PDA

View Full Version : 8/7: Random news from the DLR

Uncle Dick
08-07-2002, 11:55 PM
Today, with my mother and sisters in tow, I did my first opening to closing DL trip in a looooonng time. Lots of interesting tidbits to throw out.

There's a new billboard in Paradise Pier in between the "Games of the Boardwalk" and "Burger Invasion" advertisements. If you recall, there used to be a cute little photo op there with ride vehicle cut-outs from California Screamin' and Golden Zephyr and a background which fit the location of each attraction. Well, the ride cut-outs are there, but the background has been replaced with a giant Coppertone advertisement. Guess DCA needed a few more bucks to fund the music series. What's interesting about the advertisement is that it features a censored version of the standard Coppertone logo, covering up the usually bare bottom of the girl getting her pants pulled down by a little dog. It's just looks a little strange. I took a picture with my mom's digital camera, but I doubt it'll be up anytime soon.

The GRR spin has returned! I rode the attraction twice today and was taken by surprise when the raft commenced with its usual spinning drop on the final hill. The second trip was disappointingly "spin-free" but I did notice rafts in front of me getting their spin on. This is the first time I've seen the spin operate in at least 6 months.

The Mr. Lincoln spiel no longer prohibits video recording. Video lighting and flash photography are still strictly prohibited.

The "cute seat belt checking chick" on Indy didn't ask anyone to tug on their yellow strap or try to stand up. A simple visual inspection seemed to satisfy her concern for our safety.

The tortilla people were handing out two halves of a tortilla to each guest who walked by (even though it was pretty busy in there). When I approached the CM stationed at the machine, he reached back, grabbed a tortilla, sliced it in half and then proceeded to give me both halves. Force of habit, perhaps?

The Buckinghams didn't seem to be especially popular. The Paradise Pier bridge, which is normally filled with a couple of rows of adoring fans, was deserted. The lighting sure was nice at the 1945 show, though.

Construction continues on the Tower of Terror. A "port-a-potty" stationed on the upper floors of the steel structure inevitably led to bad jokes about a scaled down "Toilet of Terror" attraction (which would be kind of cool, in a way).

A large gathering of guests in the "It's Tough to Be a Bug" Fastpass area almost led me to believe that the seldom used machines were finally getting a workout due to huge crowds. Nope. It seems Princess Atta had wandered over into the shaded Fastpass area for her meet and greet session. They really just need to scrap those machines and use the area as a permanent meet and greet site.

Finally, I saw "The Power of BLAST!" for the first time since the "hot female percussionist-turned-hot dancer chick" left. I noticed for the first time just how many men there are in that show compared to women. And whatever happened to that cute chick who played the baritone-type instrument? You know, the one who would do the splits during Malagueña. I like the new guy who does the first drum solo a lot more than the asian dude who did it for so long. He has the skills.

Anyway, just some random thoughts about my day at the parks.

bluepearl
08-08-2002, 12:58 AM
Uncle Dick! I particularly enjoyed Naoki's performances! I thought he did an exceptional job when he took Kit's position ( :sniff: ). Gah, I hate to dwell on the past like usual, but the pairing of Kit and Naoki for the dueling drummers was the best to me, because they were so hilarious when they dueled. Especially the part where Naoki had to look above his shoulder. But I digress...

Geez, when will be the next time I get the chance to spend a whole day at the parks? Not until September, that's for sure. Five days a week there and I can't find the time to go in.

How were the crowds for a Wednesday?

Gemini Cricket
08-08-2002, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick
Finally, I saw "The Power of BLAST!" for the first time since the "hot female percussionist-turned-hot dancer chick" left. I noticed for the first time just how many men there are in that show compared to women.
It's a great show. It needs more men. :D

I like the new guy who does the first drum solo a lot more than the asian dude who did it for so long. He has the skills.
The new guy with the big eyebrows is my favorite. Very skilled indeed. ;) I tried to shake his hand after, but he disappeared. I shook everyone else's hand... even Zach the fluegelhornist. :)

Ace
08-08-2002, 11:28 AM
HOW FAST DO YOU RUN????

SzczerbiakManiac
08-08-2002, 12:57 PM
Gemini Cricket wrote:
I shook everyone else's hand... even Zach the fluegelhornist. :)Cheater! Just because you can't type flügelhorn correctly doesn't mean you get to use the Anglicized version! ;)

Speaking of Blast!... has anyone talked with a B!CM and elicited their opinion about the early closure? I asked Zach (he's the one who plays the "never-ending" note on the flügelhorn) how he felt about it and while he was somewhat disappointed, he didn't seem particularly upset about it.

Or at least that's what I think he said. I got a little lost staring into those deep pools he calls eyes....

DLfreak
08-08-2002, 02:56 PM
Zach is cute. :)

That's all I wanted to say.

Thank you. :)

Actually...something else....I heard a rumor from a guy that plays Aladdin.....because he's Aladdin in the new show that's taking Blast's place in November.....that Blast will be coming back again after Aladdin is there for a few months. Does anybody else know anything about this? :confused:

RStar
08-08-2002, 03:26 PM
Hey UD,

HA HA HA!:D I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants!

Toilet Of Terror !!!

Actually, now that I think about it, isn't that going to be the new name of DCA??;)

Just kidding.

I think........

Not Afraid
08-08-2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by DLfreak
I heard a rumor from a guy that plays Aladdin.....because he's Aladdin in the new show ....

What? What? What? Not our Aladdin from the Aladdin & Jasmine show? The guy who we call DUDE!!!!!? Oh, please confirm.....dying to know.......DUDE!!!!

Matterhorn Fan
08-08-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
What? What? What? Not our Aladdin from the Alladin & Jasmine show? The guy who we call DUDE!!!!!? Oh, please confirm.....dying to know.......DUDE!!!! Dude . . . Aladdin!

Not Afraid
08-08-2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Matterhorn Fan
Dude . . . Aladdin!

Take off your English Teacher gloves. You're out of the ring now.:)

Matterhorn Fan
08-08-2002, 05:45 PM
This has nothing to do with English teachers and everything to do with Disney geekiness. You know you're a Disney geek when . . .

DLfreak
08-08-2002, 09:58 PM
Well if you guys are done with spell check...... ;)

I'm not sure if he is Aladdin there. I can ask. I know for sure that he is Aladdin during Fantasmic. :) But I will find out for you. :)

EandCDad
08-09-2002, 10:18 AM

The "cute seat belt checking chick" on Indy didn't ask anyone to tug on their yellow strap or try to stand up. A simple visual inspection seemed to satisfy her concern for our safety.

There is a cute chick at the park's that I'm not aware of? Oh the humanity!

Thanks for the update, always a pleasure to read your observations.

DLfreak
08-14-2002, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Not Afraid

What? What? What? Not our Aladdin from the Aladdin & Jasmine show? The guy who we call DUDE!!!!!? Oh, please confirm.....dying to know.......DUDE!!!!

I asked him, and he said that yes, when he does that show there are people that call him Dude. :)

cstephens
08-15-2002, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by DLfreak
I asked him, and he said that yes, when he does that show there are people that call him Dude. :)

EVERYONE calls him "Dude".

When he's making his wishes, we always figure he's wishing for a great wave. :)