PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to see the Village People?

awinner
08-07-2002, 08:03 AM
i have been debating if i want to see them...i'm thinking about going on friday...but who knows. Are any of them from the original group, or have all of the original members gone to that great YMCA in the sky?

Not Afraid
08-07-2002, 08:26 AM
We're planning on going on Friday. No specifics beyond that yet.

If I remember correctly, there is only one original member of the VP left. But the group has been performing in this configuration for a while.

Anyone know more?

pixiepal
08-07-2002, 10:10 AM
I am going....not just to see them, will be there for the Tink event, but the VP are an extra added bonus! One of my first LP's I ever received was the Village People!! (from my grandmother, no less--she bought me that and the Grease soundtrack...man, my grandma was COOL!)
Anyway, I went to their official site, and I think only 2 of the guys are the originals.

SzczerbiakManiac
08-07-2002, 10:21 AM
According to http://www.villagepeople-official.com/ , David Hodo (construction worker), Alexander Briley (G.I.), Felipe Rose (indian), and Ray Simpson (cop) are still in the group and part of the Board of Directors of Sixuvus Ltd. (the Village People corporation). It was not clear to me if they are active performers or not.

I know that the original leather man, Glenn Hughes, passed away a few years ago. Per his request, he was buried in his leathers.

I believe Randy Jones (the original cowboy) is alive but no longer part of the group/organization. Check out http://www.randyjonesworld.com/ for more info on him.

I plan on being there this Friday. I'll try and make the 5:45 performance, but it depends on how bad traffic is from West LA. I may go again if the show is fun enough.

As a side note, I found it interesting that their official calendar http://www.villagepeople-official.com/calindx.htm does not list the VP's DCA appearances.

PXSgeek
08-07-2002, 04:26 PM
i was planning on going friday with my mom and aunt, i thought it would be less crowded:(
i guess ill go sunday, i can get to USH friday(my AP is up in september) this will be the FIRST time i go to USH in a year! and it the only year IVE HAD AN AP!!! im only going because my dad doesnt want it to be a "waste of money"

SzczerbiakManiac
08-08-2002, 07:38 AM
I'm sure I'll kick myself once I hear the answer, but what is "USH"? :confused:

awinner
08-08-2002, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by SzczerbiakManiac
I'm sure I'll kick myself once I hear the answer, but what is "USH"? :confused:

I think Universal Studios Hollywood

SzczerbiakManiac
08-10-2002, 11:26 PM
Ah, thanks awinner. :)

I saw both of their shows Friday night with some other MousePadders. The Veepers's (as David Hodo [construction worker] called them) were quite enjoyable! I wrote down the song list for the second set. It was almost the same as the first act, with a couple swap-outs. Below are the songs, in order. An asterisk indicates a song not done at the first performance: American Band
Macho Man
*You Take My Breath Away
San Francisco (You've Got Me) [1]
In Hollywood (Everyone is a Star) [1]
Trash Disco [2]
*Don't Leave Me This Way
In the Navy
YMCA [3][/list=1][list] [1] These songs were sort of "stitched" together. Almost like a medley, but each was intact.
[2] This was a medley of lots of disco hits from the 70s. (as if there were disco hits in any other decade)
[3] This included instructions on the correct way to perform the gestures. Most folks get the "Y" and "A" correct, but we were told the right way to make the "M" is with your elbows as high as you can get them and the tips of your flat hands touching each other at the center of your chest. Do NOT put your hands on top of your head ("that monkey thing!") or on your shoulders ("Joan Crawford")! The "C" should be done to your left, so viewers read the "C" correctly.
All in our party (and indeed, the rest of the crowd) seemed to have a great time at both shows. For those of us who remember them the first time around, this was a delightful trip down memory lane. And for the record, all of the original members I mentioned in my earlier post are indeed still performing. Jeff Olson now plays the Cowboy and Eric Anzalone plays the Leatherman. All the "aficionados of the male form" in our group agreed that Eric is quite a tasty piece of eye-candy! :cool:

If you can see them tonight (Sunday), I heartily recommend going. They seem to have a firm grasp on who and what they are and have fun with that. They sound great and have some nice choreography.

After the show they stayed for a short period to sign albums and other memorabilia people had brought. They couldn't sign them all because their boat was heading back (literally) and had to leave. So if you have an item to be autographed, "rush the stage" ASAP.

Did I mention the leatherman was hot? And did I mention that about halfway through he takes his (tight) shirt off and replaces it with an open vest? Yum!

Terri Pix
08-11-2002, 11:58 AM
We saw their first show on Friday and as much "fun" as it was going back in time, I am very glad that our two boys opted to ride Calif. Screamin' instead of watch the show. The show was very sexually explicit and was not appropriate for families with younger children. I was rather shocked that DCA did not ask them to tone down their show considering where they were. But then I guess nothing about Disney should shock me anymore.

Oh well...that's my two cents worth.

Gemini Cricket
08-11-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Terri Pix
The show was very sexually explicit and was not appropriate for families with younger children. I was rather shocked that DCA did not ask them to tone down their show considering where they were.
Can you give us any "G" rated details?

Terri Pix
08-11-2002, 01:49 PM
There was alot of crotch grabbing, pelvic thrusting and sexual joking. (Guess I really didn't know all the lyrics when I was singing them way back then!!) When one of them went to put a wind screen back on his mic, he made the comment "you think I'd have had enough practice putting these on".....I'll let you "picture" the rest. Little things like that. It would have been fine for an adult audience, but this was "Disneyland" and you would think you could escape from that kind of stuff there. I'm sure there were a lot of questions asked by kids to their parents when that show was over. I know my kids would have asked if they were there.

MonorailMan
08-11-2002, 02:57 PM
but this was "Disneyland"

Last time I checked, DCA is not Disneyland. :rolleyes:

But, DCA is still a family park.

Gemini Cricket
08-11-2002, 03:00 PM
There was alot of crotch grabbing, pelvic thrusting and sexual joking. (Guess I really didn't know all the lyrics when I was singing them way back then!!) When one of them went to put a wind screen back on his mic, he made the comment "you think I'd have had enough practice putting these on".....I'll let you "picture" the rest. Little things like that. It would have been fine for an adult audience, but this was "Disneyland" and you would think you could escape from that kind of stuff there. I'm sure there were a lot of questions asked by kids to their parents when that show was over. I know my kids would have asked if they were there.
That's lame. They should be a little more knowing of who their audience is. The Bangles were good. They censored themselves. They even changed lyrics to one of their songs.

Terri Pix
08-11-2002, 03:14 PM
I used "Disneyland" in quotes meaning DCA or DLR, it is still a "Disney" "land" and "Disney" place where family values used to mean something.

As I continue to read these discussions and research about "Disney" management, I am finding that Walt's dream is being turned into a farce.

Thanks for the support Gemini Crickett.

innerSpaceman
08-12-2002, 09:31 AM
I, too, was a bit surprised that the Village People antics were taking place at the Disneyland Resort. I did not find any of it either shocking or surprising (I realize that the VP are a group from way, way back, but I think anyone not living under a rock would have an inkling of the general tone to be expected). No, I was simply surprised, and happily so, that Disney would give the go-ahead for this performance in California. (Disney's near legendary prudishness has long been busted at certain areas of their Florida resort).

The show was a hoot, lots of fun, hysterical memories, and yes, SzczerbiakManiac, the leatherman was yummy.