PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Castle: Yowza! or Yucky?

Pages : [1] 2

ladodgerjon
11-19-2007, 12:16 PM
Let me be clear: I LOVE the DLR during the holidays.

I also love the music... the parades... the window dressing... and the fun 'snow fall."

After visiting the park this weekend, I mostly love the lighting (and projection effects) on the castle.

That said, I have a VERY PICKY comment about some of the dressing they've added to the castle:

Specifically, I really don't like the 'icicle strand lighting' that is hanging from some portions of the castle.

I shuddered when I saw it-- perhaps because it reminds me of the stuff that I see hanging from a neighbor's porch in July. Bottom line: this effect is too off-the-shelf. I can get this sort of decoration at Target.

Again, I'm being HYPER PICKY, but this is an attention to detail that bothers me-- mostly because we've all come to expect more from the folks at WDI. Frankly, I expect more from the creative minds at Disney... like an art department that creates realistic icicles that 'magically' light-up from inside at the appointed moment.

Seeing the castle in this tacky lighting 'get up' makes me wonder when the whole affair will be officially sponsored by Target...??!!??

Anyone else with me on this, or am I just becoming a grumpy old man???

TTFN92
11-19-2007, 01:25 PM
I haven't seen it in person, but from the pics that I've seen it looks beautiful at night. Cinderella's castle at WDW looks beautiful too. I wish that I could get my house to look like that. I would love to see it in person, but not this year. Maybe next.

Bytebear
11-19-2007, 04:07 PM
We saw the castle on Saturday, and coming from the Fantastyland side, it was pretty pathetic that the back of the castle was not decorated with lights. It looked like bad backstage frump. I also thought going through the castle, the lights were pretty sad, and looked like a Costco kit. That said, from the end of Main Street, the castle looked really magical.

So my assesment:

Yowza from a distance, yucky up close.

Wobble
11-19-2007, 04:48 PM
I find icicle lights to be really pretty, personally, I have them in my dorm room. ;)

However, I haven't been in Disneyland personally to see it... so I don't know how those lights could look on the castle.

But as Spokker Jones mentioned, I don't think it's completely decorated yet.

ladodgerjon
11-19-2007, 05:34 PM
My assesment: Yowza from a distance, yucky up close.

From my perspective, I think this is a spot-on assessment.

As far as the other comment that said they had icicles in their dorm room, this is exactly my point: not a unique enough decoration for Disney's Imagineers. I think one of the joys of visiting the parks is to be exposed to new ideas & approaches that energize your own thinking. Off-the-shelf/ out-of-the-box techniques from Target don't belong at the Magic Kingdom (no offense from Target, because I think they have great, affordable product!).

Lost Boy
11-19-2007, 10:39 PM
I have only seen the videos that are popping up on You Tube. I did read that only phase 1 is working now, and that phase 2 will start just after Thanksgiving, meaning that the 5:30pm show will be different from the 7:30 show and then closer to December 1st, the Beleive Finale Portion will start. So it's still got some work.

Now, about the look. During the day, I agree it does look kind of tacky, and the back isn't even done at all and too many cords and plugs are just hanging loose. I hope they at least fix this area up neatly even if they don't think people pay any attention to the back of the Castle, they do.

At night, and again only from the videos I have seen, it looks amazing. I can't wait to see it in person soon. I think this is one of the best ideas they have come up with for Christmas yet. And this is only the first year, so it's a tweak and try again time until they find just the right mix of stuff to make it work in the day and be something spectacular at night. I say kudos to those that are dreaming all this new stuff up and please keep it coming.

bigrockstar
11-20-2007, 07:30 AM
Does the patchy snow on the roof of the castle look like a diseased animal loosing its fur? I might just be hallucinating.:|

River Belle
11-20-2007, 08:47 AM
Specifically, I really don't like the 'icicle strand lighting' that is hanging from some portions of the castle.

I totally agree. During the day, I think the icicle lights look pretty tacky, and not very "Disney" at all.

AVP
11-20-2007, 08:51 AM
I totally agree. During the day, I think the icicle lights look pretty tacky, and not very "Disney" at all.I think all holiday lights, no matter how well done, look like that in daylight. Have you see the Osborne lights at MGM during the daytime? It's a mess, an ugly eyesore.

AVP

princessy777
11-20-2007, 09:01 AM
I saw it in person last night. I thought it was gorgeous. But I'm a glass half full kind of person, not overly critical, so maybe I'm not a good judge.

yohomama212
11-20-2007, 09:13 AM
I love it. But I'm in the small and diminishing group of people who still likes to use their imagination every so often. Please don't dream my whole dream for me!

Elizabeth

charpaul
11-20-2007, 09:18 AM
I think that it is very beautiful at night. And I am hoping the show that goes with it is equally nice when they get that going.

MY problem with it is:
The castle now looks like it belongs in a different park than the rest of the Disneyland decorations. The ALL icy shimmering effect does not match anything else on Mainstreet or anywhere else in the park.
It is beautiful, but seems some how out of place. I am hoping that they can make it more like a part of the other holiday decor

Bytebear
11-20-2007, 09:22 AM
I think that it is very beautiful at night. And I am hoping the show that goes with it is equally nice when they get that going.

MY problem with it is:
The castle now looks like it belongs in a different park than the rest of the Disneyland decorations. The ALL icy shimmering effect does not match anything else on Mainstreet or anywhere else in the park.
It is beautiful, but seems some how out of place. I am hoping that they can make it more like a part of the other holiday decor

I was kind of thinking the same thing. Acutally, it would be cool if they took all of the trees and buildings on Main Street and made them white and snowy. The same thing goes for Fantasyland. It would be wonderful to walk through Fantastyland and feel like you were in a winter village. But the sad thing is, there are no holiday decorations there at all. :crying:

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
11-20-2007, 09:43 AM
I think all holiday lights, no matter how well done, look like that in daylight. Have you see the Osborne lights at MGM during the daytime? It's a mess, an ugly eyesore.

AVP

THat was my thought when we saw the Osborne lights during the day, how truly ugly the set up is, and then they came on, sigh, such beauty....

Crazy4DL
11-20-2007, 10:35 AM
So my assesment:

Yowza from a distance, yucky up close.

I totally agree. During the day, I think the icicle lights look pretty tacky, and not very "Disney" at all.

I agree with this sentiment.

The sun goes down and the lights come on and it was magical but during the day ride the rides and don't look too close at the hanging lights. ;)

petesimac
11-20-2007, 12:14 PM
YOWZA! Kudos to Disney for the great job! To all you naysayers, geeze guys, how good does Space Mountain look with the lights on, or POTC; the lights were designed for how they would look at night-time, not during the day.

Mickey
11-20-2007, 02:30 PM
Let me be clear: I LOVE the DLR during the holidays.

I also love the music... the parades... the window dressing... and the fun 'snow fall."

After visiting the park this weekend, I mostly love the lighting (and projection effects) on the castle.

That said, I have a VERY PICKY comment about some of the dressing they've added to the castle:

I shuddered when I saw it-- perhaps because it reminds me of the stuff that I see hanging from a neighbor's porch in July. Bottom line: this effect is too off-the-shelf. I can get this sort of decoration at Target.

Again, I'm being HYPER PICKY, but this is an attention to detail that bothers me-- mostly because we've all come to expect more from the folks at WDI. Frankly, I expect more from the creative minds at Disney... like an art department that creates realistic icicles that 'magically' light-up from inside at the appointed moment.

Seeing the castle in this tacky lighting 'get up' makes me wonder when the whole affair will be officially sponsored by Target...??!!??

Anyone else with me on this, or am I just becoming a grumpy old man???

I CANT BELIEVE WHAT I READ, THE SAME COMMENTS WERE MADE BY MY COUSIN HE SAID THAT IT IS A LITTLE TOO MUCH AND HE DID NOT LIKE IT, I PERSONALLY WAS IMPRESSED AT THE BEGINING BUT GETTING NEAR THE CASTLE YOU CAN NOTICE IT WAS JUST ALL INSTALED "QUICKLY" WITH NO DETAILS.

I think that it looks like its "another disneyland" the colors in main street are like red, gold, green, and you get to the hub and the castle is way to bright, I dont know but it dosent seem familiar, even though its a new experiment,
I really liked the crowns for the 50th I didint feel it so strange like the ice issue Im still thinking about if I like it

And another thing, the lights on the towers some glow in "squares" when they should be Synchronized all the same, like a "from up to down effect"

THpoohbear
11-20-2007, 04:58 PM
I think it looks beautiful.

My two gripes:
1) The lights don't go completely around. That part looks a little tacky.
2) Not all the effects are working yet. They should have had it all ready to go by Nov. 16.

spectromen
11-20-2007, 06:33 PM
and where are the supplemental trees in the moat as shown in all the concept art?

Bytebear
11-20-2007, 06:37 PM
And another thing, the lights on the towers some glow in "squares" when they should be Synchronized all the same, like a "from up to down effect"

I noticed that too. The roof is supposed to shimmer, but it looks too blocky. I hope they at least fix that.

dopey076
11-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Disney has not put the trees in the moats for a few years. I remember being there a couple years ago when the trees fell during high winds, and since then they have not been putting trees in.

zombie pirate
11-20-2007, 09:17 PM
Being from Southern California, I dont think it looks right from the pics I have seen. But I havent seen it in person yet.

nojarama
11-21-2007, 09:19 AM
I haven't seen it myself either (in person), but from what I've seen in pics, the effect look best at night (but then the snow doesn't seem right). And actually, I love what they did at WDW better. The snow is a great idea, but the netted lights (at WDW) look spectacular in comparison (at night, at least. During the day, I'm sure that looks odd as well). Isn't the netting effect what they do at DLP? That looks wonderful too! Very crystal-like.

Marasmama
11-22-2007, 02:41 AM
OK, I like what they did with the castle and I have to give kudos for the increased use Disney is giving the LED lights as part of the holiday decorations. The look of some of the C7 replacements takes a little getting used to since they're not as bright and come in less colors (they're easier to photgraph when on), but they are much more friendly to the environment since they last longer than incandescents and take much less electricity.

Mickeygirlforever
11-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Loved it!!! I was just there a couple days ago for a few days and thought it was beautiful!! It was beautiful watching them come on with the snow falling at 5:30 too. I also thought the snow looked pretty in the daytime too.