PDA

View Full Version : Moderator

DisneyGuy
06-14-2001, 09:06 AM
How do people become moderators?

Alex S.
06-14-2001, 10:24 AM
An administrator or a super-moderator changes a setting in that persons profile.

As for who becomes a moderator: currently we are only drawing from our pool of MousePlanet writers and behind-the-scenes people to perform moderation tasks. This is because we are still young and want to develop a reasonably consistant approach and style and we aren't sure how much moderating will eventually be needed.

Currently we have, if anything, too many moderators. There has been discussion of eventually drawing from our most trusted or respected community members to perform moderation roles (many boards do this) but that is way down the road right now.

Alex S.
06-14-2001, 10:24 AM
An administrator or a super-moderator changes a setting in that person's profile.

As for who becomes a moderator: currently we are only drawing from our pool of MousePlanet writers and behind-the-scenes people to perform moderation tasks. This is because we are still young and want to develop a reasonably consistant approach and style and we aren't sure how much moderating will eventually be needed.

Currently we have, if anything, too many moderators. There has been discussion of eventually drawing from our most trusted or respected community members to perform moderation roles (many boards do this) but that is way down the road right now.

JeffG
06-14-2001, 12:09 PM
Can a super moderator delete accidentally duplicated posts? :)

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)

-Jeff

Alex S.
06-14-2001, 12:49 PM
Yes, but a super-moderator has to also abide by the general policies I had a big hand in making . . . even if it prevents me from hiding my idiocy.

Matterhorn Fan
06-14-2001, 01:15 PM
No offense, but how exactly does that happen? A while back I noticed a typo just as I clicked the "Submit Reply" button, so I hit "Stop" and "Back" on my browser, and fixed it. When I hit "Submit Reply" again a few seconds later, I was told that I could not post so close together (forget what it said the time span was). It seemed to me at that point that you had pretty good safeguards up to prevent that kind of thing.

Alex S.
06-14-2001, 02:17 PM
That's a good point, Matterhorn Fan. As you may have seen, what happened was I submitted and then while waiting for it to go noticed that I had typed "persons" rather than "person's". I did exactly what you described (though I should know better). I don't know why it let me post more than once in the a short timeframe.

Perhaps as a super moderator I am exempt from that rule, I will have to look into it.

Napsto
06-16-2001, 09:30 AM
why didn't you just edi tyour post?

adriennek
06-16-2001, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Alex Stroup

Perhaps as a super moderator I am exempt from that rule, I will have to look into it.

So, Alex, I was wondering, as a "Super Moderator" do you have to wear tights and a cape while you sit at home and read the boards? :D

Adrienne K

TecTalker2K
06-16-2001, 06:58 PM
I think his big red S is appealing

Andrew
06-16-2001, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by adriennek
So, Alex, I was wondering, as a "Super Moderator" do you have to wear tights and a cape while you sit at home and read the boards? :D

At least Alex reads the boards from home. My Super Moderator outfit causes no end of funny looks at the office...

Lani
06-18-2001, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Matterhorn Fan
...When I hit "Submit Reply" again a few seconds later, I was told that I could not post so close together (forget what it said the time span was). It seemed to me at that point that you had pretty good safeguards up to prevent that kind of thing.
It's our spam-guard that prevents morons from repeatedly posting within a short time frame. Currently I believe the spamguard has been set to 30 seconds.

Mr D
06-19-2001, 08:19 PM
It is Lani and thank god we have it here at MP.