PDA

View Full Version : a space mountain suggestion

DonaldDuck14
07-31-2002, 02:58 PM
ok...u know when u are ready to get on the rockets in the loading area? well there is all that extra space next to the lines where the cast members put u before u go on the ride. i think they should use that to let people off the ride like the matterhorn...know what i mean. because i hate how they want u out of the rocket like under a second...and then rush the next load right in. i almost fell into my seat because one of the cast members kinda pushed me in to "help" me get in faster. so i say they should have an exit platform and a loading platform....maybe it can help speed up the line too. what do u guys think??? and i was wondering...w/ that extra space next to the loading/exit platform...did they have another loading platform like how splash mtn. has two? it looks like it, i mean they have those dispatch machines with covers on it.:confused:

Cadaverous Pallor
07-31-2002, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by DonaldDuck14
i almost fell into my seat because one of the cast members kinda pushed me in to "help" me get in faster.
Ok, first of all, they should not be shoving people into the rockets, or pulling them out either. Manhandling is unacceptable.

I'll keep your question in mind next time we hit the resort...but others will get there first, I guarantee.

Disney Nick
07-31-2002, 03:07 PM
I believe they used to do exactly as you suggest. However, I haven't seen them use it for a while, so I'm kind of clueless. Help anyone? SpacedOutCM?

innerSpaceman
07-31-2002, 04:53 PM
Just FYI, in Florida, the unloading of Space Mountain is in a completely DIFFERENT ROOM than the loading of the ride. (Same with their Pirates of the Caribbean). I don't know how this affects the cycle time, but I think it's kind of a neat system, and it avoids some of the pitfalls that Disneyland's usually efficient, but sometimes hectic "load-go-load-go" system has.

Uncle Dick
07-31-2002, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by DonaldDuck14
ok...u know when u are ready to get on the rockets in the loading area? well there is all that extra space next to the lines where the cast members put u before u go on the ride. i think they should use that to let people off the ride like the matterhorn...know what i mean. because i hate how they want u out of the rocket like under a second...and then rush the next load right in. i almost fell into my seat because one of the cast members kinda pushed me in to "help" me get in faster. so i say they should have an exit platform and a loading platform....maybe it can help speed up the line too. what do u guys think???
There's one simple reason why the "unload" area is rarely used: money. It takes an extra CM to man the little control panel there and exit guests. They do use that unload area on occasion, I guess during busier periods when they really want to move people through, or perhaps when the attraction starts to back up.

MonorailMan
07-31-2002, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick

There's one simple reason why the "unload" area is rarely used: money. It takes an extra CM to man the little control panel there and exit guests. They do use that unload area on occasion, I guess during busier periods when they really want to move people through, or perhaps when the attraction starts to back up.

Well, if I could I'd man the little station for free. :)

In fact, volenteering at DL sounds like a good, and (get this Eisner) cheap way to get more CMs. :D

swcrazy
07-31-2002, 11:18 PM
When space mountain gets backed up and it takes a little longer to load the rockets than the ride timing can handle, they do let people off in the extra area. If the timing gets too far off then the ride shuts down and they have a 10 minute recycle they must do.

A friend once told me that they have only 20 seconds to get the current group off the rocket and the new group on. Can anyone verify this?

Try watching the cast members the next time you are there. If a group takes too long to load/unload you can see them start to sweat and debate on opening the other unload area.

Niwel
08-01-2002, 10:56 AM
They have the optional extra unload at a few fantasyland attractions:
Keep an eye out next time you are on Mr. Toad, Snow White or Pinocchio -- I worked all of those and if we were backing up into the attractions, we could move people up to get two cars off at once... I don't know how often its used at pinocchio or SW (although I am glad they fixed the unload so people don't get off in the wrong spot or (even forbid) hang out waiting for people)
They use it on Toad quite a bit.

As far as special load ... they use it at Alice so they can get more people through faster (if there was no 'load' the ride operator could do it) although I think for safety reasons they always have a load person)

I agree they should change it at Space Mountain (the car stops in the spcae anyway while the car in front unloads) ... but I guess this way they don't have to hire an additional CM

SpacedOutCM
08-01-2002, 02:33 PM
The Unload area is used a lot but only a few selected Cast Members know the position.

Originally posted by Uncle Dick

We use it if we have extra Cast Members. It's not a position that we need to staff. On busy days we will usually have someone there.

Originally posted by swcrazy

When space mountain gets backed up and it takes a little longer to load the rockets than the ride timing can handle, they do let people off in the extra area. If the timing gets too far off then the ride shuts down and they have a 10 minute recycle they must do.

A friend once told me that they have only 20 seconds to get the current group off the rocket and the new group on. Can anyone verify this?

Try watching the cast members the next time you are there. If a group takes too long to load/unload you can see them start to sweat and debate on opening the other unload area.

I don't want to get into detail about how the whole station operates but if a Cast Member is at Unload, they make the descision of either letting the guest unload there or have them unload at the next stop.

20 seconds is correct but it depends on how many rockets we are using. It's not always 20 seconds. It can be slower than that.

TerryTiger
08-02-2002, 11:26 AM
It was being used one day last week when I rode. Can't remember which day tho. I thought at the time that it worked well and should always be used.