PDA

View Full Version : [Bring back] the Peoplemover [or Rocket Rods?]

noplacebuthome
11-27-2007, 03:30 AM
If you had the chance to bring back a ride in Tomorrowland would you bring back the Peoplemover or Rocket Rods.

oregontraveler
11-27-2007, 03:48 AM
Save the Peoplemover, save the world.

backsthepack
11-27-2007, 04:04 AM
The People Mover. Never liked the Rockets.

princessy777
11-27-2007, 06:37 AM
People mover for sure!

rokketride
11-27-2007, 07:52 AM
Peoplemover

Drince88
11-27-2007, 08:28 AM
If they could get it working in a reliable fashion, Rocket Rods. My theory being, in part, that I like different attractions in California and Florida, and Florida's Peoplemover is still working in original mode! (Plus I never got to try the Rocket Rods)

anbjacobs
11-27-2007, 08:29 AM
I'd bring back the Peoplemover for sure! Loved kicking up my feet and relaxing for a bit

Barb

CV12Pirate
11-27-2007, 08:52 AM
PeopleMover

MrsPooh
11-27-2007, 09:09 AM
I was never a big fan of the Peoplemover, but I'd rather see that than the Rocket Rods.

And, better than nothing at all up there on those tracks. They looks so sad and overgrown with vegetation. :crying:

Bolivar
11-27-2007, 09:37 AM
The Rocket Rods were pretty lame but I know this is blasphemous to say but I think the People Mover was too. But worse than either is having those tracks sit empty. I wish something, anything would be put on there.

I actually think it would be fun to have a ramp from the autopia track up to there and have it be part of the autopia circuit.

Christyvoltron
11-27-2007, 09:51 AM
Peoplemover. It was one of my favorite rides. Now we have to go all the way to Florida to ride.

MrsPooh
11-27-2007, 09:53 AM
The Rocket Rods were pretty lame but I know this is blasphemous to say but I think the People Mover was too.

No, I'm right there with you, Bolivar! ;)

V.I.N.CENT.
11-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Peoplemover. It had the only Tron reference in the park :(

Another Dimension
11-27-2007, 11:50 AM
Peoplemover

Give Tony Baxter a half a dozen more years or so... he's trying to return the PM in some form, most likely nowhere close to the look of the old version though.

Rocket Rods.

I don't miss 'em at all ... and if I had the choice, I'd never bring them back.

IMO it was a lame ride, it was over-hyped as a 'ground-breaking thrill ride', it was half-done looking and then promoted as a 'prototype' to justify it's lack of completion, it had lame theming, it had lame vehicles, it had a mostly lame painfully slow-moving queue, it featured some really lame on-ride FX in the tunnels, it had lame sounds, all the Web rumors about them and the DL attraction upgrades were lame (banked turns would be budgeted eventually, the rods were to be upgraded to be 'glowing rods' with neon tubes attached, eventually the one cheapo 'glowing rod' that had glow tape applied, etc)... and I felt lame on them.

:|

darph nader
11-28-2007, 04:29 PM
People mover for sure,complete with 'cheesy' 60s music.:rolleyes:

RocketTom
11-28-2007, 07:25 PM
Neither. Do what should have been installed instead of the Rocket Rods: GM Test Track. Bank the curves, extend it around the place - this would be a sure winner.

Bytebear
11-28-2007, 08:50 PM
Neither. Do what should have been installed instead of the Rocket Rods: GM Test Track. Bank the curves, extend it around the place - this would be a sure winner.

That would be wonderful, but the structure could never handle the stress.

Baloo
11-28-2007, 09:27 PM

they are both basically the same track system. They were also built during the same time and ironically testracks delays in construction caused GM to pull out of spnsoring rocket rods which then caused the cutbacks to the enhanced tracks and special effects.

Testrack basically caused the death of rocket rods

Splashfan
11-28-2007, 10:04 PM
Even when the Rocket Rods were working, the wait was too long and the ride too short......Peoplemover!

potzbie
11-29-2007, 12:23 AM
It might be interesting to have a NEW ride.

How about a MINI-SIZED MONRAIL?

Because of the slow speed, the cabin could have a multi-media surround-sound environment.

Hey! While we're at it, make 'em spin like teacups, too!

Jon
11-29-2007, 01:35 AM
I just want the Skyway back. :crying:

Another Dimension
11-29-2007, 01:51 AM
The PM in some form will return to DL. Sooner or later.
:)

In Tony Baxter We Trust.

A slow moving, looped, one entrance/one exit transportation ssytem, with show theming added. Soundtrack, tunnels FX, etc will return.
In some form.

Test Track is basically scheduled to be built and open in DCA before 2012 and called Radiator Springs Racers. So DL doesn't also need their own version, which also won't have a thrilling drop, like TDS got.
But it's Test Track Ver. 4 and it's supposed to also have Indy/Dinosaur ECV-type movement to simulate track terrain.

There is in no way enough room in TL for anything with as large a scope as a real attempt at a Test Track-type attaction, the beam supports and the buildings in TL wouldn't last a week with any actual speed from a ride vehicle on that beam.

Has any Home-Imagineer ever really thought about how shockingly BAD the view into Tomorrowland would look from the Hub if the PM/Rods tracks into and out of the ATIS/Star Tours building and into and out of the CircleVision/Buzz building would actually look... if the turns were banked enough to take them at a decent speed?

OMG!

The ultimate weenie barrier.
:eek:

Just be patient a few more years, Tony is working on some concepts.
:cool:

RocketTom
11-30-2007, 10:46 AM
I dunno. I think what I was originally thinking with the Test Track idea was -- why use the existing track? It's designed for a slower ride, so that it would have no way of being able to support a fast vehicle speed with major latteral stresses. Why not rethink it?

(Now I'm *completely* ignoring the financials on this, just dreaming.)

Take the wasted space currently used with Innoventions, make that the dark part of the Test Track area. Have the cars shoot out to make their loops either through the buildings, above them, or around them. *Add* Test Track.

I'm from the older days where there was a LOT to do in Tomorrowland. It would take up an entire day for a kid like me. Nowadays, it's a 1/3 day (except for the wait for Finding Nemo :p )

OK, the idea of combining the Cars and test track together is a great idea. The genre works. And the area around DCA is appropriate. I know that they have to balance out the two parks. But even folks who are not familiar with Disneyland's past layout question "Is this all there is?" when wandering around Tomorroland. That part of the park has a lot of wasted space that can be put to good use.

Putting in a People Mover ride would be, imho, a big step backwards. I mean it IS called Tomorrowland, right? Why not see what the imagineers can think of for transportation of the future. Fast or slow or whatever - I'm sure they've got some great ideas.

With Disney's checkered past decisions, the only thing I can trust is that corporate management will do whatever they think will generate the best return of value for the money spent. I do think that the current management realizes that the best return is tied to the best guest experience (vs. what the guest will spend). But management doesn't last forever, and neither do business plans. We'll see........