PDA

View Full Version : Premier Shop / Pin Central soft opening Friday.

AVP
08-02-2002, 11:23 AM
According to CMs at Disneyland, the new "Pin Central" location at the Premier Shop in Tomorrowland will have a "soft opening" at 4:00 today.

The official grand opening is 8:00 am tomorrow morning.

AVP

mcampisi
08-02-2002, 12:53 PM
What exactly are they making different about this section? Is it all the pins all over the park in one place?

LeslieluvMcky
08-02-2002, 10:33 PM
We were there today and its pretty neat for the pin collectors...they also have a build your own pin (I'm not sure if this is new) section and a print on demand section. They also have tables for traders.

Uncle Dick
08-03-2002, 01:08 AM
The ribbon-cutting will be at 930. The new area will apparently host the Kids Only Pin Trading events for now on.

ILikeScrooge
08-03-2002, 08:35 AM
Yes, there was a soft opening yesterday. I was at the Park last night and stopped by.

The new location (ALL pins are GONE from Showcase!) is nice but it will be CRACY. There is no optin for in one door and out another path option and the opening will be chocked with people! There are two stand-up tables in the middle for pin trading, and maybe three people can get around them. The new Rack is along one wall about 6 feet wide and 6 feet tall. If your lucky, maybe two people can get pins off the rack at the same time.

The new Building a Pin (BAP) area is nice but poorly organized. On the right as you enter the new shop are all the backings and general stock for the BAP but the equipment is on the left. In addition, there is a Print on Demand area that further complicates the crowding and activities in the new Shop.

Rumor has it that once the American Space Experience Exhibit leaves the pin area will expand into that space. That will significantly improve the area!

I am very glad I saw the area during the “soft” opening so I will not be there for the MAD DASH AND CRUSH that is happening as we speak (it’s 9:30 PDT and the official opening of the area).

JeffG
08-03-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by ILikeScrooge

Rumor has it that once the American Space Experience Exhibit leaves the pin area will expand into that space. That will significantly improve the area!

This wouldn't surprise me at all, but it would certainly be something that I would find extremely irritating. I would >really< hate to see one of the few truly futuristic elements of Tomorrowland replaced by a merchandising location hawking the latest fad of the day.

-Jeff

cstephens
08-03-2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by JeffG
This wouldn't surprise me at all, but it would certainly be something that I would find extremely irritating. I would >really< hate to see one of the few truly futuristic elements of Tomorrowland replaced by a merchandising location hawking the latest fad of the day.

How about if they just replace the "Mission to Mars" stuff?

JeffG
08-04-2002, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by cstephens

How about if they just replace the "Mission to Mars" stuff?

Now that I would definitely like to see them do. The exhibit most definitely needs to be updated. I just would like to see it updated as an exhibit, not converted into a shop.

With the primary pin shop now located in the Premiere Shop, I wonder if they are going to start using the Rocket Rods queue for some of the long lines generated by new pin releases.

-Jeff

Andrew
08-04-2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by JeffG
With the primary pin shop now located in the Premiere Shop, I wonder if they are going to start using the Rocket Rods queue for some of the long lines generated by new pin releases.

Forget the queue, how about using the track for pin lines? The PeopleMover was about 3/4 of a mile, that should be more than enough for new release pin crowds. I can just imagine the pin collectors lined up on the track all the way around...

TP2000
08-04-2002, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by ILikeScrooge
Yes, there was a soft opening yesterday. I was at the Park last night and stopped by.

That is not good news.

Personally, I wish Disneyland USA would have the backbone to do what Tokyo Disneyland and the Oriental Land Company did with their "pin trading". The Japanese stopped carrying that type of merchandise and discontinued any formal or official sanctioning of the "hobby" inside their Parks. The Japanese simply didn't feel that was what Disneyland was meant to turn into for it's Guests, and I agree with them. Why is it the Japanese somehow are beating us at the game of what a Disney Park, let alone a Disneyland, is supposed to be?

If the American Space Experience is replaced with an expanded store of racks of pins and tables and chairs for "trading", I think Disneyland will have sunk to a new low based purely on the principal of that development.

And what ever happened to beany babies?

Lost Boy
08-04-2002, 07:20 PM
Actually, Tokyo Disneyland closed down all pin trading in the Park as the crazy fantatics where beating up Cast Members for their pins. The Japanese go overboard for anything Disney (I have a friend who worked there for 7 months last year) and with the Pin Trading it just went way over the top. So after several confrontations that led to people getting hurt, the Pin Trading was stopped.
There is another thing at Tokyo DL that they have stopped also, and that is people camping out along Main Street and other places for up to 9 or 10 hours, complete with blankets and picnic food, just to get a spot for the night parade. You had to crawl over hordes of camping people just to get into the park. They will come in at opening and spend the day waiting in one spot for the night Parade (Dreamlights right now, but for all night parades) and the management has finally decided that this must stop. It has become a traffic hazard and just looks bad.

But I am also sad to see exhibit areas of the Park being turned into fad of the month merchandise stores. I like to get pins, but I don't go nuts over them. And I certainly won't stand in huge lines just to get a limited pin. Please!!! There is so much more to do and much nicer merchandise to purchase than a stupid pin.
But then, you all know how I feel about traders and dealers ruining a fun hobby. They did it to Sports Trading Cards, then Non Sports Trading Cards, then Action Figures and now Disney Pins.:crying:

Uncle Dick
08-05-2002, 04:36 AM
The Premiere Shop certainly wasn't at a loss for customers yesterday. Approaching the shop from the Club Buzz stage, I froze in my tracks as I viewed the hordes of pin traders assembled in front of the American Space Experience (which was essentially cut-off to guests due to the huge line). In order to keep the pathway in between the Space Experience and PeopleMover track clear, the line had to be extended all the way out to Cosmic Waves, with a break in the middle for traffic headed to Club Buzz. Crazy.

AVP
08-05-2002, 06:07 AM
Tokyo is actually starting a new pin program this fall. I was really glad that the park took a stand on the issue when they ended pin trading, and made the a decision they thought was best for their guests. I *hope* they don't regret changing their minds, but I wonder if the sales were just too much to pass up.

AVP

Matterhorn Fan
08-05-2002, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick
I froze in my tracks as I viewed the hordes of pin traders assembled in front of the American Space Experience (which was essentially cut-off to guests due to the huge line).Entrance to the American Space Experience--Denied?! I am APPALLED! :mad: Just think of all those tourists who bought a ticket to Disneyland, only to realize that they would be unable to enjoy thier favorite attraction!

Today, the American Space Experience . . . tomorrow, Cosmic Waves. We cannot allow this to happen.

lisap
08-05-2002, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Matterhorn Fan
Entrance to the American Space Experience--Denied?! I am APPALLED! :mad: Just think of all those tourists who bought a ticket to Disneyland, only to realize that they would be unable to enjoy thier favorite attraction!

Whew!! Lucky for me I was able to sit at the doorway to the Pin Shop and enjoy the trailer for Mission to Mars at least twenty times Saturday night while my friends explored the new shop. I doubt I will ever have such luck again, what with the crowds and all!
:rolleyes:

cstephens
08-05-2002, 01:17 PM
The line was unbelievable yesterday. And the "event" was poorly coordinated. It's amazing to me that DL management can get one event so right and then completely screw up another later, similar event. Selling pins isn't a new thing for them. Selling limited edition pins isn't a new thing for them. Having lots of people show up for said pins isn't a new thing for them. So what gives with the mind wipe?

My husband and I had considered doing the sound pin thing but figured we wanted to see the pictures of them first. When we first got to DL, we stopped at the fire station to get some information, and after talking to a CM there, we decided we'd try it later in the day, when it might not be as crowded. We went off to have lunch with friends and then came back to pick up our maps at about 3pm. I hadn't realized until then that unlike prior years, you didn't have to pay to get the map, and the free pin you get for completing the map was indeed free. In years past, you had to pay for the map, and you'd get a free pin or two with the purchase and the ability to purchase other pins.

We went to the first two stations (Jungle Cruise and Small World) and then made our way over to the Premiere Shop - to find at about 3:30 that there was this huge line in front of the shop. We also discovered that various CMs were giving out seriously wrong information at various locations, either because they didn't bother to find out what was going on or they'd not been properly trained. There was no way we were standing in that line just to buy pins, even if it wasn't quite warm out, and we could definitely wait to see the store at some future time. As we were standing there and overhearing others' conversations, we ascertained that the pins were actually available elsewhere in the park (none of the CMs had been particularly helpful with that information), so we trekked back to those locations, got the pins there, came back to the Premiere Shop and got our final pins from the pin cart outside. This way, we got the pins we wanted, got some exercise, and didn't spend that entire time waiting in line.

I find it odd that people would wait 3 and 4 hours in a line just to buy pins (much less overnight during the character of the month Tink fiasco), but then people would probably find it odd that I would spend 3 hours waiting in line for a movie, so I guess people don't find odd the things they themselves like.

I sure hope they get their memory back when the "Where's Mickey" event comes around...

Not Afraid
08-05-2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by lisap

Whew!! Lucky for me I was able to sit at the doorway to the Pin Shop and enjoy the trailer for Mission to Mars at least twenty times Saturday night while my friends explored the new shop.

Now, come on, fess up------you were naping!:sleep:

I was really glad that we had the opportunity to actually go into the shop and look around because that really didn't happen on Sunday.

I am not a big Pin Trader or pin purchaser (and if you hear Fej calling me a PT just ignore him or ask him about his pin collection). I do have a small collection of pins I find attractive and characters I love so I am interested in seeing what new things are available.

I got the map on Sunday and thought it might be fun to get it stamped. It was and I was impressed that they decided to print one side on matte paper so the stamp ink didn't run. The process took about 10 minutes and we ended up with a cute little pin. The sound pins that were meant to go with the map were in the Premier Shop, which had a line longer than the Rocket Rods. Oh well, I was really only curious what type of "sound" a Space Mt. pin makes - certainly not Dick Dale music:eek: . I never found out.

The other thing that I wanted to accomplish that day was to get the GWP pin (of a famous BatB character......a.......VASE!!!!). I had to scramble around to find something that was in stock that I wanted to purchase. Dear CM Amanda keep me in good humor or I would've been pulling my hair out. Thank you Amanda!

I DID get into the shop at about 6:00. I tried to look around but kept tripping over the multitude or strollers and ECVs. I decided to just start standing in line and whoever wanted to throw their things in my basket could do that. I waited and waited an waited and waited and....well, you get the picture.....the slowest retail like I've EVER waited in (and it wasn't that long). I ended up getting the wonderful "D" and Tink pin designed by a CM who "no longer works at DL" and got more GWP pins ---but they were out at the Premier Shop. I was pretty much done with pin buying for the day. I was not looking forward to having any more experiences like this one - and my day was not all that bad.

I felt sorry for the die-hard pin fans that had to endure the bad organization and the heat. If that was me, I would use my pins as thumbtacks from now on.

When I stopped by the Town Square pin cart to pick up my GWP pins I had a short conversation with the CM there. I gave him a very brief overview and he let me know that I was not the first and only one with frustrations.

I think the only warm fuzzy I felt about the new Premier Shop is the old Tomorrowland vehicles used as decoration throughout the shop. However, that only reminds me how perfect TL used to be and that, now, it is all gone away.
:crying:

Sorry about the yammering guys. My fingers must be restless tonight.

Traci
08-05-2002, 03:27 PM
I find it odd that people would wait 3 and 4 hours in a line just to buy pins (much less overnight during the character of the month Tink fiasco), but then people would probably find it odd that I would spend 3 hours waiting in line for a movie, so I guess people don't find odd the things they themselves like.

I sure hope they get their memory back when the "Where's Mickey" event comes around...

I WAS IN THAT LINE!!! And you are right, the cast members did not know doodie!! I found out too (when it was too late) that you could buy these LE pins at special locations in the park, so I technically stood in line for one pin! Which was the Tour Guide Tinker Bell pin (which I was told could only be purchased at that shop). It was absolutely ridiculous!!!

Now, tell me about this "Where's Mickey" thing???

cstephens
08-05-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
The other thing that I wanted to accomplish that day was to get the GWP pin (of a famous BatB character......a.......VASE!!!!).

We thought that was odd as well. My husband and I were making guesses about what the six pins would be - Lumiere, Cogsworth, Mrs. Potts (with or without Chip), maybe the footstool/puppy, maybe the maid/duster, but we couldn't come up with six obvious ones. It never occured to us to include a flower vase.

Originally posted by Traci
Now, tell me about this "Where's Mickey" thing???

Go here (http://psc.disney.go.com/eventservices/event_disneyland114.html) for more information. The event date is Sunday, September 8. We haven't decided if we're doing that yet. We've got plans for later in the afternoon and aren't sure it's worth it to spend the early part of the day engaged in madness.