PDA

View Full Version : Before or after [Christmas?]

sherry
12-01-2007, 06:15 AM
As a grandparent I don't want to be selfish and bring my grandchildren at Christmas and rob the parents of their time, but they want to come during the holidays and see the lights . What would be best come before the 25th or after the 25th (2008) as far as the crowds are concerned , and how far ahead can , and should I make reservations?

Sue Holland
12-01-2007, 09:07 AM
Absolutely BEFORE the 25th - as far before as you can get them there. You'll have all the holiday stuff but no crowds at all during the first 2-3 weeks of December. The week leading up to Christmas starts getting very busy (longer lines for everything). The week 12/25 through 12/31 is a nightmare - the single busiest week of the year. You will literally see waits in excess of 60 minutes...over 150-200 minutes for big attractions like Soarin'. Thanksgiving weekend is much less crowded (although quite busy), and the wait for Soarin' was 115 minutes even late in the day.

DoodleMushyBoo
12-01-2007, 01:33 PM
As a grandparent I don't want to be selfish and bring my grandchildren at Christmas and rob the parents of their time, but they want to come during the holidays and see the lights . What would be best come before the 25th or after the 25th (2008) as far as the crowds are concerned , and how far ahead can , and should I make reservations?

We went last year for new years eve and stayed for a bit after. It got quiet right away (well after the marathon) but the lights don't stay up very long and you lose the feeling. . . We want to go next December the second week in december. . . i think that truly is the best time to go :) Maybe we'll see you there!

sherry
12-02-2007, 03:55 AM
We are going to try to economize if we go at Christmas. We splurge in the summer and stay at a deluxe . If the reports are right everyone says the POFQ is the moderate place to stay. The Swan & Dolphin have a web site I signed up for and they have some really good prices but fill up pretty fast. Is there a time limit as to how far I can call in advance for reservations? Some timers are saying a year or more in advance.

Drince88
12-02-2007, 04:21 AM
I'm pretty sure you can make reservations now for next December. Disney releases the rates in August or so for the next calendar year.

POFQ is fairly popular around here (though if you read a bunch of threads, you'll find proponents of just about every moderate) - but part of why I like POFQ is the smaller size - which means it sells out sooner and often doesn't have discounted rates available for that resort. And if you book now and a discount comes out that meets your requirements, you can apply that discount (you have to call to get it) - IF there's availability for the discount during your visit.

danyoung
12-02-2007, 05:32 AM
If the reports are right everyone says the POFQ is the moderate place to stay.

Well, not everyone. I'm a moderate person, and all the moderate resorts are nice in their own way. There's nothing at all wrong with POFQ, but my favorite by far is the Coronado Springs Resort.