PDA

View Full Version : Ashes in Pirates

Pages : [1] 2

barely
11-15-2007, 07:48 AM
Our local newspaper (Santa Rosa Press Democrat) published a story this morning that a woman may have possibly sprinkled human ashes into the water of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride (EWWW!). Anyone else heard anything about this?!

princessy777
11-15-2007, 08:00 AM
There is a large article about this on another site. Yeah it was mostly in the "Captains Quarters". They do not detain people so she booked. They asked her what she was doing when she got off the ride and she said it was baby powder, lol. They vacummed it up. I guess it is a growing phenomonon.:rolleyes:

newhdplayer
11-15-2007, 08:11 AM
It might have been a (former) PAP'er. You never know.

Gone2Disneyland
11-15-2007, 09:00 AM
I'd read the above-mentioned article on line at MiceAge yesterday. Then, I was surprised to see the local ABC affiliate, ABC7, pick up on the article last night, including featuring an interview with Al Lutz.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=local&id=5762824

You can see that Disney's denying what the MiceAge article claims tho', that they were, in fact, cremated remains.

stan4d_steph
11-15-2007, 09:36 AM
Yes, it's good to see that we're getting things third-hand. That's hard-hitting journalism at its best.

Just because someone posts something on a message board, doesn't make it true. Granted, I can see that Disney might deny it if it did occur, but I would expect more than just taking something from a message board and calling it a source.

princessy777
11-15-2007, 10:24 AM
Yes, it's good to see that we're getting things third-hand. That's hard-hitting journalism at its best.

Just because someone posts something on a message board, doesn't make it true. Granted, I can see that Disney might deny it if it did occur, but I would expect more than just taking something from a message board and calling it a source.
It wasn't a post on a message board. It was an actual article on a web site. I don't know much about Mice Age but they seem to be fairly knowledgable and probably have CM sources.

Wobble
11-15-2007, 10:31 AM
I read that article on Mice Age and it said something about them calling in some type of chemical control, who can tell what kind of powder it is and then they used the vacuums that they use to pick up cremated remains. :S

Now I can't say if that's 100% true, but if it is... that's really awful that she threw it all over POTC (and by that I mean all over one specific area b/c according to Mice Age it was pretty well dispersed) and expected people not to notice. :( And it's even more awful that perhaps now her loved one is in a vacuum bag somewhere.

cstephens
11-15-2007, 10:33 AM
It wasn't a post on a message board. It was an actual article on a web site.

Same difference.

Hmmm, wonder if wikipedia has picked it up yet... :rolleyes:

Mermaid
11-15-2007, 11:18 AM
reminds me of when I saw Bob Saget... he had a joke that said "it is true I read it. I wrote it down and I read it. It must be true."

That said, I think people have probably spread ashes there and lots of other places!

janell
11-15-2007, 11:52 AM
If it was baby powder, why would she be getting ride of it on the ride?

bigrockstar
11-15-2007, 11:56 AM
Folks, I know that those of us who frequent these boards could be described as "fanatical" but please (and yes, I know I'm preaching to the choir here) do not scatter ashes at disneyland. I keep thinking about what it would be like to be riding on one of the lower levels of Soarin' if someone threw ashes from the top level. EEEWWW!! And what if the woman threw the ashes on diners at the BB? Ha ha. That would be disgusting. What if they stuck the ashes in a character's pocket? Yuck! :p

cstephens
11-15-2007, 12:02 PM
If it was baby powder, why would she be getting ride of it on the ride?

So people on websites could write articles about it.

MiaTurner
11-15-2007, 06:20 PM
I joke all the time that I want my ashes to be spread on Haunted Mansion when I die :) So when dad came home and told me that it really (may or may not have) happened, it just makes me giggle.

bassett1976
11-15-2007, 07:07 PM
Okay, am I the only one worried that someone could get an urn past the security checkpoint so easily? Just thinking outloud...

Darkbeer
11-15-2007, 07:12 PM
Okay, am I the only one worried that someone could get an urn past the security checkpoint so easily? Just thinking outloud...

Why would it have to be in a urn?

Someone could easily transfer the ashes to a plasitic baggie, or a small tupperware container.

bassett1976
11-15-2007, 07:27 PM

Someone could easily transfer the ashes to a plasitic baggie, or a small tupperware container.

I guess I'm assuming that someone would not want to transfer the ashes into another container. I personally would not like to do that myself.

MiaTurner
11-15-2007, 07:29 PM

That, and security can be super-tight or super-lax depending on the day. I've had people search my backpack for a good few minutes, and then I've had people take a glance at it and not even bother to check what's under my Jack coat which is covering EVERYTHING that's in my bag.

Wobble
11-15-2007, 07:30 PM
I guess I'm assuming that someone would not want to transfer the ashes into another container. I personally would not like to do that myself.

They threw them all over POTC in fistfuls. I doubt they would be squeamish or bothered to transfer them into a tuperware container.

....Allegedly.

VickiC
11-15-2007, 09:22 PM
You have to pay extra for an urn. They just gifve them to you in a cardboard box if you don't.

janell
11-15-2007, 11:08 PM
I don't think the security, is all that great. It really depends on the CM. Half the time they don't even look into my bag. They just wave me on in. So if you got one of those CM, you could get ashes in easily.

Shinku
11-16-2007, 01:56 AM
Really, this is our "news"? It's probably been happening to various degrees for years, but because TMZ picks up on it, it becomes hard-hitting journalism? Jeeze louise! It must be a very slow newsweek.

Remember when the news used to be news? :rolleyes:

bloodnswash
11-16-2007, 05:21 AM
Wow, sounds like there are at least a couple of Al Lutz haters here. And to think he used to work at MP.

I don't know if the whole ashes thing on POTC is true. But I can say that it definitely would not be a shocker to me if it is. I find it very hard to believe that this lady would be throwing baby powder all over the place.

As for Al's story on Miceage, I seriously doubt that he would lie about this. I for one want to know all the going ons at DL....good or bad. Whether you like a story or not...it is news.

If the people here actually read Al's article they would see that there is way more to it then what the local news station(s) gave you. He goes on to tell you about ashes found in the Haunted Mansion and how "The police identified the substance as human remains..." Yeah, way more to the Miceage story then what the local television station(s) reported.

stan4d_steph
11-16-2007, 05:41 AM
The story about the ashes in Haunted Mansion does not in any way verify the validity of the story about ashes on POTC.

Darkbeer
11-16-2007, 05:54 AM
Really, this is our "news"? It's probably been happening to various degrees for years, but because TMZ picks up on it, it becomes hard-hitting journalism? Jeeze louise! It must be a very slow newsweek.

Remember when the news used to be news? :rolleyes:

This "news" story, which started Tuesday from Al Lutz's column has already made the local papers (LA Times and the OC Register) and then the AP and UPI newswires, plus local TV station, KABC and KNBC both interviewed Al Lutz on Camera, and the story has been passed in a "shared feed" manner to many other local news stations in America.

The LA Times also got David Koenig, a MousePlanet contributor to comment in its Wednesday Morning article about the "ashes" story.

Darkbeer
11-16-2007, 05:58 AM
The story about the ashes in Haunted Mansion does not in any way verify the validity of the story about ashes on POTC.

But a Disneyland Spokesperson did confirm something happened last Friday on Pirates...

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-disney14nov14,0,5347524.story?coll=la-home-business

On Friday, workers at the Anaheim theme park spotted a guest on the ride sprinkling an unidentified substance into the water, prompting them to close the attraction and alert police.

"A witness described the substance as a baby powder that quickly dissipated," Disneyland resort spokesman Rob Doughty said. "We reopened the attraction after determining that there was no hazard to our guests."

Anaheim police decided not to take a report because they lacked a good description of the female suspect and the evidence was dumped into the water, Sgt. Rick Martinez said.