PDA

View Full Version : Mickey's PhilharMagic coming to DCA?

Disnfan
08-06-2002, 10:19 PM
I post this in my website and another board.. I think is useful:

I got some new tidbits on this project (from an animator working in it!) - a new 3D extravaganza to be open at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom in 2003 and the upcoming Hong Kong Disneyland. First is that some people are very excited about the results. The classic characters have new life been animated in 3D/CGI. One curious info is that Disney is studing plans to bring "Mickey's PhillharMagic" to the Hollywood Pictures Backlot area to improve "Disney's California Adventure" theme park. No official info but is supposedly in consideration.
The point is: The suits wants the cheaper and faster way to IMPROVE Disney's California Adventure... so they are studing (no official word yet) to clone PhilharMagic. For them, Disneyland is OK and DCA is the emergency. Time will tell!

Nigel2
08-06-2002, 10:22 PM
Hmmmm... is it just on a movie screen? If so it could go into the screening room in the annimation building, or if they are up to it, (if they aren't going to change Hollywood and Dine) gut H and D and turn it into that attraction.

Disnfan
08-06-2002, 10:30 PM
There's a problem: the screen is 150-foot-wide canvas!

---------

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Disney magic meets Disney music in a new 3-D film spectacular debuting in 2003 at the Magic Kingdom Park in Walt Disney World®Resort.
"Mickey's PhilharMagic" will star Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and other favorite Disney characters animated in a way they've never before been seen: grand, glorious, in-your-face three dimensions.

"We're really excited about this new attraction," said Al Weiss, president of Walt Disney World Resort. "Guests love the Disney characters and films, and this gives them the chance to take a magical ride right into the world of Disney animation."

The "Mickey's PhilharMagic" cast will include Mickey and Donald, as well as Ariel from "The Little Mermaid," Aladdin and Jasmine from "Aladdin" and Simba from "The Lion King."

Set in the PhilharMagic Concert Hall, which replaces "Legend of the Lion King" in Fantasyland, the eye-popping 3-D experience will unfold on one of the largest screens ever created for a 3-D film, a 150-foot-wide canvas.

Complete with in-theater effects, the attraction will immerse guests in the richly animated world of the Disney characters. The Walt Disney Company has experimented with animating the Disney characters in 3-D before, most notably in "Working for Peanuts," a 1953 Donald Duck/Chip 'n' Dale cartoon short, but never on a scale as grand as "Mickey's PhilharMagic." The attraction is being produced through the combined efforts of Walt Disney Imagineering and Walt Disney Feature Animation.

"We're always exploring ways to take 3-D to the next level," said Tom Fitzgerald, executive vice president and senior creative executive at Walt Disney Imagineering. "From 'Jim Henson's Muppet*Vision 3D' to 'Honey, I Shrunk the Audience' to 'It's Tough to be a Bug!', we keep looking for new ways to allow guests to become a part of the action and story.

" 'Mickey's PhilharMagic' will be the most animated, energetic and magical 3-D show we've ever created!"

The show will have extensive in-theater effects - including a motion base floor to the theater, changing sets, in-theater props, fog and fibre-optics. FASTPASS will also be added to the show.

Nigel2
08-06-2002, 10:42 PM
Wow, that's big.... I wonder how wide (in the very unlikely chance they try it) the Hollywood and dine building is?:D

sydney
08-06-2002, 10:43 PM
well, though I might eat my words when I'm sick of seeing the same 3d movie a gadgillion times, I can't help but think it sounds fun...

merlinjones
08-07-2002, 06:56 AM
Sounds like "Mickey's Philharmagic" is the perfect thing to replace the inappropriate and unpopular propoganda film "Golden Dreams" in that nice Palace of the Arts building (which already boasts a huge screen).

JeffG
08-07-2002, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by merlinjones
Sounds like "Mickey's Philharmagic" is the perfect thing to replace the inappropriate and unpopular propoganda film "Golden Dreams" in that nice Palace of the Arts building (which already boasts a huge screen).

Two big problems with that:

1. The screen in that theater is nowhere near 150 feet wide and the building likely isn't large enough for that size screen.

2. "Mickey's Philharmagic" would be completely and totally out of theme in that area.

If at all possible, I think they should strongly consider building a new theater for this attraction in Toontown. That is where it would theme the best and it would add another major attraction in a land that really needs it. DCA does not need additional movie attractions.

-Jeff

Darkbeer
08-07-2002, 11:07 AM
The two possible locations for the show at DCA is the Millionaire building, and the Muppets building, both have enough width (You would have to remove the Muppets pre show area).

As for DL, they would more than likely would have to build a new building in the TDA area behind Toontown (The Music rehearsal hall is what most people think would be the best location, but can you take over the space (territoral battles) and would Disney want to spend the money for a new show bulilding, plus the new access walkway to gain access to the building??????

As for theme, since the Animation Building is already in the Hollywood area, it matches what currently offered... and if it replaces Muppets, what is the difference between the two???? I personally don't think that Muppets matches the current theme.....

LIMANDL4EVA
08-07-2002, 08:05 PM
i would only be interested if it had BRAND NEW types of effects, not the same, ooo wow that smells, or ooo wow water sprayed in my face, but someting amazing.

besides there are areleady THREE yes 3 3D sho[ws in the resort, do we REALLY need a fourth when it will most likely be about the same as ITTBAB

coronamouseman
08-08-2002, 06:22 AM
JeffG: Agree with you on this one - this attraction belongs in Disneyland and could go either where the current stage is next to the Toontown RR station or could go over in the area behind BTM (with an entrance through Fantasyland)

Just because DCA needs stuff doesn't mean it should get everything new ...........

justagrrl
08-08-2002, 07:47 AM
Already 3 of them - would a 4th one really be all that great? I mean - I like the idea of it and all - but given a choice between that or a different sort of attraction...

...it just seems like they could (and should) mix it up a bit. The way I see - it - the place has 1 "real" roller coaster. yeah - MM - but I can't help but see that as a fair or adventure city kind of thing. I mean - a big draw sort of coaster. Like the rockin roller coaster thingie. If they were to build that - I'll bet they bring in a ton of new visitors.

Disnfan
08-08-2002, 10:23 AM
PhilharMagic update: The moving floor for the PhilharMagic project was cut some time back. Not entirely a budget move, it was just not really needed for the show.

WDWalways
08-08-2002, 11:05 AM
I can understand the opinions of those who do not want or feel the need for a 4th 3-D Movie attraction -- having 4 between 2 parks with 1 park having 3 of the 4 is a little too much. WDW has the same 3 DLR has now and once WDW gets this 4th one there will be one per park so it won't seem as bad.

Frees
08-08-2002, 11:09 AM
Question: Has Disney ever done an all CGI, all 3D movie before?

I can take It's Tough to Be a Bug with doses of 3D thrown in here and there, but I went to an all 3D CGI presentation shown on an IMAX screen, and I can sum it up in one word: HEADACHE

Now, this was roughly 2 years ago, and it was being billed as the first time something like it had been done, so it's possible that the technique has been improved and smoothed out, but I think I'll have my Tylenol handy, just in case.

WDWalways
08-08-2002, 11:13 AM
You gotta figure that the IMAX movie you saw and the Disney attraction will be totally different lengths --- maybe 20 mintes give or take of a Disney version will be ok on your eyes and not give you a headache.

Frees
08-08-2002, 11:19 AM
The one I saw was only about 20 minutes long. It was pretty cool for the first 5 minutes or so, but then it just wasn't fun anymore.

Also, you didn't wear normal 3D viewing glasses because of the width of the screen, but what looked like steel welding helmets to catch your peripheral vision as well.

We'll just have to wait and see if this is the same type of thing Disney is working on or something different.