PDA

View Full Version : SAP to purchase pins?????

MammaSilva
08-05-2002, 09:28 AM
Just finished reading AVP's article on the new pin shop/trading policies et al....and I have to now wonder if I am going to have to go get an SAP to be able to purchase pins? Both Brandy and I are severly allergic to what ever is in that ink they use at the exit gates that make the stamps "invisible" unless you have a black light, I refuse to have my arm or hers blistered simply to purchase a few pins.....so what is the alternative? A special assistance pass?

cstephens
08-05-2002, 02:24 PM
That's a really good question, one I hadn't thought of. The wait for pins itself was incredible, and even if I'd wanted to, I wouldn't have waited in that line. But I wouldn't have been able to stand in line that long, and I certainly wasn't going to rent a wheelchair just to be in line for hours.

I don't think the SAP works for merchandising lines, but that's not something I've ever thought of. On the one hand, I can see why it would be a good idea for those who can't stand in line for long periods of time. On the other hand, I can see how that can lead to even more abuses by people getting SAPs when they don't need it. If they could implement a regular voucher system (the times they've used that when I've been there, it's worked really well), that would solve the situation.

As for the invisible stamp, I think it's a good idea on the one hand, and I can see the problems on the other hand, and I hadn't even though about allergies. Even yesterday, it wasn't until we'd gotten to the last place where we needed to buy a pin that the CM asked to see our armstamps. When we looked at him blankly, he explained to us what every location should have done, and he was amazed when we told him that he was the first person to even mention the stamp, much less use it.

BTW, I've posted a recounting of our day involving the pins on this other thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=127453#post127453).

JeffG
08-05-2002, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
As for the invisible stamp, I think it's a good idea on the one hand, and I can see the problems on the other hand, and I hadn't even though about allergies.

Ok, I have to ask... Which hand is ok to stamp, the left or the right? :)

-Jeff

Matterhorn Fan
08-05-2002, 03:21 PM
Ugh . . . stupid new pin policies.

If they do try to put this "arm-stamp" thing into practice, what's to stop a person from going to the bathroom and immediately washing it off?

My guess, though, is that the CMs are going to hear so many complaints about this policy that few of them will attempt to enforce it. Yeah, it would be nice to find a way to keep those few pin traders from buying all of the LEs, but I think this is going a bit too far. Talk about punishing everyone because of a few bad seeds.

Going to great lengths to keep us from spending our money is a pretty good assessment of what they're doing.

I'm not too worried about it, though. This policy will most likely die soon. And if it doesn't, pin trading will die instead. Either way, we won't have to worry about bringing soap with us to the parks to wash off the toxic arm-stamps.

Traci
08-05-2002, 03:58 PM
I stood in that line for well over 4 hours, and they had the set up for this pin thing ALL WRONG! I was amazed at how unorganized Disney was for this event. I couldn't believe it, and I still can't believe I waited in that line all that time. I've never waited 4 hours in line for anything in my life. Ok, well maybe at the DMV....but I don't even think I've waited 4 hours there, ok maybe 3.

Anyhoo, as far as SAP I did notice there were many people in wheelchairs and those mobile cart thingy's in the same line too, so I doubt SAP would work.

As far as the stamp, well I got one, and my friend who was with me didn't. I guess it all depends on which CM actually remembers to do it. I could understand how they could forget, because it is such a new program. And also, I was speaking with a lady who was there the previous day (Saturday) and she was stamped that day, took a shower Sunday morning and still her stamps showed up that day when purchasing her new pins. So, therefore, I think that the simple solution of soap and water does not work. I'd love it if I had a black light around the house or something just to see if I still had my stamp, cause I also took a shower this morning, and now my curiousity is getting the better of me.

cyberRoo
08-05-2002, 04:11 PM
There is actually a fairly straightforward technology solution that could be implemented, and I'm really surprised that it hasn't been. In the same way that the fastpass system knows whether you are holding a fastpass for Indy based on your admission media, a system could be implemented that knows whether you've already purchased today's super-dooper limited edition pin. Which could actually be cool, because then it could potentially limit you to two of the super-dooper pin ever, not just in a given day.

Granted, any solution can be abused, and I'd be a little iffy about Disney knowing how many pins I bought today - but they already know how many times you rode BTM, so it's a pretty small step...

In the meantime, it's going to get ugly.

Traci
08-05-2002, 04:46 PM
I see your point CybeRoo, but I'm sure Disney wanted to do this event premier the less expensive way out, thus resulting in the invisible ink and simple Mickey head stamp. he he he :D

adriennek
08-05-2002, 04:47 PM
Just to clarify:

In reading Mammasilva's original post, she never mentioned the SAP in relation to having to stand in line, just as a concern about the ink in the stamps.

Adrienne K

cstephens
08-05-2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by JeffG
Ok, I have to ask... Which hand is ok to stamp, the left or the right? :)

Now, I know you've got better things to do than harass me. Oh, wait, but you've gotta have some fun too, right? Rats.

Originally posted by cyberRoo
There is actually a fairly straightforward technology solution that could be implemented, and I'm really surprised that it hasn't been. In the same way that the fastpass system knows whether you are holding a fastpass for Indy based on your admission media, a system could be implemented that knows whether you've already purchased today's super-dooper limited edition pin. Which could actually be cool, because then it could potentially limit you to two of the super-dooper pin ever, not just in a given day.

Good idea generally, but three problems I see with this:

1. There are far fewer fastpass attractions than there are limited edition pins. They'd have to input each LE pin into the system. The system would have to know how many of each pin you've purchased.

2. The "limit of 2" rule is per day, I believe, so it would also have to track when you purchased a particular pin.

3. They'd have to have the LE pins only available at select locations, or they'd have to install a system in each station and pin cart that can track all the information.

Sounds like a lot of money to spend. Now, if they could just get people to follow the rules, there'd be no problem...

MammaSilva
08-05-2002, 09:40 PM
just as AdrienneK pointed out, it isn't the wait in line that I am concerned with, the one and only time we waited in line for pins was on Walts birthday, I'm not that fanatical about collecting/trading, but at the same time I am not going to let them put something on my skin or Brandys that will result in blisters and pain and potential infection and soap and scrubbing does NOT always get that off our skin the few times I've been "forced" to have a hand stamp to re enter the park....now I've learned that all I have to do for re entry is to insist they call a lead if the CM refuses to believe us, thank goodness the policy change for AP holders, it's one of the biggest reason we have AP's even tho we live 8 hours away

dsnyredhead
08-05-2002, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by cstephens

Now, I know you've got better things to do than harass me. Oh, wait, but you've gotta have some fun too, right? Rats.

JeffG always has time to harass cstephens. :D