PDA

View Full Version : What do you think....

DL*Guy
07-31-2002, 04:24 PM
....Disney will do to celebrate Disneyland's 50 Anniversary?
Will they have TV specials?
A new parade?
Makeover of existing rides?
Get a new ride?
A makeover for the castle (Like WDW did for the 25th)?
Will DCA join the party as well Disney parks all over the world?

I hope so that would be cool!!:cool:
But what do you guys think, will this celebration be the biggest ever or be a soft celebration (like the 45th)?

disguy
07-31-2002, 06:02 PM
I don't think they have had a Tv special since the 35 Birthday with Donna Summers and all that. That was a blast.

DisneylandKid
07-31-2002, 06:30 PM
There have been a bunch of threads about the topic and the word is that they are going to almost completely redo The Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain, and "it's a small world" completely, updating them with new effects, scenes, etc.

PXSgeek
07-31-2002, 08:00 PM
I have a funny fealing about it.
I think that updating the rides would be great, i would love to see a parade, i think this disney celebration should be unique to DL MUCH LIKE WALTS 100TH BDAY WAS TO WDW!!!!!!:mad:
as ive heard some people say, i would love to see the people mover back and a complete repaint of tommorowland, bring circle vison back, and PLEASE update Star Tours, every time a new Star Wars movie comes out it makes me more depressed to see just how old the ride is.
Id love for the 3d theatre to be completally moved to replace innoventions and taking its place would be a heavily updated Space Mountain that would be an exact copy of the one in DLP.
A new arcade and new monorails would be cool too. I know its too much to ask BUT SOMETHINGS GOTTA BE DONE!! I DONT CARE IF WE HAVE NO FANTASMIC FOR THE NEXT 10 YEARS IF THATS WHAT IT TAKES!!:mad:

AnimeNut
08-01-2002, 02:41 PM
I actually would not mind seeing Starcade wiped out completely. Sure, I have a lot of fond memories of it from back in the day, but that was when it was a 2-level arcade, and I wasn't paying for my own admission.

Nowadays, not only is it half-used, but the games that are there are either out of date or just plain lame. The arcades in each of the hotels are better outfitted currently than Starcade is.

Plus - and I know I'm gonna get bashed for this - don't y'all think there are better things to do in a $45-admission theme park than spend more money playing games that you can find back home?

I say, build a sweet new arcade in DTD, load it with a good mix of retro (Tron!!!) and new (Dance Dance Revolution!!!). Since DTD doesn't cost you anything to enter, pay-per-play arcade games are a lot more appealing.

With all that taken care of, we've got a huge open space in Tomorrowland that's really generic in structure. Disney can build any attraction they want there without having to worry about the constraints of a pre-existing ride frame.

Cheers,
Anime Nut

P.S. Of course, knowing Pressler & Co., Tomorrowland will just get a new souvenir shop and/or character greeting area... and a DOUBLE-LEVEL one at that!

DisneyFreak2000
08-01-2002, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by PXSgeek
BUT SOMETHINGS GOTTA BE DONE!! I DONT CARE IF WE HAVE NO FANTASMIC FOR THE NEXT 10 YEARS IF THATS WHAT IT TAKES!!:mad:

BITE YOUR TOUNGUE!!!! DONT SAY SOMETHING STUPID LIKE THAT!!!!!

Nigel2
08-01-2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by AnimeNut
I say, build a sweet new arcade in DTD, load it with a good mix of retro (Tron!!!) and new (Dance Dance Revolution!!!). Since DTD doesn't cost you anything to enter, pay-per-play arcade games are a lot more appealing.

I don't know if you have ever been to one but if you want an arcade with a mix of games like that then Disney Quest is what you are looking for.:)

AnimeNut
08-02-2002, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Nigel2

I don't know if you have ever been to one but if you want an arcade with a mix of games like that then Disney Quest is what you are looking for.:)

Hey, I live in Chicago, so I'm no stranger to good ol' DisneyQuest. I'm still fuming over its abrupt shutdown last September. At least the original site in Orlando is still open, but I doubt there'll be any new locations in the near future.

DQ not only had a great selection of new games, but they devoted an entire area to nothing but classic games from the '70s and '80s. We're talkin' Star Wars, Q-bert, Jungle King, Tron and Discs of Tron, Gorf, Donkey Kong Jr... the list goes on.

Sure, the DQ main attractions were plenty fun in their own right (especially POTC: Battle for Buccaneer Gold), but I honestly spent the majority of my time in the arcade areas.

I think DQ's main weakness was the fact that you had to pay to enter the complex. It turned off a lot of curious guests who just didn't feel like ponying up the cash for something that they've never seen before. Either that, or it probably had something to do with the video screen outside showing a prepubescent Mandy Moore enjoying DQ's attractions with her fake family.

Cheers,
Anime Nut

Nigel2
08-02-2002, 09:09 PM
I bet they are basically exactly the same (both the Chi town one and the DTD one), I think the area with all the retro games was called the dungeon or something like that (a subterainan sounding name). Also after what happend with DQ they got rid of the department in charge of it and move them into some other Regional thing that deals with things like ESPN zone (someone else was talking about it).:)