PDA

View Full Version : Disney on a budget

babytrey2000
08-04-2002, 05:10 AM
My husband and I are going to Disneyland at the end of September (no kids, WE are the kids). We want to have a good time, but not come back and take out a second mortgage. Does anyone know of a grocery store nearby that we could buy yogurt for breakfast and a few snacks to help us through the day? We plan to eat at several of the restuarants in DL, but a churro here and there gets $$ after a few days. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

MammaSilva
08-04-2002, 07:32 AM
before anyone can answer this ??? we need to know 1) are you driving and 2) where are you staying....there are several major grocery stores in the area and which one is closest/easiest depends on those answers......

mad4mky
08-04-2002, 11:38 AM
I know that the locals will help you better than I can...
But there is a Food for Less right down the street on Katella, going towards Buena Park. We shopped there a couple times...

(we own a time share, so we try to buy food and eat at the condo a lot to save on money...)

Darkbeer
08-04-2002, 12:02 PM
The Food4Less is the closest in mileage to the DLR (basically a mile east of the resort) and in fact is the "lowest" priced major supermarket chain in Southern California (It is operated by the Kroger Company, which also operated Ralphs).

http://www.food4less1.com/db_search/locator.cgi?setup_file=locator_zoom.setup&type=&file_type=y&phone=7145397497&submit_search=zoom_search

Now, with the new ART system, they might be a hotel on the route that goes down Harbor that might get you close to a supermarket, but since the system is new, and I can't locate a map of their system (Though when I was at the resort recently, I checked out the sign that had all the hotels listed on it, they even included the Park Vue:p )

But if you are not staying at a hotel next to the DLR, other supermarket could be closer, so knowing where you are staying, and your mode of transportation are important

julia
08-05-2002, 08:03 AM
Hi!

Aren't second childhoods the best? :-)

If you are looking for a good grocery store, do try Albertsons - there are just tons of them in Southern California. They are just everywhere, the stores are clean (so are the restrooms!), they have a lot of specialty foods, the prices are reasonable - just great!

My favorite trick for eating out on vacation is to go to the fancy upscale restaurants for lunch and not for dinner. In most cases, the menus are exactly identical, but the prices are much less expensive on the lunch menu. Then, I just nibble for dinner - get a frozen yogurt, for instance.

I also to try to stay at a hotel with breakfast included, if possible. I find that a good, hearty breakfast keeps me from needing too much to eat through the rest of the day. Even if I don't have a breakfast included with my room, I always get up a bit earlier and have a bowl of oatmeal.

Have a great trip - all the best!

:) Julia

babytrey2000
08-05-2002, 08:58 PM
Thank you everyone for your information. We have a car and it seems as if it will be pretty simple to get to a store for some snacks and easy meals. Your help is appreciated.:)

merlinjones
08-05-2002, 09:21 PM
Go over to The Block at Orange about two miles way (South on 5 Fwy, exit The City Drive, turn right). There are alot of tasty lower-priced food options there - - including my favorite: Rubio's Fish Tacos and the ever evil and edible Krispy Kreme Doughnuts!

MouseWife
08-05-2002, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by babytrey2000
Thank you everyone for your information. We have a car and it seems as if it will be pretty simple to get to a store for some snacks and easy meals. Your help is appreciated.:)

If you are driving~

What we do on our trips, we do every trip on a budget. You get more trips that way. ;) Anywho. We have a big cooler. It is an old Colemans but we also have the same sized one but not metal. We put in block ice on the bottom. Then, we use tupperware containers to keep lunch meats, cheeses, condiments and of course, milk. In plastic water tight containers, all of it. If
there is room, we put in sodas. On top of it all we pour a bag or two of ice cubes.

This becomes most of our meals. The milk is for cereal for breakfast, or even cookies and milk before bed. We eat out once a day on our trips. Otherwise it would be outrageous.

We also keep smaller coolers, the six pack kind, with sodas and ice. This we keep up in the front of the van so that whom ever is thirsty, voila! Depending on the length of your trip, that is how much sodas, juices, water you bring.

You can carry the cooler into your room, or, unless your room isn't handy, we also use one of the hand coolers, put a meals worth of food into it, and carry it back to the room. They also have the big coolers with wheels on them now.

I just re-read it will just be the two of you. Well, when we traveled before kids we still brought this type of food. Will the place you are staying have barbecues? We utilize those, too.

Hope this information was useful to you or someone. :o

have fun!