PDA

View Full Version : CM dating policies

Pages : [1] 2

swcrazy
08-01-2002, 12:01 AM
I am curious about Disney's policies on CM's hitting on/or getting hit on and the dating of guests. There are many times that I find a cute CM that I would love to give my number too but I'm unsure about the policies and don't want to put anyone in an awkward position.

Also are the CM's allowed to give out their numbers to guests. (I am assuming no but hoping yes ):D :cool:

stinkerbell
08-01-2002, 12:15 AM
I know for a fact that CM's do ask for numbers and do give their numbers out. ;) BUT, I'm not a CM, so I can't give you any help with their dating policies. I would assume it's not encouraged....but I really don't know! Anyone?

Kevin Yee
08-01-2002, 12:24 AM
CMs can get into trouble for attempting to hook up while in costume and/or onstage.

That said, no one hardly ever gets caught. Of course it goes on... all the time. But a CM who turns you down might be doing it because he/she fears getting into trouble.

Uncle Dick
08-01-2002, 12:32 AM
IIRC, CMs aren't supposed to be doing any propositioning while "on the clock", however, they are perfectly welcome to accept (or reject) the advances of a guest (all in the name of good service, of course). I know one guy who started talking to some chicks who were hanging around on the back of a tram for trip after trip after trip. During his break, he showed me a room number at the Disneyland Hotel he had gotten from one of them with an invitation to visit after he got off (of work, that is). Never did hear how that one turned out, but, now that I think about it, I haven't seen that guy around since! :eek:

Not that I've ever had any problems with guests asking me out. :rolleyes:

swcrazy
08-01-2002, 01:19 AM
Thanks guys, this info helps a lot. Maybe I will finally work up the courage and ask out that cast member who keeps catching my eye.

bluepearl
08-01-2002, 02:29 AM
swcrazy, while I was an AP, there were plenty of CMs that I wouldn't mind exchanging numbers with. ;) I'm a CM now, and turns out that some of the people I work with know some of those guys! Or at least know people who know them. It's a crazy web.

Anyway, someone once told me that a CM had to turn down an offer three times; then if a guest was still persistent, they could accept. And if it was another CM, then it was okay. :shrug: I never asked about it. I've done it once. Uncle Dick knows what I'm talking about. :lol:

Morrigoon
08-01-2002, 02:48 AM
Heheh....... (remembering crazy bachelorette party)

the valet staff at the DPH (now PPH) is very friendly ;)

tinkfreak
08-01-2002, 09:43 AM
Just be polite and discreet about the whole thing and I'm sure it'll be fine. (if your advances are welcome...:D )

Allysen1Derland
08-01-2002, 10:16 AM
Ooh! I like this thread!!

*Tips On Landing A CM*
By: Allysen (Former CM & Former Dater Extraordanaire!) :D heehee!

*Be confident, outgoing & friendly! (this tip applies to anywhere, not just the Magic Kingdom) Walk through that Castle entrance like you own it, baby! (haha!)

*Circle the Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes like a lusty shark. JUST KIDDING! :D However, when riding the canoes, make sure you sit in the very last row (so you can be thisclose to the very yummy oar-wielding CM in back!) Remember, this doesn't work as well with the CM upfront! He's too busy reciting a spiel. The one in back, though, has plenty o' free flirting time! But you ask, "Allysen, will this get me a Canoe rowin' man?" Shucks! It got me 3! (AT DIFFERENT TIMES, mind you! And they were nice relationships, so you 'll know I'm NOT some kind of sleazy canoe groupie!!)

*When aboard the Jungle Cruise, sit near the Skipper, giggle at all of his jokes, and bat those baby browns! (or blues, greens, & hazels!). Don't forget to flash those pearly whites! and then give yourself a big ol' pat on the back when the Skipper asks for your phone number! ;)

Lastly.......

*DON'T film the object of your affection on a hand-held camcorder when she is working, or "conveniently" be in all the same locations she is when she is visiting the park after her shift. DO NOT admit that, yes, you are watching her at all times and know where she's always going to be. Lastly, DON'T follow her when she is alone in the parking lot! :eek:
( I speak from a very scary experience with a very agressive guest. He did all of the above to me, and I was too scared to tell anybody. I finally broke down and told my supervisor, who actually told me, "Why didn't you tell me about this sooner? I care about my CM's and their safety more than the guests". I felt so supported! However, I did feel guilty when they revoked his AP (although I was told he had prior incidents of troublesome behavior in the park, including once diving into the Rivers Of America!) :(

WHEW!!Could I sound more like a "The Rules" reading man-trap???? Haha!:D In all honesty, I'm really not (and I don't even own "The Rules"!). I just have such fun memories of being so young & naive, and flirting in all of those corny, girly ways that I did! Ah, seventeen! :rolleyes:

I know you'll get your CM, swcrazy! Please keep me posted!

And give that CM your digits! :D

Andrew
08-01-2002, 11:07 AM
I dated a CM once, a couple of years before meeting my wife. Basically just happened to "click" while buying candy at a cart, managed for once to overcome my shyness and got her number.

The problem was that after our two-month romance ended, I kept seeing her at the park... :rolleyes:

Uncle Dick
08-01-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Allysen1Derland
*DON'T film the object of your affection on a hand-held camcorder when she is working,
Whoops! A little too late for that one. :D

swcrazy
08-01-2002, 04:28 PM
Thanks for all the tips Allysen1Derland.

How did you know that I always head towards the canoe boys and the jungle cruise boys? hehe

Hades
08-01-2002, 05:06 PM
*Be confident, outgoing & friendly! (this tip applies to anywhere, not just the Magic Kingdom) Walk through that Castle entrance like you own it, baby! (haha!)

This one, folks, is tried and true! That is the way Allysen and I got our friendship started all those years ago! (well, as many years as she is willing to admit too, anyway! JK Allysen! Love you hun! :D).

I heard about this new CM that was working in my dept. back then. A really cute girl with a voice that sounded "Just like Snow White", as a fellow CM had described. I was interested in seeing this girl, she sounded real interesting to me, so I took a little side trip during my break, to meet her.

I found her interacting with a little girl that was just loving all the attention she was getting from Allysen. The more Allysen talked, the more the little girl smiled, the more I smiled. She had a wonderful attitude, she was gorgeous, and that voice was HEAVENLY to me! I was hooked!

After she finished talking with the little girl (she had to go because her parents were leaving the store at that moment) I approached Allysen and told her that I was very impressed with the way she interacted with the little girl. I introduced myself, and struck up a little conversation about working there at the DLH.

Allysen had just started working there, having transfered from the Park to the Hotel (thank God for little favors! hehe!). After that little meeting, I would pay her a visit with small boquets of flowers I would make (and I do mean small! Little floral arrangements I would make with whatever flowers I found growing around the Hotel grounds, which were no bigger than your palm) just to make her smile. I then fashioned a little card with a drawing I made of me sitting in a teacup with a smile, that said, "Would you care to join me in a cup of coffee?" She said yes!

Although we didn't get to dating each other, we bonded as best friends. And a lot of good times we have had together! :D

Moral of the story: Leave the lines at home and, as the Genie from "Aladdin" says, "Just BEEEE yourself!" :D

Hades
08-01-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick

OMG! That's funny! I still remember that little 'Cymbal gal' of yours, Uncle Dick! She was a hottie!

bluepearl
08-01-2002, 07:15 PM
Is stinkerbell reading around these parts? I used to have short conversations with her about crushing on CMs. :lol:

I have a crush on someone who works at DCA (well, maybe two, but one of them has a girlfriend). Since Allysen was so kind to outline some tips, what would you think of just going up to the person and saying, "Hi, my name is -insert name here-. I work over there and I was wondering if you wanted to hang out sometime?"

SoCalDisneyLover
08-03-2002, 12:48 AM
I hate to bring this message back up to the top, but I too had been curious about this whole question I went on July 17 and on the way in I encountered a very attractive "bag check" lady. Anyways...I had no bags, but said a somewhat bland, "hello, how are you...blah, blah. Anyways, that was about it. Thinking that even though I had an AP, I'd probably never see her again.

Tonight, on my way out, she was the "hand stamp" lady. I walked out her exit, not needing a hand stamp since it was past 11, and I was headed home. Not that I would get one anyways...although I suppose if I was less shy, I might have actually said something significant to her as I passed through. Duh! Anyways, I told my friend about it, and he offered to wait while I went back and said hi. Nice of him, since we came in separate cars and were parked in separate lots. Perhaps he wanted to see a "crash and burn" a la Top Gun.

So, I suppose since there are people on this board who work at, or are familiar with faces or individuals at the park, I thought I'd mention it. Without saying too much, her name begins Dan..... I won't drag this onto the message board, so just private message me if you have any guidance or suggestion on approaching or Not, this total stranger at my county's small amusement park. Otherwise I'll probably just wait until it's too late.

Trader Sam
08-03-2002, 01:42 PM
Policy, what policy? lol Doesn't really matter...

I once got 5 numbers in less than 2 weeks! :) They just gave them to me. lol Nothing happened with them because they were all too young.....

You're technically not supposed to hit on guests, but everyone does it, it's only natural....lol

The object of the game is not get caught, but I've had leads watch me or other CM's hit on girls, and they could care less. They're cheering us on. lol

Ace
08-04-2002, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by swcrazy
Thanks guys, this info helps a lot. Maybe I will finally work up the courage and ask out that cast member who keeps catching my eye.

Oh, the one in the llama costume?

NO PLEASE DON'T HIT ME, NO PLEASE NOT THE BELT NO NO NO

Allysen1Derland
08-05-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by bluepearl

I have a crush on someone who works at DCA (well, maybe two, but one of them has a girlfriend). Since Allysen was so kind to outline some tips, what would you think of just going up to the person and saying, "Hi, my name is -insert name here-. I work over there and I was wondering if you wanted to hang out sometime?"

Ohmigosh, Bluepearl!! I think I did that, too! I read your post and got instant Deja Vu!! :D

I'm all for this technique!! And let me just say, it made me a major fan of nametags at the time! I would be waiting in line for an attraction, popcorn, or whatever, see the CM of my dreams, and say, "Hi, insert-name-here!" Of course, being that all CM's are friendly and social (well, 99.9% of them! :D ) , he/she will say "Hi!" in return. Then, I would say, "So, do you enjoy working here, insert-name? It must be so much fun working at Star Tours/ Pirate's/ Outdoor vending (or wherever the desired CM is at! I'm just throwing out examples!) when they'd reply with their answer, I'd immediately reply in return, "I'm also a cast member here at the park, too, and I love it! I'm having so much fun! They'll ask you next where you work, and thus, a conversation is born! And I have to admit, sometimes I'd be really gutsy and say, "I just hired in recently, so I don't really know a lot of people! But I'm hoping to make lots of new friends! I'd like to go into the park more often after my shift, but I feel so silly going alone!" this is to seal the deal and get your dream CM to say, "Well, if you'd like, I'll hang out with you sometime in the park!" BINGO! And your dream CM never needs to know that you really do enjoy going to the park alone, and that you were a new hire, well, 5 years ago. (In my case, I was a new hire, but I still kept acting like one months down the line! Haha!) :D

You have to go for it, Bluepearl!! And I want all the details of the date with your dream CM that I just know is going to happen as a result of it! ;)

Allysen1Derland
08-05-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick

Haha!:D But your'e an exception!

She's a talented entertainer performing in a show with an audience!

Now, if she was filling up sodas and ringing up hot dogs like I was, well, then there's a whole different story! :D I mean, yikes! Who would ever wanna see that?

RStar
08-06-2002, 09:29 AM

And give that CM your digits! :D

And if you don't want them, give them the middle one!:D

Just kidding........

I can't belive I just said that!:eek:

Ok, I'll go to my corner now....

Allysen1Derland
08-06-2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by RStar

And if you don't want them, give them the middle one!:D

Just kidding........

I can't belive I just said that!:eek:

Ok, I'll go to my corner now....

Haha! LOL!!:D

And I almost wrote "number" instead of "digits"in that reply! I'm glad I didn't! :D

Very clever, RStar!! :D

Al ;)

PhilMP
08-06-2002, 11:32 PM

Ohmigosh, Bluepearl!! I think I did that, too! I read your post and got instant Deja Vu!! :D

I'm all for this technique!! And let me just say, it made me a major fan of nametags at the time! I would be waiting in line for an attraction, popcorn, or whatever, see the CM of my dreams, and say, "Hi, insert-name-here!" Of course, being that all CM's are friendly and social (well, 99.9% of them! :D ) , he/she will say "Hi!" in return. Then, I would say, "So, do you enjoy working here, insert-name? It must be so much fun working at Star Tours/ Pirate's/ Outdoor vending (or wherever the desired CM is at! I'm just throwing out examples!) when they'd reply with their answer, I'd immediately reply in return, "I'm also a cast member here at the park, too, and I love it! I'm having so much fun! They'll ask you next where you work, and thus, a conversation is born! And I have to admit, sometimes I'd be really gutsy and say, "I just hired in recently, so I don't really know a lot of people! But I'm hoping to make lots of new friends! I'd like to go into the park more often after my shift, but I feel so silly going alone!" this is to seal the deal and get your dream CM to say, "Well, if you'd like, I'll hang out with you sometime in the park!" BINGO! And your dream CM never needs to know that you really do enjoy going to the park alone, and that you were a new hire, well, 5 years ago. (In my case, I was a new hire, but I still kept acting like one months down the line! Haha!) :D

You have to go for it, Bluepearl!! And I want all the details of the date with your dream CM that I just know is going to happen as a result of it! ;)

Let me tell you why this won't work on a veteran Outdoor Vendor...

1) Veteran ODVers HATE

PhilMP
08-06-2002, 11:39 PM

Let me tell you why this won't work on a veteran Outdoor Vendor...

1) Veteran ODVers HATE new hires. If other department new hires are like ODV new hires...they come from the extremely shallow end of the gene pool. I don't know, maybe I'm just bitter.

2) Veteran ODVers HATE going back into the park after/before work, we'd much rather go get drunk and forget about all the stupid Guests and APs we had to put up with.

3) Veteran ODVers HATE...or are bitter about being in ODV. Unless the veteran ODVer is in a backstage position a lot (not me), they don't like ODV, but don't want to give up their seniority to transfer.

So, if you want to pick up a veteran ODVer (look for the year pin), don't try to spiel a date from him/her, it won't work.

Phil

bluepearl
08-07-2002, 02:12 AM
Well, I haven't really met or talked to any ODV guys, but Phil's post is noted.

Allysen, I can't quite use the new hire excuse because I've been working there for a good while and before that, I was an AP. :lol: We'll see if I ever get the courage to say something!