PDA

View Full Version : Can Mary Blair be saved? Or DCA

Imaginears
11-23-2007, 01:41 AM
I have always been a fan of Mary Blair's work. I was so disheartened when I thought that the Murals that once graced the walls of Tomorrowland were destroyed. I was a kid and remember looking at how whimsical or "Happy" they looked. Now I hear they amay not have been destroyed. Can they be saved and Why aren't Walt Disney approved works treated more carefully? I think this will be one of those cases where people will look back in a hundred years and be "What were people thinking destroying such culturally significant pieces?" These old pieces really should be saved and put on display. they should be respected and revered.
This brings me to another thought. Am I they only one horrified at the thought that Disney is going to destroy those gorgeous tile Murals at the DCA entrance. I think those tiles are beautiful and if decided not to grace the DCA park How about the DLR Parking lot or some other area. It's obvious the detail and artsmanship that went into them. Why not utilise them somewhere else. Antone have any knowledge as to what the tile walls fate are?

carolinakid
11-23-2007, 05:07 AM
but just wanted to give a big shout out to another Mary Blair fan!!! (I'm sure someone (dark beer?) will be along soon with some answers...)

Bytebear
11-23-2007, 09:01 AM
I agree. Save the DCA tiles. At least so they can be incorporated somewhere else. I am thinking they would fit nicely somewhere near the Disneyland hotel, perhaps near or in place of the old water show they had there.

foolishmortal
11-23-2007, 10:58 AM
I miss the mary blair works I think tomarrowland is so sad without them. I'm hopeing they don't destroy the Dca tiles they are so pretty! I took so many pictures of them on our trip at the beginng of this month!! I think they were made by Duncan ceramics in fresno but don't know for sure it looks like their work. I might call them and find out for sure for everyone when they come back in on monday. The last piece of DCA tile they took down they sold on disney auction when it was on ebay. I bid on it but lost it as I ended up going out of town when before it ended. It sold for 350$ was 6x10 piece ocean themed. So sorry I didn't get it. It seems soo many of the really neat icons are just tossed in a corner of a warehouse and let to rot, makes me sad to see such works of art treated that way. I own half of the tomarrowland crown from the 50th and it never will be treated that way. I'm sorry to say that the fate of the others will be pieced out on ebay.:crying: Tinkerbell has all ready been cut and sold from her crown on ebay. :eek:The Indiana jones one was cracked when loaded into the sellers uhaul and mickey is missing soo many of the big gems from his crown. I am missing one from mine but little bro is making a replacement for it. I still can't get an answer from the park as to who made the crowns and cast the gems to try to get the same Co to cast a replacment gem so my Bro. is doing it for me.
I have been trying to find out the fate of the tiles but my soure is haveing a hard time getting any answers on the subject. By the way I soo miss the water show at DLH way shut it down? It could not have been that costly to do.? It made the DLH soo special, we only got to see it once on our first trip back to dl in 2003 I'm soo sad that my 4yr will never get to see it and he still has not seen ELP they hardly ever run it and it is still the best parade they have!!!!!! Oh well we can only hope that some day the Disney CEO's will be real disney fans not just business prats that have never really been disney people. The CO. should promote from it's own not outside "harvad types" but one can only hope.
I'll see what I can find out on my end, I'l try to post anything
I find out on monday.
kat

foolishmortal
11-23-2007, 11:03 AM
bytebear good idea for the tiles! How about the walls of PPH ?It could use the tiles to line the PPh grill maybe or lobby?
kat