PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland smells

Pages : [1] 2

TecTalker2K
08-07-2002, 11:20 AM
I was on my bed this morning listening to the quiet morning sounds and enjoying the cool morning breeze when one of our saniation trucks drove by spewing out its heavy diesel fumes. The smell was not repulsive as one would think as my thoughts turned to Disneyland. Wit the park being so close to to I-5, that smell has become part of the charater of the place. I got to thinking how many other smells trigger those emtional feelings. The smell of the moldy, musty water in POTC, the oil and keroscene smell going past the dinosaurs on the railway. Anyone else get that warm fuzzy feeling when they smell something similar?

smd4
08-07-2002, 11:27 AM
Boy, my High School English teacher would have a field day with the title of this thread!!:p

I think you were leaning along the lines of "Disneyland Odors," and not making a negative statement about the foul-smelling aromas that can often be sensed around the park (right?).

Personally, I have always loved the smell of the diesel oil exhaust from the trains as you enter the park (the same smell you mentioned existing in the Grand Canyon/Primeval World Diorama).

And I always throught the POTC smelled like chlorine--far from musty.

Bill Catherall
08-07-2002, 11:37 AM
Certain cigarettes and pipe tobacco. Weird eh? I'm usually repulsed by such smells, but sometimes I'll get a whiff of someone's cigarette and I'm instantly transported to Main Street.

One of the things I enjoyed reading in my Imagineering book is how they have tried to create a certain fragrance for each land. If you notice New Orleans Square smells different than Adventureland, etc. One way of doing this was by using plants and vegetation to create certain "land specific" odors. I don't know if you've ever been to a foreign country before, but one of the first things you'll notice is that it smells "different."

blusilva
08-07-2002, 11:48 AM
I don't know if you've ever been to a foreign country before, but one of the first things you'll notice is that it smells "different."

Yeah, Puerto Vallerta, Mexico smells exactly like the Pirates of the Carribean!! No joking! :)

lisap
08-07-2002, 11:57 AM
Of course, I think they need to bottle the scent of POTC. Very sexy to Disney Geeks ;)

Diesel fumes remind me of Autopia.
The sulpher smell of burned matches reminds me of Believe
Popcorn smells reminds me of Main Street.

Not Afraid
08-07-2002, 12:02 PM
This is sick, but true, and Steph can verify (please) but the smell near the Frounteerland churo cart reminds me of vomit.

innerSpaceman
08-07-2002, 03:03 PM
I have actually bottled Pirates of the Caribbean water and worn it as a cologne. Unfortunately, taken out of context and out of cavern, it is not sexy - not even to Disney geeks.

Though it never filled me with fond memories, somehow I sorta miss the rotten egg smell that used to permeate parts of Splash Mountain.

80s Babe
08-07-2002, 03:45 PM
Maybe it's just me but I find that Balmex Diaper Rash cream smells like the smoke/mist from POTC, that may be your cologne. :D So, ok, that one obviously takes me there.

Hmmm, on a very smoggy day I always think of DL too.

DisneylandBoy
08-07-2002, 04:05 PM
I agree I love to smell of Pirates . . . that smell reminds me of POTC and Splash.

Anytime I smell Cotton Candy I think of Disneyland - walking down Main Street. Oh:crying: I haven't been in so long . . . . too long . . ok so only a few weeks . . .still

Main Street Magic
08-08-2002, 08:26 AM
OK...now you've all done it......

And I am sure that any CM will agree with me...there is a very distinctive aroma around the backlots of all of the parks.....one cannot miss it if you travel around...that aroma is from any of the trash compactors.....

:p

Dave Z
08-08-2002, 09:53 AM
Gee, no one mentioned the burnt coffee smell (oops... odor) at DCA entrance. This is technically a DL smell because I've smelled it on my way to DL (in the ah, promen..promanad..?).

Diesel smell for me 'cause of the trains.

DZ

Frees
08-08-2002, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Dave Z
Gee, no one mentioned the burnt coffee smell (oops... odor) at DCA entrance.

So, it isn't just me!

I was this close to getting an MRI.

The smell of any rollercoaster reminds me of Big Thunder.
An elevator where I live smells exactly like the que for Space Mountain.
One of my cats smells like the que for Indy on odd days.

Cooie
08-08-2002, 11:28 AM
Whenever I smell vanilla, it's all about the main street candy shop for me. Anything murky-green smelling evokes thoughts of Rivers of America... and if you don't know what murky-green smells like, just take a trip on the Mark Twain. That should explain it perfectly. ;)

roberts1398
08-08-2002, 11:35 AM
I can't believe I'm the first to say ... CHURROS!

SoCalSnowWhite
08-08-2002, 02:26 PM
Definitely, POTC is the best!! I also miss that old stinky HM carpet. Oh, and the smell of the Snow White ride....sigh....

Brat
08-08-2002, 06:09 PM
The smell of flowers & trees & vegitation...It makes me think of the whole resort area. I love being on the Jungle cruise & seeing all the plants... one of the captains was even teasing us for looking at them (you know, when they say..." and if you look to my right you'll see...trees. What are you guys looking at, it's just trees.") Can't tell I'm a desert rat at all :)

Tigertail777
08-09-2002, 01:34 AM
the dieselish/water smell of the Tom Sawyer raft. And a new smell since we went there on the last trip for the first time: the smell of the Blue Bayou restaurant: kinda musty chlorine from potc, but also burned candles, and creole style food... its hard to describe, but what a smell! Also the fresh breezy smell from the water screens in fantasmic. AND the smell of a fresh Dole Whip right by the tiki room at the Dole cart... a nice smooth slightly pineapple smell.

3IAlienKid
08-09-2002, 03:51 PM
The nicest smell is of the waffle cones being made at the Gibson Girl ice cream shop on Main Street next to the psuedo-arcade.

This is gross to think about, but the only smell outside of DL that reminds me of anything about DL would be the musty smell of my car air conditioner being turned on for the first 30 seconds. Definitely reminiscent of Pirates.

stevemo
08-09-2002, 04:02 PM
I have to agree, anything that smells musty and damp ( my hot tub when I first remove the cover) puts me in a POTC place. Diesel fumes always remind me of the Submarine Voyage.

RStar
08-09-2002, 05:59 PM
You know POTC is the old standard, but a new one has emerged.... the "electric race care set" kinda smell from Indy. Most noticable just as you turn to the left as he is holding back the "GATES OF DOOM!" and as the lightning is traveling across the walls.

One I've often wondered about, and I'm not sure if it is still there, but just as you walk up to the right tunnel at the front of DL (from the inside of the park) by City Hall has always smelled like a leaky sewer. Could never figure out why the couldn't fix that, you would think they would realize that having thier park smell like a sewer was NOT A GOOD THING!

And then there is the old "candy" smell on Main Street that triggers my memories, even if it smells like plastic Vannila....

My favorite now however is the Waffle Cones at the ice cream shop on Main Street. YUMMM.....:D

DwoernAdale
08-09-2002, 07:01 PM
Myself and my wife took our daughter to the local public pool, which abuts a large park field of grass. They happened to be mowing it that day, and the combination of chlorine and diesel from the lawnmowers prompted me to remark, 'Mmm, I just smelled Disneyland!"

She agreed:)

Good post idea, I always thought it was just me 'smelling' Disneyland in odd places.

Ace
08-09-2002, 07:07 PM
we're such geeks......... but anyway, back to the thread....

I'd pay for bottled Disneyland water and or smells. Not much... but I'd pay.

Kuzcotopia
08-09-2002, 10:29 PM
I can't believe no-one's posted this yet!

The Smell of the Hand Stamp!!!

I smell it immediately after I get it every time. It's the most Disneyland smell of them all.

I have an escalator at my work that smells exactly like the lift on Matterhorn. And there is a stairwell that has the soapy smell of Tomorrowland. The diesel truck smell always used to remind me of Disneyland, but it seems that the fuel on the new trams is different... not the same smell anymore.

lindyhop
08-12-2002, 07:08 PM
Riding the tram from the structure yesterday I really noticed the diesel smell and realized it's that "aroma" and the ride on the tram that gets me ready for my Disney experience. (Or maybe it's that snappy chatter from the RT CM? ;) )

RStar
08-13-2002, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by lindyhop
... and the ride on the tram that gets me ready for my Disney experience. (Or maybe it's that snappy chatter from the RT CM? ;) )

Sure, if they even say anything. Seems like more than half the time they say nothing, just turn on the recording. Or they say just the minimum. What ever happened to the days where some of the RTs were as much fun as Jungle Cruise skippers? (Not to change the thread subject, mind you;) ).