PDA

View Full Version : Verandah Rooms and Toddlers

Dlandmom
08-05-2002, 09:03 AM
Okay, here comes paranoid mom again...are the verandahs open, in that an inquisitive child could climb over the railings and fall? I'm thinking about a WDW/cruise vacation maybe in a year or so, and I know that by then my daughter will really be into the "climbing, exploring, getting into more trouble than she already is" phase.

JeffG
08-05-2002, 10:55 AM
The verandahs have fairly tall, plexiglass barriers. I recall that it was about chest height for me and I'm 6'2" tall. I still wouldn't recommend allowing a toddler to be out on the verandah unattended, but it should be safe to get a verandah room.

-Jeff

HTHBellcaptain
08-05-2002, 07:32 PM
I would suggest getting one of the rooms on the 2nd deck that has a porthole. That way you wouldn't have to worry about. The portholes are actually large and offer a great view. The rooms are just as big as the cabins with varandahs. If you want fresh air, you can go up to the 4th deck and lounge on one of the deck chairs.

julia
08-06-2002, 03:56 PM
Hello!

I have to agree with Jeff about the verandahs being safe, but not letting angel babies out on the balcony without a very close watch. Disney is so very conscientious about keeping children safe (with all of the safety checks on the children's programs, for instance) that I can't imagine that they would create verandahs on their ships that would pose anything more than the most minimal risk.

You might want to consider doing a Category 7, which is a Deluxe Stateroom with Navigator's Verandah. This balcony is enclosed and decorated with nautical and navigation decor (compass, clock) and leaving only a large rectangle-shaped viewing point for the ocean.

Best Regards,
Julia

Dlandmom
08-07-2002, 10:14 AM
Thanks! The verandah rooms do sound really nice...and I figured it wouldn't be THAT dangerous for kids. I was just thinking about that one time that she gets out of my sight...and with her always wanting to climb...hopefully we'll have done our job by then and reinforced the notion that climbing on chairs is not safe! Thanks again.