_luc_mri?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

BackSideOfWtr
12-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Wow.... is this mostly on the history of DL? Or are there plenty of behind the scenes and secrets??

EmmasMom
12-11-2007, 05:27 PM
Costco has it for $21.99. Also the Oswald and Donald DVD's. Can't wait to watch it tonight!

Disneymademoiselle
12-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Well, it's about time!!!

I've already asked Santa for this DVD ;) Is it Christmas morning, yet?

olegc
12-11-2007, 09:25 PM
there is a link on the News board of Mousepad that Tony Baxter was interviewed about the set. Apparently they discovered a massive collection of open stock video of Disneyland that was shot between 1955 and 1976. Sort of like Walt's nature videos where he would send crews out and they would simply film everything. Walt had sent similar crews to Disneyland to "just film"...

My guess is they found this archive and held back on the release of the DVD in order to add any possible essential footage to the dvd.

disneyjunkie
12-11-2007, 09:38 PM
I cant wait to watch it either , but it will be a little delayed . I pre ordered from amazon.com and I thought it would be here on the day it was released but looking on the tracking it was ready for USPS pick up from amazon but no tracking avaliable yet and eta is Dec 17th :(

Andrew
12-11-2007, 10:00 PM
Look for MousePlanet's review on Thursday.

AVP
12-12-2007, 06:57 AM
I think distribution of this wave of Treasures was delayed. We did not get our review copy of two of the films until late last week, and Oswald didn't arrive until yesterday. Disneyland did not have any copies to sell at any location I was in yesterday, and there were lots of guests looking for them.

AVP

olegc
12-12-2007, 07:01 AM
I think distribution of this wave of Treasures was delayed. We did not get our review copy of two of the films until late last week, and Oswald didn't arrive until yesterday. Disneyland did not have any copies to sell at any location I was in yesterday, and there were lots of guests looking for them.

AVP

costco's had a TON but Targets were a mixed bag (did a lot of christmas shopping yesterday). This was a small sampling in Irvine, so who knows what happened across the country. It's been on my calendar since they announced the release date in August or so.

ralfrick
12-12-2007, 08:23 AM
Got mine from Amazon yesterday. Haven't watched the main feature yet. The boy and I played the trivia game, though. You answer a question for each land, and afterwards you can watch a short vid clip. By far we found the footage of Walt's apt. to be the most interesting. There are 15 total clips, to "win", and 2 levels of difficulty in the questions. You have to do both levels if you don't want to start answering the same questions repeatedly.

Also watched the 40 minute People and Places: DL USA. This is a stunning 40 minute film shot in 1956. It's basically a big ad that was released to theaters, but in color and cinemascope, and looks incredible. Lots of arial shots, and there is also a commentary track with Baxter and Maltin.

Disc 2, which I haven't watched yet (hey, the Sharks played last night) that has 3 episodes of the Sunday night show: DL After Dark, Golden Horseshoe Review, and DL Goes to the World's Fair. I'm also looking forward to the other item on this disc-time lapse footage of the park's construction.

HMMMM, maybe I should quit wasting time writing about it, go do my slow work day, and actually watch the durn thing.

A bientot.

yellowrosedtxn
12-12-2007, 08:46 AM
I got this DVD for my dad for Christmas. Hopefully it will be here today but I am excited for him to get it. Does anyone know if they show the footages of DL being built?

EmmasMom
12-12-2007, 05:43 PM
I finally got to watch disc 1 today. The best part was the Disneyland USA 1956 park tour. It was fun to see the old attractions and how small the plants were.

I also enjoyed the interviews with the early developers/Imagineers and Walt talking about Disneyland.

I agree with ralfrick about the footage of Walt's apartment being the most interesting in the quiz section. The downside is that most of the quiz seems to have been done around the time of the 50th. Some of it was out of date. Too bad it wasn't updated to reflect the new release date.

I hope to check out disc 2 tomorrow.

jenpace
12-12-2007, 06:25 PM
I just added it to my "queue" on Blockbuster's online rental service. I'm sure that Netflix will also have it :)

Andrew
12-12-2007, 07:18 PM
We picked it up at Costco tonight--they had cases of the Chronological Donald and Oswald, but just a couple of the Disneyland set--and will probably watch it tonight or tomorrow.

AVP
12-12-2007, 09:42 PM
As of this morning Disneyland had not even received the DVDs into their warehouse, and it does not look likely that they will be on DLR shelves before Christmas. Nobody I've talked to seems to have any idea what happened, especially since High School II made it in time.

AVP

Tony
12-12-2007, 09:47 PM
I got this DVD for my dad for Christmas. Hopefully it will be here today but I am excited for him to get it. Does anyone know if they show the footages of DL being built?

There is a great section on Disk 2 that lets you watch a ton of footage from the different cameras stationed around the park during construction. Think the short time lapse film that looped in the Opera House on Main Street - but probably 40+ minutes of it - from all of the lands.

I really liked the Disneyland USA section - one of the fun parts of it is the Music only track on the film. Completely remastered music - now in 5.1 surround, it is amazing to watch the film and be surrounded by the music. I spent a good chunk of time enjoying that.

adriennek
12-12-2007, 09:49 PM
We can't get Disc 2 of Oswald to work. It came loose in the box and the plastic wrapped button/pin that was packaged in the box scratched it up badly. We tried it on three different DVD players. Nada. Heads up!

Adrienne

oregontraveler
12-13-2007, 03:59 AM
I bought mine at Target for $24.99. Tony's review is spot-on. The
documentary is full of great info, but they didn'y spend alot of time on any one subject. I wanted to hear more about "The Disneyland That Never Was"
Althoug I was surprised to see Cast Member Matt who appear about an hour into it, along with Oscar Rodriguez (sp?) longtime Disney employee.
Once again, Walt was ahead of his time is documenting the construction
and ABC specials. Disc 2 is full of vintage shots of the park. The trivia game is fun since you get to see bonus clips at the end. I love this DVD :cool:

Bytebear
12-13-2007, 01:17 PM
Ok. I went to Costco in Irvine/Tustin and then to Target. They were all sold out. I am going to hit another Costco on my way back home after work, and maybe (shudder) Wal-Mart. Wish me luck.

Gone2Disneyland
12-13-2007, 08:08 PM
Ok. I went to Costco in Irvine/Tustin and then to Target. They were all sold out. I am going to hit another Costco on my way back home after work, and maybe (shudder) Wal-Mart. Wish me luck.

I usually head straight to the stores on Tuesdays to pick my DVDs up, but this week I didn't for some reason. And I'm paying for it with anxiety. :eek::crying:

Wednesday I hit the three Best Buys in my area: no Disneyland DVD. None also at Borders and B&N. Tonight, Thursday, went back to the closer Best Buy again and Target: still none. I'm with you on the "shudder" on going to Wal-Mart. I'm hoping for Best Buy to get restocked on Saturday to take advantage of the sale price; otherwise Amazon.com still shows they have them in stock.

Bytebear
12-14-2007, 12:14 PM
I usually head straight to the stores on Tuesdays to pick my DVDs up, but this week I didn't for some reason. And I'm paying for it with anxiety. :eek::crying:

Wednesday I hit the three Best Buys in my area: no Disneyland DVD. None also at Borders and B&N. Tonight, Thursday, went back to the closer Best Buy again and Target: still none. I'm with you on the "shudder" on going to Wal-Mart. I'm hoping for Best Buy to get restocked on Saturday to take advantage of the sale price; otherwise Amazon.com still shows they have them in stock.

Well, good news. I hit the other Costco near me, and I got the very last copy. I felt a little guilty, but got over it a few seconds later. :D

AVP
12-15-2007, 08:08 AM
Disneyland is supposed to have them in stock on Sunday - they arrived at the warehouse in Ontario sometime Thursday afternoon, and should be in resort stores tomorrow.

AVP

Toocherie
12-15-2007, 11:13 AM
I just ordered mine off Amazon (along with a couple of other things I needed so I got free shipping!)

I won't have time to watch it before Christmas anyway, but according to the last screen I'm supposed to get delivery by December 24 . . . .