PDA

View Full Version : closest airport to Disneyland

Krispe
08-06-2002, 03:48 PM
Hi, we usually drive to Disneyland from San Francisco. This time we're thinking of flying. What is the closest airport to Disneyland? Also, once at the airport, what is the best transportation to the Disney hotel?

THANKS SOOOO MUCH!:D

MammaSilva
08-06-2002, 03:55 PM
in miles, the closest airport is the John Wayne ....it's about 10 miles give or take from the resort ... transportation from the airport to the hotel depends on several factors, are you planning to do anything besides the resort, how many are traveling...how much convience over cost is important....

Krispe
08-06-2002, 03:59 PM
Hi, nah this trip is strictly Disney. So when we get there, we'll just stay in the resort area. Thanks!

coronamouseman
08-06-2002, 04:06 PM
John Wayne is closest, Ontario and LAX are about the same distance but Ontario is far nicer and easier to get in and out of than the big LAX mess .........

Take a look at Travelocity or some other web travel site to see where you can get best fares - LAX and/or Ontario are usually less expensive than JW

MammaSilva
08-06-2002, 04:06 PM
if it is one or two of you I'd recommend a shuttle since that is a per person fare, if there are 3 of you then I'd take a cab since that is a flat rate and will hold up to four people , it was about 40 bucks from the airport to the DLR hotel including tip when we did it last year, but so worth the time saving/hassle....I've never done the bus thing so can't compare how that works to the Vans or taxi ride

Krispe
08-07-2002, 09:44 AM
mammasilva,

Thanks a bunch! So how long was the taxi ride from the airport? Well so far it's only 4 of us debating if we are going to fly. The whole group total that will be at Disneyland is about 10. This will be our first group trip there and I'm very much looking forward to it!

Thanks again!:D

roberts1398
08-07-2002, 10:20 AM
krispe,

I'd be sure and check Southwest flying out of Oakland to both Orange County and Ontario. I recently saw a special of $19 (I think -- somewhere between 19-29) from Oakland to Ontario, and $39 each way from Oakland to Orange County.

One thing to look at, tho, is the difference in cab/shuttle fare. I dunno how much the cab fare is from Ontario (I'll bet if you call the concierge at DLH they can tell you), but I checked on Super Shuttle. It was $8 per person each way from Orange Co., but $20 per person each way from Ontario, so that might eat up the savings.

Minnie1955
08-07-2002, 10:21 AM
Hi Krispe, I'm from the bay area too :) Anyways, John Wayne's the closest airport to DL. That's where we'd always go.. then we'd take super shuttle to our hotel. That cost about $10 per person one-way and it was a very very short ride. We never had trouble waiting for a shuttle, but then we'd always go in the off-season.

roberts1398
08-07-2002, 10:23 AM
http://www.iflyswa.com is their site... actually I think the Oakland to Orange Co. fare may be even less than $39... That was the fare I got from Sacto...

51 days and counting!

Krispe
08-07-2002, 10:26 AM
Minnie1955,
HI Fellow Bay Area neighbor!! Thanks for the response! Yeah, the air fares seem so good right now to fly down there. Do we need to reserve the shuttle before hand? Or is it pretty much like catching a cab?

Also thanks a bunch roberts1398, everyones been sooo helpful! I love these chat rooms!!:D

Minnie1955
08-07-2002, 10:30 AM
we never made a reservation, but like I said, we'd go in the off-season when it wasn't very busy at all. You might want to make one just in case.... after all, it wouldn't hurt :) You do need to make a reservation for when you want them to pick you up from the hotel though :) Have fun!!!

Pat-n-Eil
08-07-2002, 10:40 AM
I've used all 3 airports from Sacramento - but with a family of four, we've found that driving (about 7 hours) is almost as fast.

You can't take Southwest from Sacramento to John Wayne Airport. It would be great if you could, but your only choices are Ontario (the shuttle took forever to get to Disneyland) and LAX (rented a car and still took 90 minutes to get to DLR). America West goes there from here, but not Southwest. :(

These days, when you have to arrive 2 hours early at the airport because of terrorism precautions, it equals out (30 minutes to airport/2 hour wait/1.5 hour flight/1 hour bags & rental car/1.5 hour drive to DLR = 7 hrs!) almost the same as driving - and paying $7/day long term parking.

Sorry - got off the track there.. If you can get to John Wayne Airport (Orange County) from where you are, that's definitely the closest and easiest to Disneyland.

roberts1398
08-07-2002, 10:53 AM
Oh, contraire, dear Pat&Eil ... I have tickets in my possession for a direct flight from Sacto to John Wayne -- non-stop. Check out iflyswa.com for yourself! Must be a new thing. There are only a few flights a day, but it's there.

Now if they just had a direct flight to Boise...

And with America West, there were no non-stops...

hbquikcomjamesl
08-07-2002, 11:37 AM
There's also Long Beach Municipal Airport, but it's of no help if you're traveling from Northern California. Probably a nice place to fly into from Chicago, New York, or Phoenix, though. Looks a lot like the way Wayne used to look, before they built that gigantic eyesore of a terminal building (big enough for an airport twice the size) and added jetway service (I like boarding ladders!).

Iceman
08-07-2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
(I like boarding ladders!).

Fly on up to San Jose, then! It has to be the most inadequate, outdated airport supporting such a hug metro area in the entire country. I agree with you that boarding ladders are fun at little out-of-the-way airports, though!

Darkbeer
08-07-2002, 01:35 PM
A new option is Jet Blue out of Long Beach...

This Airport, while a little bit farther out than JW, is closer than LAX, and is the easiest airport to get in and out of, with very little flights, their is no waits!!

http://www.jetblue.com/

And with fares starting at $29 each way from the bay area, it might be a better option...

roberts1398
08-07-2002, 01:39 PM
I hadn't even heard of Jet Blue, Darkbeer! Thanks for the info. Doesn't help me from Sac, but my folks live in the Bay Area and my little Sis goes to CSULB, so I've sent them the site. Thanks!

hbquikcomjamesl
08-07-2002, 03:19 PM
A new option is Jet Blue out of Long Beach...
Yes. So new, Jet Blue isn't even flying that route yet; it's barely been announced.

I agree with you that boarding ladders are fun at little out-of-the-way airports, though!
Back when Wayne was still using the late lamented Eddie Martin Terminal, it was sort of a given that any aircraft flying in or out of the place would (1) have at least one, and possibly several, built-in boarding ladders, and (2) would board and deplane passengers through all available port-side hatches (starboard hatches were still reserved for service crews), as well as the "beavertail" on a DC-9.

Remember when the late, lamented Air California was still flying, and had three Lockheed Electras (the L-188 turbofan Electra, not the earlier Electra that Amelia Earhart flew) still in its fleet?

Pat-n-Eil
08-07-2002, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by roberts1398
Oh, contraire, dear Pat&Eil ... I have tickets in my possession for a direct flight from Sacto to John Wayne -- non-stop....

I stand corrected. My only explanation is that this must be new service - because I know I've checked before on several occasions and there was no such flight.

Still - it would cost me almost $500 for my family of four just for round trip air fare.. I think I'll still be driving, but that is definitely good information.

roberts1398
08-08-2002, 08:44 AM
Yep. Probably a recent change. And I'm with you. If I were traveling with my whole family (2 adults and 4 kids), I'd definitely be driving (although I'll bet by the end of the drive full of bickering, are we there yet's, and he's on my side of the seat's, I'd be wishing I'd worked some OT to pay for the airfare, LOL)

But this trip is just me and my son, and besides was a b-day gift from his grandparents, so not my $$$ to worry about, LOL!!! 50 days and counting... HOORAY! Tomorrow, it'll be in the 40's!!!

hbquikcomjamesl
08-08-2002, 09:05 AM
There's also Amtrak's Coast Starlight. True, it's an all-day trip each way if you're coming from Sacramento or the Bay Area, but it's also one of the most scenic trips, and:
1. The food is excellent,
2. The coach seats are like first class seats on an airliner, and
3. You aren't confined to your seat: you can get up and move around.

And if you're coming from, say, Santa Barbara or closer, or from San Diego, you've also got the option of taking the Surfliner, which stops at Edison Field, and runs several times a day.